•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Flaming Star(s)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stardustborn

stardustborn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: LI, New York

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:40 PM

ic405 30MIN

This was about an hour with the C9.25 with 6.3 reducer and the 533MC OSC cam.  No filters.  

This is only my second nebula after M42 and I'm not really a neb guy but I was pleasantly surprised how this showed.  The colors surprised me.  

Considering how little time and processing was done on this.  I thought it was cool how it looks like the two stars are on fire.  I need more time and process on this.  Like virtually all my astro photos.  Would make a good wall pic if I ever reach that point of satisfaction LOL.

• 17.5Dob, CharLakeAstro, vidrazor and 6 others like this

#2 vidrazor

vidrazor

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:37 PM

How did you process it? You might want to try separating the stars and processing the nebula and stars separately so you don't get so much star bloat and blown cores. I know you like the "fire" effect, but all your stars are "on fire". :)

• stardustborn likes this

#3 david_od

david_od

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chile

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:00 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but which object is this?

Also, are you using a 9.25 sct on a CEM25P??

#4 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:12 AM

It's always very refreshing to see this target shot in broadband instead of NB. The beautiful blue reflection nebula gets totally erased shooting NB.

#5 italic

italic

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 December 2023 - 07:03 AM

IC 405 - Flaming Star Nebula

#6 stardustborn

stardustborn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:07 AM

How did you process it? You might want to try separating the stars and processing the nebula and stars separately so you don't get so much star bloat and blown cores. I know you like the "fire" effect, but all your stars are "on fire". smile.gif

I just used Astro Pixel Processor.  Not sure if I did the star reduction in APP.  I haven't gotten into using star masks and such and haven't graduated to PI yet.  I've been a galaxy guy and this night couldn't find any in my small piece of sky so I shot this.    

I didn't use a IR/UV cut filter here.  Didn't have one at the time.  Now I do, so it will interesting to go back to this and see the difference.  I suspect that's a big reason for the star bloat.  Exposures were at 30sec.  Way too much noise also.  

The seeing on this night wasn't the best either.  Plus, I just figured out that the back focus of my scope has been about 30% too far back.  Glad for the recent back focus threads here.  Made me look at it again. 

Thanks for the critique and suggestions.  

Edited by stardustborn, 02 December 2023 - 11:21 AM.

#7 stardustborn

stardustborn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:18 AM

Yes as Jeffrey said IC405.  I guess I should have said that.  It's just such a long focal narrow field view that it looks strange compared to the wider field views we usually see of this.

Yeah still using my long suffering and sort-of-working cem25.   https://www.ioptron....uct-p/7100e.htm

I'm doing the exact opposite of what one should do.  Large mount small load.   Luckily I am a mechanic.  It's actually sort of fun working on it.   Total RMS runs between 0.6 and 1.3 usually.  Good nights below 1.  

#8 vidrazor

vidrazor

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:59 PM

I just used Astro Pixel Processor.  Not sure if I did the star reduction in APP.  I haven't gotten into using star masks and such and haven't graduated to PI yet.  I've been a galaxy guy and this night couldn't find any in my small piece of sky so I shot this.    

I didn't use a IR/UV cut filter here.  Didn't have one at the time.  Now I do, so it will interesting to go back to this and see the difference.  I suspect that's a big reason for the star bloat.  Exposures were at 30sec.  Way too much noise also.  

The seeing on this night wasn't the best either.  Plus, I just figured out that the back focus of my scope has been about 30% too far back.  Glad for the recent back focus threads here.  Made me look at it again. .  

If APP doesn't have star separation tools, you can perform star separation Siril and finish it in APP. You could also try stacking an Siril using one of it's automated scripts, as Siril is far faster at stacking than DSS, APP, PI, and pretty much anything else. However if you already have a stack you're satisfied with, you can just bring it into Siril to perform the star separation.

You'll first need to set Siril up for star separation, by integrating Starnet into it, and then let Siril make the two separate FITS files for stars and target that you can finish off separately in APP to optimize each of them. Of course, you can do the whole process in Siril, but if you're more familiar with APP it will be easier for you to process your data from the two FITS files there. You can either recombine them in APP if it has recombination tools, or just bring the two APP processed FITS files back into Siril to recombine, or save the APP processed data as TIF files and recombine them in Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or GIMP.

Edited by vidrazor, 02 December 2023 - 03:06 PM.

#9 stardustborn

stardustborn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:00 PM

If APP doesn't have star separation tools, you can perform star separation Siril and finish it in APP. You could also try stacking an Siril using one of it's automated scripts, as Siril is far faster at stacking than DSS, APP, PI, and pretty much anything else. However if you already have a stack you're satisfied with, you can just bring it into Siril to perform the star separation.

You'll first need to set Siril up for star separation, by integrating Starnet into it, and then let Siril make the two separate FITS files for stars and target that you can finish off separately in APP to optimize each of them. Of course, you can do the whole process in Siril, but if you're more familiar with APP it will be easier for you to process your data from the two FITS files there. You can either recombine them in APP if it has recombination tools, or just bring the two APP processed FITS files back into Siril to recombine, or save the APP processed data as TIF files and recombine them in Photoshop, Affinity Photo, or GIMP.

Thanks for those ideas.  It's not the cost of PI it's just that I haven't gotten some basics down yet.  Once the dust settles and I start getting some good long data I'll jump to PI.  If only for the BlurX.   If the shooting is decent APP does a good of star reduction.  

But I can't even get basics like back focus under control.  Maybe now I have.  :)

Edited by stardustborn, 02 December 2023 - 04:01 PM.

#10 stardustborn

stardustborn

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:06 PM

Hey, in defense of IR bloated stars don't we see more faint distant stars also? 

Not that I'm being defensive or anything.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics