•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for advice on my proposed deep sky Kit list

Astrophotography Beginner Refractor Mount Optics
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 OneSky

OneSky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 December 2023 - 03:33 AM

Regarding the ongoing debate about the pluses and minuses of the ZWO ecosystem, it seems like there's a parallel here with the world of personal computing. There's a long-running debate between those in the Apple/Mac ecosystem and the those in the Windows/PC ecosystem. For many years (decades?), the Mac was a closed ecosystem. This had the advantage of ensuring everything "just worked" but also tended to make their products more expensive. PCs on the other hand, were usually cheaper and offered more options, but required more understanding of protocols, etc.

It seems like ZWO is following in the Apple model; their ASIAirPlus/Mini and ASIAir App "just works"; even absolute astro-imaging beginners can immediately reap the benefits of plate solving integrated into polar aligning, auto-guiding, planetarium/Go-To, and imaging runs. All they have to do is stay within the ZWO ecosystem (of course, there is support for Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and quite a variety of EQ mounts). But yes, getting a ZWO-based astro-imaging system working is virtually trouble-free.

Just as in the PC world, astrophotography options seem to multiply in the non-ZWO world. I agree with the essence of Zambiadarkskies post above; it comes down to whether or not all those choices are important to you--and admittedly, PC software like N.I.N.A. has many fans--or if you just want a system that's easy to put together and yields pleasing results. The choice is yours.

• fyferoni likes this

#27 Sheridan

Sheridan

Vanguard

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:44 AM

For guiding i use the SVBony sv165 30mm.

https://www.amazon.c...ref_=ast_sto_dp

For the guide camera

https://player-one-a...-camera-imx224/

It's better It's a better built quality than my astromania guide cams.  Some people would say use mono but I use these things for dual purpose. I also use the SVbony UV/IR cut filters. Probably not the best but I'm on a budget.

This is not necessary but I love these things because they dual purpose for a guide cam mount and a handle for carrying.

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title

They should work well with the AT70ED.

I would also skip the ASIair and go straight for a Mini PC with NINA.

Edited by Sheridan, 05 December 2023 - 07:17 AM.

• fyferoni likes this

#28 fyferoni

fyferoni

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Montana

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:31 AM

For guiding i use the SVBony sv165 30mm.

https://www.amazon.c...ref_=ast_sto_dp

For the guide camera

https://player-one-a...-camera-imx224/

It's better It's a better built quality than my astromania guide cams.  Some people would say use mono but I use these things for dual purpose. I also use the SVbony UV/IR cut filters. Probably not the best but I'm on a budget.

This is not necessary but I love these things because they dual purpose for a guide cam mount and a handle for carrying.

https://www.amazon.c...ob_b_asin_title

They should work well with the AT70ED.

I would also skip the ASIair and go straight for a Mini PC with NINA.

Sweet! Good to know! I was definitely gonna see about a top ring bracket like that guy. I'm already imagining terrible futures where cold fingers and darkness creates disastrous outcomes.

Regarding the ongoing debate about the pluses and minuses of the ZWO ecosystem, it seems like there's a parallel here with the world of personal computing. There's a long-running debate between those in the Apple/Mac ecosystem and the those in the Windows/PC ecosystem. For many years (decades?), the Mac was a closed ecosystem. This had the advantage of ensuring everything "just worked" but also tended to make their products more expensive. PCs on the other hand, were usually cheaper and offered more options, but required more understanding of protocols, etc.

It seems like ZWO is following in the Apple model; their ASIAirPlus/Mini and ASIAir App "just works"; even absolute astro-imaging beginners can immediately reap the benefits of plate solving integrated into polar aligning, auto-guiding, planetarium/Go-To, and imaging runs. All they have to do is stay within the ZWO ecosystem (of course, there is support for Canon and Nikon DSLRs, and quite a variety of EQ mounts). But yes, getting a ZWO-based astro-imaging system working is virtually trouble-free.

Just as in the PC world, astrophotography options seem to multiply in the non-ZWO world. I agree with the essence of Zambiadarkskies post above; it comes down to whether or not all those choices are important to you--and admittedly, PC software like N.I.N.A. has many fans--or if you just want a system that's easy to put together and yields pleasing results. The choice is yours.

Honestly this statement kinda sums up my thoughts as I've been reading the debate across a couple different places on here. I'm a novice in the AP world, but the same convo pops up with Apple/PC, Canon/Nikon/Sony, etc. I think it comes down to pros and cons for the system you want to 'buy' into. One has flexibility and customization, whereas another has a more robust ecosystem. I think I'm leaning towards going the Air route, as it's a decent price, it solves a lot of problems I may not know I'd have starting out, and works 'untethered' as my imaging location will be a bit too far away from my house to run something like USB across my lawn (I could do ethernet, but introducing another connection point of failure brings in its' own host of issues). 

That's just my initial conclusions though, and I definitely see the benefits on the other side of the debate (I build PCs as a hobby, so i'm no stranger, and even relish a good troubleshooting session. And I love the customization from building your own setup).

#29 vidrazor

vidrazor

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:55 AM

For many years (decades?), the Mac was a closed ecosystem. This had the advantage of ensuring everything "just worked"...

Having worked with Macs professionally since 1989, day in and day out, 8 hours or more a day, I've always enjoyed the entertainment value of their "just works" ad campaign. Apple could do one thing that "just works", and that's brilliant marketing. ;)

• fyferoni likes this

#30 JF1960

JF1960

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 05 December 2023 - 04:10 PM

I used to love to customize and build out systems from scratch.  But after doing that for decades, it’s sort of lost the appeal and feels more like a head-ache than a benefit these days.  So, this old guy joined the “it just works” camp.

• Tkall and OneSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Refractor, Mount, Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics