•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hyperbolic prime focus astrograph with an RC primary

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dan_I

Dan_I

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 30 November 2023 - 06:01 AM

Hi,

Ritchey-Chretien optical sets from GSO seem to be of reasonable quality and not too expensive. For instance, APM sells currently a 16" f/8 optical set for €2,990.

I am wondering whether the hyperbolic primary (which is f/3 I believe) could be used also at primary focus or Newtonian focus with a Ross-type corrector, preferably made with off-the-shelf lens? I don't know if the conic constant imposed by the RC formula works also in such configuration. For the 16" version it seems that k=-1.1 (using that primary to secondary distance is 900mm), while for the 8" version k=-1.2 was found there.

It would be a way to get a larger version of the Tak Epsilon astrographs at a reasonable price...

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by Dan_I, 30 November 2023 - 06:46 AM.

#2 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 30 November 2023 - 09:39 AM

What you're describing is a Rosin configuration.  Check out all the Rosin designs in "Post your optical design" thread.  RC primary conics are a little weaker than optimal for Rosins, but they can still be corrected.  However, the corrector lenses won't  be cheap unless you make them yourself.

• PrestonE and MKV like this

#3 Dan_I

Dan_I

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:17 PM

What you're describing is a Rosin configuration.  Check out all the Rosin designs in "Post your optical design" thread.  RC primary conics are a little weaker than optimal for Rosins, but they can still be corrected.  However, the corrector lenses won't  be cheap unless you make them yourself.

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look. It the corrector lenses needs to be custom made it becomes a different story...

clear skies,

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics