•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Removing Mounting Rail/Apparatus from Mewlon 210.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Manoj

Manoj

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 01 December 2023 - 06:58 PM

I have a Mewlon 210 en route to me and I plan on using a rotating ring system to mount it on my AZ100 mount.  To do this I will have to remove the mounting apparatus from the bottom of the Mewlon 210.  Is it a simple process to remove it? Anything I should know in advance or that I should be aware of?

Thanks

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Hubble

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:04 PM

Yes, it's really easy to do.

Loosen the three screws that hold the back onto the tube and take out the entire back+mirror. Put a little sticker somewhere on the back and on the tube so that you get them back together in the same position.

Then you have access to the screws from the inside.

#3 Manoj

Manoj

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:09 PM

Thank you. Can I do this by reaching the screws through the open front end of the Mewlon?

#4 Mark9473

Mark9473

Hubble

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:16 PM

Would you really risk dropping something on the mirror, even if you could get in that way?

I think anyway the spider vanes and the limited room between them will quickly convince you otherwise, just as soon as your scope arrives.

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Cosmos

Posted 02 December 2023 - 08:45 AM

I'm curious: why are you planning to use rotating rings with a Cassegrain mounted on an alt-az mount?

• tturtle likes this

#6 Manoj

Manoj

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 09:42 AM

Hi,
Mainly because I am not sure I will like the finderscope position as it will be at the 9:0clock on my side mounted AZ mount (AZ100). And also so I can mount additional accessories on the tings if need be.
I am not 100% sure I’m going to do this yet, the scope arrives this week so I will figure out what is best when I have it in hand.

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Cosmos

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:42 PM

Hi,
Mainly because I am not sure I will like the finderscope position as it will be at the 9:0clock on my side mounted AZ mount (AZ100). And also so I can mount additional accessories on the tings if need be.
I am not 100% sure I’m going to do this yet, the scope arrives this week so I will figure out what is best when I have it in hand.

If you decide you hate the finder at the 9:00 position, you could use regular OTA rings; much less expensive than rotating rings.  You can install the rings, mount your scope with the rings a bit loose, rotate your scope to your favorite position then tighten the rings.

Of course, that may be what you meant by rotating rings.

#8 Manoj

Manoj

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:45 PM

Yes I got my terminology mixed up.

If you decide you hate the finder at the 9:00 position, you could use regular OTA rings; much less expensive than rotating rings.  You can install the rings, mount your scope with the rings a bit loose, rotate your scope to your favorite position then tighten the rings.

Of course, that may be what you meant by rotating rings.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics