•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saddle-mounted Guidescope on AM5/AM3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nhmorgan79

nhmorgan79

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2023 - 01:51 PM

Any reason that mounting a guide scope to a finder shoe on the side of the AM3 mount's dovetail saddle plate would be bad? For reference, I'm using a 500mm f4 lens with nowhere to mount a guide scope on the lens. I could mount it to the ASI2600mm, but that adds weight to the joint of the camera and lens. Seems that the side of the mount where the lens attaches is a practical and solid solution.

#2 maxsid

maxsid

Apollo

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:11 PM

I mount my guider there. Works well.

#3 maxsid

maxsid

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2024 - 12:46 AM

I take my words back...

After about two months of using the guider mounted on the mount saddle I found that the guiding was not as good as when mounted on the scope.

The guiding is much more erratic and the guiding error is about 1.5 times worse...

Not sure why.

I mount my guider there. Works well.

Edited by maxsid, 09 January 2024 - 12:47 AM.

#4 fewayne

fewayne

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 09 January 2024 - 04:01 PM

Were you using a single-ring finder-style mount both ways? Don't know why one would be good and the other not. I cobbled up a mount out of a pair of hose clamps and a few inches of aluminum channel and bolted that to my CEM70's saddle. Worked a treat. No sign at all of differential flexure.

Ugly as a frog wearing a boot for a hat, though.
  • descott12 likes this

#5 maxsid

maxsid

Apollo

Posted 10 January 2024 - 02:32 AM

Yeah... it's a single ring guider mount.

So, I moved the guider from the saddle to the shoe on the scope...

The guiding is better but not as good as it used to be.

Maybe my AM5 degraded somewhat? It was perfect for about 8 months since I bought it.

Maybe something is loose... I'll check.

#6 AngryBear

AngryBear

Viking 1

• Loc: Spokane, Washington

Posted 10 January 2024 - 06:23 AM

Yeah... it's a single ring guider mount.

So, I moved the guider from the saddle to the shoe on the scope...

The guiding is better but not as good as it used to be.

Maybe my AM5 degraded somewhat? It was perfect for about 8 months since I bought it.

Maybe something is loose... I'll check.

Belts and bolts have been a thing especially the Pitch Angle Gear Adjustment Screw (bolts). I haven’t seen issues with my belts but I think the ZWO factory had a bout of not having the belts properly tensioned at one point. They do have a pdf how to if you think you may have slipping belts. Definitely check the bolts though those should be on everyone’s radar now.

#7 maxsid

maxsid

Apollo

Posted 10 January 2024 - 03:15 PM

Found instructions about the belts.

Will try...

Thanks!

Belts and bolts have been a thing especially the Pitch Angle Gear Adjustment Screw (bolts). I haven’t seen issues with my belts but I think the ZWO factory had a bout of not having the belts properly tensioned at one point. They do have a pdf how to if you think you may have slipping belts. Definitely check the bolts though those should be on everyone’s radar now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics