•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarium + Eqmod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrezzonico

mrezzonico

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:37 PM

Hello everyone,

I use Stellarium to control my NEQ6.

Here is the configuration of my notebook:

Windows 7
EQASCOM_V200q_Setup
ASCOM Platform 6.6 SP2

Stellarium 23.3

And here is my problem with the "Stellarium sync":

If the telescope (the telescope icon you see on Stellarium) and the star I select for "sync" are close, then the command works.

If the star is more than 10 degrees away, I receive the error: "Dati Sync troppo grandi" in english should be: "Sync Data to big."

I also encounter the same error when using "EQMOD Ascom Simulator".

Is it possible to avoid this error ?

Regards,
Michelangelo

Edited by mrezzonico, 08 December 2023 - 12:46 PM.

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Viking 1

Posted 08 December 2023 - 01:09 PM

I think it's because you are syncing and not aligning.  Read up a little about how to align your mount using EQMOD and Stellarium together to get things working for you. There isn't enough memory reserved in Stellarium to be to perform the Sync function for that much area.  I believe that is the error is telling you

#3 mrezzonico

mrezzonico

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2023 - 03:10 AM

Hello terrypaula,

thanks for the response.
As you say, it's probably a memory issue.
However, I'll add some information to see if I can solve the problem.

I have another notebook that I've been using for over 10 years, and it has "EQMOD EQASCOM V1.17c" installed.

Normally, I align with only one star and proceed like this.
- Without using the motors, I point the telescope near a star I know

- Using the motors I center the star in my Canon 450D
- At this point I start Stellarium; the telescope icon and the chosen star are usually far apart, and I do a "sync"
Everything works correctly.

On this notebook, I tried installing version V1.23p, and here too, I get the "Sync Data too big" error.
Of course, if the telescope is parked in the home position and I point the star with the motors, then in Stellarium, the telescope icon and the pointed star are close, and thus the error doesn't appear.

If possible, I would like to continue aligning with one star without having to park the telescope in a specific position, but it seems that starting from version V1.23p, this is no longer possible.

Thank for any help

Michelangelo

Edited by mrezzonico, 09 December 2023 - 03:39 AM.

#4 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Aurora

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:27 AM

This could be a "protect the operator from a foolish error" safety precaution in Stellarium. Syncing to a star that's 10 degrees away from where the mount is pointing could likely be that you're syncing on the wrong star. There is, however, a simple way to test this.

Install Sky Chart (aka CdC) and try the same sync operation from it. If it works then you will know that you hit a Stellarium "protect me from myself" limit.

#5 mrezzonico

mrezzonico

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2023 - 12:01 PM

Hello Phil,

thank you for your response.
I searched on Google: "sync data too big" "eqmod"
This error is related to EQMOD and also appears in CdC.

Regards
Michelangelo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics