•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SCT f6.3 focal reducer..... Do I need one?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 exup

exup

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:16 AM

Hi all,

I have a C5 f/10 SCT and a 130mm f/5 Newt, both on Alt-Az tracking mounts. I also have a C90.

I have a Omni x2 Barlow, Omni 32mm possel, a 23mm gold Aspheric, a 15mm 'wide angle' spotting scope eyepiece, a 15mm Omni, a 10mm Aspheric, together with a Baader MK4 zoom and it's x2.25 barlow. Plus a few other eyepieces that came with the scopes and Regal M2 zoom.

For visual only viewing, would I benefit from purchasing a f6.3 SCT focal reducer?

(Or does my Newt simply provide similar fast scope functionality)

I see the Angeleyes f6.3 focal reducer for about £50, which I assume is identical to the much more costly Celestron version.

https://www.aliexpre...318499331.html?

I am trying to avoid buying another redundant item that ends up sitting in a drawer gathering dust .... but would be keen to get your feedback.

Cheers,

exup

#2 Migwan

Migwan

Skylab

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 11 December 2023 - 06:45 AM

Need, no.  Want, maybe.  If you don't want to pull the Newt out for a wider field of view.   

I've been trying one on my C11 and so far, am mixed on it's value.   When I'm looking at M31 or star fields, I love it.   Not so much on the planets when the magnification of my favorite high power eyepieces are reduced. 

Here's another consideration. 

https://www.cloudyni...-focal-reducer/

Edited by Migwan, 11 December 2023 - 06:46 AM.

• exup likes this

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:10 AM

I'd say no.

You have a 1250mm scope (+ a Barlow for >2500mm) for smaller DSOs and planets ... and a 650mm scope for larger objects. That's a nice spread, and an 800mm scope (C5 with the reducer) wouldn't really buy you much. Now if you were  travelling with your C5 and didn't want to bring the Newt along then yes it would probably be a good addition.

In general I'd strongly resist the temptation to "accessorize" and instead spend your time now concentrating on getting the most out of what you have. IMHO experience is the most valuable accessory.

Edited by mclewis1, 11 December 2023 - 09:10 AM.

• Brent Campbell, Orion68, Spikey131 and 3 others like this

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 11 December 2023 - 10:11 AM

It would be more of an issue if your C5 was your only scope.  And 1250mm is not that long - a focal reducer would be more helpful in a C8, C11 or C14 with their very long FL.

But your 130mm f/5 Newt has wide field covered.

If you got a focal reducer, it would probably live in a drawer….

• exup likes this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 11 December 2023 - 10:19 AM

As you are seeing, unless there is something you don’t like about the Newt relative to the C5, not much point in a reducer.
  • exup likes this

#6 exup

exup

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:02 AM

Thanks all,

You have confirmed what I suspected - that I have already got most bases covered with the 2 scopes and range of eyepieces.

I now don't feel the need to scratch that itch waytogo.gif  grin.gif

#7 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 11 December 2023 - 11:23 AM

Thanks all,

You have confirmed what I suspected - that I have already got most bases covered with the 2 scopes and range of eyepieces.

I now don't feel the need to scratch that itch waytogo.gif  grin.gif

Now all you need is a 300mm Dob…..laugh.gif

• exup likes this

#8 exup

exup

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:12 PM

Now all you need is a 300mm Dob…..laugh.gif

Been using binoculars more than scopes for convenience... the thought of a 300mm Dob  wacko.png

Edited by exup, 11 December 2023 - 02:15 PM.

#9 vtornado

vtornado

Cosmos

• Loc: Kane County Illinois

Posted 11 December 2023 - 04:27 PM

Your newt will cover the same general focal length as the C5 with reducer.

The reducer would allow viewing planets and wider field stuff with only one scope.  If you wanted to view both in the same session.  Sometimes that happens to me.  I don't plan it but on a night when planets stink, I add the reducer and go for open clusters.

I found it slighly annoying to put the reducer on and take if off when swtiching between high and low power viewing.  I finger printed it once.

I don't think the views of lunar and planets are as sharp with reducer in.

50 GBP, seems quite cheap.  It may not be the same as the Celestron.  

I would be tempted to Sell the C5 and only use the 130 newt.  I would only do this by setting up the two side by side and critically viewing disperate targets.

The newt is wider, cheaper less prone to dew.

• exup likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics