•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8 XLT vs EdgeHD 8 when using a 1 inch sensor?

Cassegrain Celestron Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 astroneer3141

astroneer3141

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:58 AM

Greetings!

For galaxy season next year, I am considering to buy a used C8 XLT but also open to buying a new or used Edge HD 8. The thing is, since I am imaging with a 533MC pro and with possible future plans to upgrade to either a micro 4/3 or APSC sensor, will the field curvature of the non-edge be a major impediment? The edge HD8 is going for around $1599 brand new, and considering that I need to get the reducer AND possibly a OAG plus guide camera, the cost quickly rises. if I buy the C8, I can possibly get all of that and stay under $1599 total.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Or should I (gasp!) get a refractor like the Astrotech 115EDT instead?

Thank you!

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:16 PM

I'd stick with the XLT unless you plan to go well beyond the APS-C sensor.  First, the cost for various focal reducers is far less for the XLT and they perform quite well.  The Edge is designed for flat field across the aperture window, however the actual focal plane portion that you image is only a percentage of this.  Additionally, if you have considered the Hyperstar, the Edge has no advantage as the flattener is not in play whatsoever.  

Without a reducer the image below is a comparison of a full frame vs APS-C, 4/3, 1" and 35mm Panoptic.   You'll note that most of the focal plane flat field advantage is OUTSIDE the APS-C sensor.   The field curvature of the standard XLT is noted to fall in this outer area thus you'll see little relative advantage.  And now that we have mosaic featuring in imaging control software the advantage of going with the larger sensors is disappearing other than the integration time necessary for the total size of the mosaic. 

astronomy_tools_fov (1).png

Ed Ting addressed this question last year, and it's worth viewing his video in my opinion. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=GZPAI14pzOs

• dcweaver likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cassegrain, Celestron, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics