•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 6" ACF SCT-Anyone Own One, What are Your Thoughts on Getting one for a Grab and Go

Catadioptric Meade SCT Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flyboyu777

flyboyu777

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ranburne Alabama

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:16 PM

Hey guys and gals, I'm thinking about a grab and go SCT not just for me, but for a teenager, and I thought maybe the Meade 6" SCT ACF might be worthwhile.  I've also looked at the Celestron C-6.  I'd welcome your thoughts and experience with both of them here.

Don't be shy-but only comment if you've owned one or both please. . . . . . .

Jim

#2 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2023 - 06:26 PM

The Meade should have a flatter field - for a US$400 premium. They both have great portability and comparable performance. Celestrons have been known to have blackening/baffling issues indicated by circular glare ~ 50% out from center on bright small targets (Jupiter, bright stars). The one I have exhibits this artifact. Don't know about the Meades.

#3 pcrichmond

pcrichmond

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bishop CA

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:59 PM

I've been happy with the Celestron C6A as a grab and go on both an SB Alt/Az mount and the older Polaris EQ mount.

Haven't noticed circular glare mentioned in the post above but the baffle tube is indeed a bit smaller.

Also own an older Meade 8"emc sct. Feels like a much higher quality build from the Meade and enough heavier that at my age I don't use it much for grab and go anymore.

Someone much younger would probably be comfortable with either brand in a 6".

Really enjoy using the C6 with binoviewers on globulars. Nice balance of magnification and wider field for me.

#4 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:11 PM

I've been happy with the Celestron C6A as a grab and go on both an SB Alt/Az mount and the older Polaris EQ mount.
Haven't noticed circular glare mentioned in the post above but the baffle tube is indeed a bit smaller.
Also own an older Meade 8"emc sct. Feels like a much higher quality build from the Meade and enough heavier that at my age I don't use it much for grab and go anymore.
Someone much younger would probably be comfortable with either brand in a 6".
Really enjoy using the C6 with binoviewers on globulars. Nice balance of magnification and wider field for me.

Don't know if they corrected this in recent production but several users reported this a few years ago.

#5 Rigel_10

Rigel_10

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:18 PM

I owned the 6" ACF...nice scope although keep in mind it has a 44% central obstruction size but stars will be corrected all the way to the edge of the FOV.

As far as glowing around bright objects in the C6...I like to use flocking material inside the draw tube and that seems to keep away the glows around planets.

I have a 8" right now but a 6" is definitely good grab and go scope 👍

#6 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:30 PM

I’ve owned both scopes and would recommend the C6.  The 6” Meade had soft optics even after collimating and showed signs of pinched optics and astigmatism.  Plus the CO is quite a bit larger than the C6.  The optics on my C6 are noticeably sharper than the Meade plus it weighs a few pounds less.  The last few Meade’s I have owned have had subpar optics.

Bill

#7 Auburn80

Auburn80

Apollo

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:50 PM

This is what I was referring to:
https://www.cloudyni...lestron-c6-sct/

#8 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:00 PM

I have a 6" f/10 ACF and it's a fine scope that gives an excellent image across a very well corrected field. For it's size is a bit heavy, so for grab'n go I'd consider the C6 if you get a good example.

#9 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:02 PM

I have the C6, and if you're budget conscious it's the better buy.  It also has the advantage that if you did want to get into imaging at F/2 a Hyperstar is available for about $500 turning it into a great widefield imaging system. 

The Meade ACF 6" is a very fine performer; a better pinpoint star representation at wider AFOV eyepieces. Except for a few individual OTAs having had multiple issues reported on CN(bad QA shift not catching them), it is a worthy contender if performance is more imperative.  The secondary housing is larger on the Meade, however the Meade also uses a larger mirror on all it's SCTs to have better off-axis performance than the Celestrons so the CO isn't as relative in side by side comparison.   

Weight differences are actually less than 2lbs outfitted with similar accessories similar model ~10(C6-A) and 11.5(ACF 6).  And both Meade and Celestron have a few different OTAs so the actual weight can vary within the comparative ranges it seems.  A bare C6 without dovetail or finder falls around 8.5lb  The LS-6 Meade was probably close to the C6, with the LX65 at about 10.6 and the LX85 at 11.5 due to their different dovetails and finders.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Catadioptric, Meade, SCT, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics