•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RCOS 12.5" Carbon Truss questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2023 - 12:24 PM

I am looking at acquiring an older RCOS 12.5" carbon truss telescope. I have digging through the internet looking into some of the smaller details about these scopes. I am familiar with them but there is some basic stuff I cannot find so I am hoping some RCOS owners can help me out. 

1) Does anyone have the exact weight of the 12.5" carbon truss model? I have found the carbon tube version is about 65 pounds. I am just trying to get a better idea of mounting. 

2) This one is coming with the 70mm flattener. Does anyone have the back focus for this optic? 

3) This sample has a (currently working) TCC and rotator. I intended to remove the rotator and add a rear focuser, maybe a rotator like a Gemini or something else. How did you adapt your upgraded hardware to the RCOS rear plate? 

#2 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Surveyor 1

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 03 December 2023 - 02:56 PM

I'm not familiar with the Gemini rotator but the RCOS rotator is really nice, precise and easy to use.

Before replacing it, you might want to give the RCOS rotator a cruise around the block.

The dedicated RCOS group is a storehouse of knowledge.

dan k.

#3 syxbach

syxbach

Viking 1

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:03 AM

I recently got a 12.5 truss RCOS and after 1 month, I get it to work, fully functional. You can PM for details. I actually want to write a thread to share my experience here from shipping to my final star test. However, it can be very long and I may draft it in the winter holiday

I got a ton of support from RCOS group. It is a private group and you need to apply for it. 

https://groups.io/g/RCOSgroup/

1) Does anyone have the exact weight of the 12.5" carbon truss model? I have found the carbon tube version is about 65 pounds. I am just trying to get a better idea of mounting.

~50-55 lb. I test it on my AP mach1 and that barely can do the job. I will use it on my AP1100 in my remote site

2) This one is coming with the 70mm flattener. Does anyone have the back focus for this optic?

Usually the back focus from the back plate is ~8.9 inch. Each scope is a  little different. You should get a copy of that document when you buy a used scope.

70 mm field corrector is important for imaging. Not all scopes come with it. You should ask for this from the seller. Or ask Rich Simon from Deep Sky Instrument

3) This sample has a (currently working) TCC and rotator. I intended to remove the rotator and add a rear focuser, maybe a rotator like a Gemini or something else. How did you adapt your upgraded hardware to the RCOS rear plate?

TCC and secondary motor are one of the important things to consider. Almost all TTC and the secondary motor may fail for most of the users. Contact Jeff from Optec. He has a special version of Gemini to accommodate the 70 mm flattener. 

TCC can control the RCOS PIR, secondary motor, fan, heating. I think it is still very important. Make sure it is functional before purchase. Or upgrade to TIM, which is more expensive.

Basically, people test the scope using TCC/TIM to control the secondary motor to reach the focus (get the correct primary and secondary spacing). Then they add a third party focuser behind the PIR to do focus later. Esatto 3.5 LP focuser is one of them. This is my procedure.

Yuexiao

I am looking at acquiring an older RCOS 12.5" carbon truss telescope. I have digging through the internet looking into some of the smaller details about these scopes. I am familiar with them but there is some basic stuff I cannot find so I am hoping some RCOS owners can help me out. 

Edited by syxbach, 04 December 2023 - 10:04 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics