•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense Autoalign Fails to Calibrate or Align

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frank2

Frank2

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: SC

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:23 PM

Has anyone had this issue. My Starsense Autoalign on CPC1100 with Celestron wifi dongle and SkySafari 7 Pro was working great until... My go to's would put objects at the edge of a 26mm eyepiece so I decided to do a calibrate. The scope said I had to do a re-align, so I did. Now targets are consistently about 3 or 4 degrees below where the scope ends up pointing. When I try to re-calibrate or re-align the Starsense, I get an error message saying the operation failed. I put the handbox on the scope and re-set the camera, but that did not fix the problem. Researching the issue I see several people trying to find out how to reset the Starsense to think it is doing the setup for the first time, but no one seems to get an answer to that question. Any thoughts?

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Viking 1

Posted 09 December 2023 - 11:57 PM

Did you try reinstalling or updating the firmware?  I had to run a firmware upgrade/reinstall for mine to return to normal operation.  Just fishing:  Is the GPS location correct?

#3 Frank2

Frank2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 10 December 2023 - 12:34 AM

Did you try reinstalling or updating the firmware?  I had to run a firmware upgrade/reinstall for mine to return to normal operation.  Just fishing:  Is the GPS location correct?

The wifi dongle is loading time and location corectly. Recently I updated all the software via Celestron CFM and the setup was working properly with the latest software. Maybe something was corrupted since then. I can reload the camera software to see if that helps. You said you had to re-load software to get back to normal operation. How was your scope mis-behaving?

#4 dexx

dexx

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, Australia

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:37 AM

I stared having issues with my starsense autoalign straight after i updated the mount firmware (didnt touch the SSAA firmware).  Now SSAA keeps saying it cant see 100 stars.

#5 mlord

mlord

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada.

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:15 AM

how to reset the Starsense to think it is doing the setup for the first time, but no one seems to get an answer to that question. Any thoughts?

If one has a HomeBrew Gen3 (HBG3) or All-In-One (AIO), the debug interface can be used to issue these commands, resetting the Calibration point to centre for each of the three "mount slots":

ssaa_recentre 0
    ssaa_recentre 1

ssaa_recentre 2

Cheers

#6 mlord

mlord

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 December 2023 - 08:17 AM

I stared having issues with my starsense autoalign straight after i updated the mount firmware (didnt touch the SSAA firmware).  Now SSAA keeps saying it cant see 100 stars.

Mine does that too, but it's because the sky has been extremely overcast here for a few weeks now.  smile.gif

Latest firmware does work fine for it when there is actually a clear view though.

Note that there has been NO NEW FIRMWARE for the camera itself since 2014.

Edited by mlord, 10 December 2023 - 12:10 PM.

#7 Minuam

Minuam

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 52° N 4° E

Posted 10 December 2023 - 10:52 AM

in my opinion, Sky-Safari is proving the location/time data and not the GPS.

The wifi dongle is loading time and location corectly. Recently I updated all the software via Celestron CFM and the setup was working properly with the latest software. Maybe something was corrupted since then. I can reload the camera software to see if that helps. You said you had to re-load software to get back to normal operation. How was your scope mis-behaving?

Again in my opinion, It is Sky-Safari providing the time/location data and not the wifi dongle. The wifi dongle is providing the network to connect with Sky-Safari.

#8 mooresaw

mooresaw

Mariner 2

• *----

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:52 PM

Mine had the same problem I eventually sold it

#9 Frank2

Frank2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2023 - 10:50 PM

Update, problem solved. Not sure exactly why, but when I entered my location using the nearest city, about 40 miles away then performed an autoalign and calibration, the calibration was accepted and the setup is working again. Apparently, SkySafari through the wifi dongle does not download time and location from the internet as I thought, or something was preventing that from happening. Also, when I entered my exact location coordinates from Google, that did not work either. Lastly, my GPS is flakey right now and loads inaccurate position data for some reason (another future issue to resolve). Anyway, out of ideas and having nothing else to try led me to selecting a city from the hand controller list. So for any others with the same problem, give it a try.

Edited by Frank2, 16 December 2023 - 10:56 PM.

#10 mlord

mlord

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2023 - 10:55 PM

the wifi dongle does not download time and location from the internet as I thought ...  Lastly, my GPS is flakey right now and loads inaccurate position data for some reason (ahother future issue to resolve). Anyway, out of ideas and having nothing else to try led me to selecting a city from the hand controller list.

The "alignment controller" is the only thing that ever needs Time+Location information.  So if using an app over WiFi (or Bluetooth etc..), then that app is the "alignment controller", and will normally try and get TIme+Location from the internet, if it has an internet connection.

Otherwise, if the Celestron Hand-Controller is instead being used for the "alignment controller", then that is where Time/Location will need to be provided.  This can be done either by manual entry on the keypad -- incredibly error-prone -- or automatically from a mount-attached GPS receiver (eg. Celestron SkySync, or Homebrew/HBG3 etc..).  Dead accurate with no errors that way.

Except.. the Nexstar+ hand-controller (maybe others too..) has a bug.   From monitoring it's communications with the mount and accessories, I see that about one time in eight, it "finds" an attached GPS accessory, but then fails to actually read the Time/Location from it.. instead proceeding with who knows what for data.

Cheers

#11 Frank2

Frank2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 December 2023 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for that detailed explanation Mlord. I usually feel like a blind man looking for acorns, occasionally I get lucky and a problem gets solved. Remember the EF Hutton commercials? Well, when Mlord talks, I listen.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics