•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Generic Handset substitute for app driven mounts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FXFinVT

FXFinVT

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Quechee VT

Posted 09 December 2023 - 05:18 PM

Last night I was doing an outreach session up in Vermont with a deforked ETX 125 on a iEXOS PMC-Eight mount, and an iOptron 150 MAK on an AVX Advanced. The AVX, with its handset, performed flawlessly, and was rock solid on Saturn until it set behind the tree line. The smaller amount was doing a great job on Jupiter until one of the little kids grab the bino viewers a little aggressively and we lost the view. After getting it roughly in position, using the Telrad, I went to make final adjustments on the phone app, but guess what it was too cold, and my finger presses were not as effective as they had been when I first got things going.

Is there any such thing as a generic handset? A lot of the new mounts are designed to be driven by apps only, and cold wreaks havoc on screen sensitivity.

Edited by FXFinVT, 09 December 2023 - 05:19 PM.

#2 AstroBruce

AstroBruce

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:19 PM

I'm not sure I'm following you. Don't both mounts have their own handset?

Bruce

#3 FXFinVT

FXFinVT

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Quechee VT

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:40 AM

No, the little mount doesn’t come with nor is a handset offered as an option. Astronomics recently had these available at $300 off the $599 MSRP and they are a great value for a grab and go system. The open architecture of the mount control means they are easily controlled by most ASCOM capable guiding software including Explore Scientific’s own app, ExploreStars. I was able to try it with Luminos Pro and NINA. 

https://explorescien...901907a43&_ss=r

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics