•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astroberry & Android

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AstroPC

AstroPC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:07 AM

I apologise if this is not the right place for such a question but here goes...  I have an old Android TV box I want to repurpose rather than add to landfill.  I know it is possible to change the operating system to Linux so would that mean I can install Astroberry on it???  Is there a work around that enables Astroberry to run on an Android device???

#2 gpaunescu

gpaunescu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Popesti-Leordeni, Ilfov, Romania

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:25 AM

As I know no, isn't possible.

Astroberry is actually a Linux distribution, debian based, that has already installed KStars/Ekos and few others astronomy apps.

Astroberry is compatible only with Rasberry PI , as I know.

#3 NearVision

NearVision

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 30 November 2023 - 08:46 AM

It would depend on the processor, RAM, and storage in the Android box. You will need to know what is inside the box.

Astroberry itself is only compiled for the Raspberry Pi as the previous post says. However, if the Android box is built on a rPi 3B or 4 then it might work. Another complication to this is that Astroberry seems to be abandoned. It hasn't had any updates for a few years now and some of the packages are a few generations behind.

Now for the better news; there are instructions on the web that will show you how to load all of the software packages in Astroberry on a basic Debian/Ubuntu type OS install. Last year I did a search and found some that I was able to follow to get a small Intel based system looking like Astroberry. The instructions I found were slightly out of date on some of the packages and I needed to do a fair amount of research to get them working, but it is possible. I won't tell you it's easy and simple, it takes a good amount of research and learning how Linux packages work and don't work. This of course is all dependent on if the android box is compatible with the Linux version you choose and all of the packages used in Astroberry can be compiled or have a version already available for that processor.

Good Luck!

#4 gpaunescu

gpaunescu

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Popesti-Leordeni, Ilfov, Romania

Posted 30 November 2023 - 10:16 AM

The way how is build a linux distribution is totally different than the way how it is  build an Android. Yes,  most of the phones are having ARM cpu, same as RPi (different model, but is ARM).

But on the phones the OS is flashed to a EPROM, mean while on Raspberry Pi is installed on external support (as SD card).

I think, but depend on the phone model, is possible to find a linux distribution and install on it. In theory, next is possible to install KStars (maybe need to compile for that phone).

But even you do this, still I not see the  way to you will connect the equipment to the phone (newer phone accept to connect a USB disk, but older no)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics