•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino for solar

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 kimcheese

kimcheese

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 47N 91W

Posted 05 December 2023 - 02:27 PM

Using linear binoviewer on the Lunt 50mm.  Only pair of EPs owned are the Lunt and SVbony zooms.  Only using the Lunt zooms for solar observation.  Limited to ~35x for full disk and proms in the "sweet spot". Winter seeing conditions have not been ideal. Recently bit  pointless for higher magnification due to the combination of seeing conditions and limited resolution of a 50mm aperture.  Nothing to compare this set up against.  Happy with what I view.  The additional depth, detail is worth the money spent.  

Cloudy morning.  Terrestrial viewing with the BV and Lunt zooms on the refractor using a 45degree 1/2 pentaprism diagonal.  Flat light morning, but the contrast, detail and sharpness of the setup for viewing subject at ~150 meters at ~53x was impressive. 

#27 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:20 AM

Which scope model and prism diagonal (baader t2 or 2” prism) are you considering? For most scopes night time use is going to require a glasspath, barlow, etc. The only reason the quark can reach focus is because it already has an internal 4.2x Barlow.

Thanks, I plan to use Baader t2 prism. I still have some hesitations between "classical" ans zeiss model. The first one seems to be the best choice when reading forums.
Due to light path it seems I can use it with bino and without GPC on my refractor. I continue to read users experiences and will decide later.

#28 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2023 - 01:08 AM

I will receive my MBII in a few days. What is the max mag i can reach for ? In monocular I'm between 1,5-2D but I think it's less with a bino.

#29 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 December 2023 - 10:49 AM

I will receive my MBII in a few days. What is the max mag i can reach for ? In monocular I'm between 1,5-2D but I think it's less with a bino.

Max magnification shouldn’t be different in bino than mono, though if anything you might find higher powers not as needed, as two eyes can sometimes pick up on details at lower powers. Solar magnification is often very limited by the typically worse daytime seeing conditions. In my quark the lowest powers (32mm) typically give the best views (independent of scope), though I can sometimes get away with higher power, but it’s relatively rare. Remember the quark has built in 4.2x amplification, so even with a 32mm eyepiece you’re already looking at relatively high powers.

#30 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2023 - 01:12 PM

That's right, i plan to use 32mm and GPC first. I can go down to 12mm with x2.6.

#31 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 December 2023 - 01:22 PM

That's right, i plan to use 32mm and GPC first. I can go down to 12mm with x2.6.

You will not need the GPC with the quark, as its internal barlow compensates for the extra light path of binoviewer already. I suppose no harm in using the 1.25x or 1.5x GPC for extra magnification though, but again typically with the quark the struggle is too keep powers low due to poor daytime seeing. I suspect the 2.6x would be too much power. Remember the quark already has the internal 4.2x Barlow, so a 32mm eyepiece with the 2.6x glasspath would be a 2.9mm eyepiece.

Edited by betacygni, 18 December 2023 - 01:30 PM.

• Doug Culbertson, RAKing and ABQJeff like this

#32 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2023 - 02:16 PM

Oh sorry, I extended the project : solar in first time but I want to use bino for astro too.
And here is the problem, which eyepieces to complete the 32 Plossls ?
  • betacygni likes this

#33 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 December 2023 - 06:28 PM

Oh sorry, I extended the project : solar in first time but I want to use bino for astro too.
And here is the problem, which eyepieces to complete the 32 Plossls ?

For double duty solar/astro i’d stick with Plossls and their close variants (plossls perform much better for solar, and just as good for night, particularly planetary). For example the new Takahashi TPL, or Masuyama 53 degree line, if budget allows. Which focal lengths would depend on your scopes and which GPCs you intend to use. In my case I find pairs of 32mm,, 20-24mm, and down to about 16mm to be an ideal range. This might differ depending on your scopes and GPCs. I made a chart so I could see all the exit pupils/magnifications for different eyepieces with different GPCs , this made the selection easier.

Edited by betacygni, 18 December 2023 - 06:31 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#34 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2023 - 02:58 AM

I have a 4" refractor, so i think i can use bino for planetary and very bright dso. I will try with gpc 1.7 and 2.6 and add later a 16mm, I think it would be a nice set but i don't have other choice that to try.

#35 RAKing

RAKing

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 20 December 2023 - 11:28 AM

I have a 4" refractor, so i think i can use bino for planetary and very bright dso. I will try with gpc 1.7 and 2.6 and add later a 16mm, I think it would be a nice set but i don't have other choice that to try.

My 4-inch refractor works great with the binoviewers and I think you will enjoy yours, too. 

I use a 1.25x GPC with my Baader BV and my eyepieces range from 24mm Panoptics down to 5mm (T6 Naglers).  The effective focal lengths are from 19.2mm down to 4mm, and the FOV with the 24 Pans is 1.45 degrees.  If conditions are really good, I can use a pair of 4mm Tak TOE (3.2mm effective) and split very tight doubles at 231x. The exit pupil is down to 0.43mm, so I don't get to use these very often. 

Cheers,

Ron

#36 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2023 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for your post Ron, it's helpfull.
I will start at 32mm, probably with gpc 1.25x too. I receive my MBii at the end of the week, I will try combinaisons for focus.
More posts are incoming 😅 with more problems !

#37 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 23 December 2023 - 02:25 PM

Si i received my bino, i'm going to try to use my mirror diagonal by reducing path (i plan to change my M72 clicklock by a M68 short clamp and use a gpc, i hope it'll works).

#38 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2024 - 01:24 AM

Hi,

I have another question with my bino and the Baader diagonal : I put my bino on right side to avoid to unscrew diagonal's nose but I wonder if a solution exists to secure this one ?

#39 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 05 February 2024 - 09:35 AM

Hi,

I have another question with my bino and the Baader diagonal : I put my bino on right side to avoid to unscrew diagonal's nose but I wonder if a solution exists to secure this one ?

It is an inherent problem with threaded nosepieces that they can unthread when under weight.  That is why Tele Vue and Astro-Physics make diagonals machined out of a single piece of aluminum.  I have several Baader diagonals and they are excellent, but you need to be careful because of this feature.  More than once mine have slipped, and it is very alarming to see it happen, and suddenly your binoviewer and eyepieces are hanging upside down!

Baader does make a locking ring to try to alleviate this problem.  These help, but either way you need to just get it tight and keep an eye on it.

#40 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:14 PM

Yes it's really impressive when it arrives.
Please which is the reference for the locking ring ? I suppose it can't avoid the problem but i'm curious to see the solution.

#41 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:59 PM

I think Astro-physics also has their diagonals threaded, I believe TV is the only one with a solid block.

I torque down my Baader nosepiece pretty good (do at your own risk of course…) and haven’t had loosening issues lately. If you use an alt/az mount then an ever so slight right lean also solves the issue (so gravity wants to tighten it).

In theory some locktite on threads should also work. Never tried that solution though.

Edited by betacygni, 05 February 2024 - 04:00 PM.

• Eddgie likes this

#42 EboO

EboO

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 06 February 2024 - 01:08 AM

I have an alt az mount so bino is slightly turn on right, yes, but i always fear a problem.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics