•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wi-Fi Connection on HEM44?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 msheald

msheald

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 December 2023 - 02:12 PM

Hello! I can't seem to get the mount to detect a wi-fi connection to the computer. I've updated the firmware and use the Commander and ASCOM programs. Do I need to input my router password or do something else in order to active the wi-fi connection? Thanks.

Mike

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 December 2023 - 03:30 PM

A quick review of the HEM44 manual shows your PC needs to "join" the HEM44 network shown in BOLD below:

Then, Commander should then detect the HEM44 IP address.

5.4.10. Wi-Fi Option
This function will display WI-FI module functions. It is useful when connect the mount via wireless
connection.
Click on Wireless Status: displays will show:
 SSID: HBX8409_XXXXXX
 IP: 010.010.100.254
 Port: 08899
 MAC: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Click on Restart will restart the Wi-Fi adapt

In other words, the HEM44 is like a "hotspot" that generating its own unique WiFi network (no Internet).

Also, I seem to remember reading some time ago where the Hand Controller needs to be connected in order for WiFi to function??....hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Xeroid, 11 December 2023 - 04:02 PM.

#3 msheald

msheald

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2023 - 06:57 PM

Thank you! I hope to try this tomorrow.

Mike

#4 mjanzou

mjanzou

Viking 1

• Loc: So. Oregon

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:08 PM

If your trying to connect the mount to your home wifi in station mode? discussed here and should work equally with your HEM...

https://www.cloudyni...-local-network/

Here is an overview of the thread....

- connect to the wifi of your mount

- open a brower and connect to ip 10.10.100.254, login admin/admin

- the you see a full menu to manage the way your mount uses its wifi

- by default it come in AP mode, but there is an STA mode which is a client mode able to connect to other wifi

- you directly go to STA setting, click on scan, when u find your local wifi, select it, give its password, and the mount connect to it, so u lose the current connection

- reconnect your PC to your LAN, do a search for IP adresses on your LAN and u will find your CEM70 with its IP given by your DHCP

- then launch commander, select wifi, custom, put there the ip of the mount and go...

So that post answered a lot of questions,  but I thought I'd add some other things I noticed.

The initial wifi connection requires a default password of '12345678'
If you have an Android phone, you can also get to the configuration page at 10.10.100.254 by choosing "manage router" after clicking the gear icon next to the "Current network" name on your phone.
As bemo47 stated, use admin / admin for the username / password.
You can select "AP+STA mode" on the "Work Mode" screen, thereby enabling both modes, but the iOptron Commander Lite app can't find the mount unless you connect to the mount directly (AP).

SkySafari can connect to the mount either way, though you need to set the IP address differently for AP vs STA mode.
Sometimes after connecting via one mode (AP or STA), you have to use the HC to restart wifi to accept connections from either mode.
If you run into problems with the mount not responding, you can use the HC to restart wifi under the Settings menu.
When connected via STA mode, you can still get to the mount wifi config page by browsing to the IP address that your router assigned it.
The signal strength of the built-in wifi is pretty cr@ppy even with a decent antenna attached, but it works well enough for moving the mount around during setup.

#5 msheald

msheald

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2023 - 07:02 PM

Hmmm . . .  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I've restarted the Wi-Fi adapter on the handset.

In my Firefox browser on the computer that I want to use, I put in 10.10.100.254. Unfortunately, nothing is detected, and the session times out.

I tried restoring factory default and then restarting Wi-Fi adapter, and trying to connect as above. The same thing happens.

I've tried restarting WiFi on the handset and then in Commander, under Wi-Fi/ethernet, clicking on CEM70G/8409HC Built-in/Star Fi. No iOptron supported device is detected. Then, I try custom with IP 10.10.100.254 and Port 08899. Again, no iOptron supported device is detected.

I've tried restoring factory defaults and then trying the above with the same results.

The handset lists SSID of HBX8409_E272EA. IP of 10.10.100.254. Port of 08899. MAC of 34-EA-E7-E2-72-EA.

I just sent a help request to iOptron, but I would any additional guidance folks might be able to give. Best regards.

Mike

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 13 December 2023 - 07:42 PM

You need to connect your PC network to the HEM44 SSID network: HBX8409_XXXXXX THEN you can connect to the HEM44 IP address of: 010.010.100.254

Hmmm . . .  Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I've restarted the Wi-Fi adapter on the handset.

In my Firefox browser on the computer that I want to use, I put in 10.10.100.254. Unfortunately, nothing is detected, and the session times out.

I tried restoring factory default and then restarting Wi-Fi adapter, and trying to connect as above. The same thing happens.

I've tried restarting WiFi on the handset and then in Commander, under Wi-Fi/ethernet, clicking on CEM70G/8409HC Built-in/Star Fi. No iOptron supported device is detected. Then, I try custom with IP 10.10.100.254 and Port 08899. Again, no iOptron supported device is detected.

I've tried restoring factory defaults and then trying the above with the same results.

The handset lists SSID of HBX8409_E272EA. IP of 10.10.100.254. Port of 08899. MAC of 34-EA-E7-E2-72-EA.

I just sent a help request to iOptron, but I would any additional guidance folks might be able to give. Best regards.

Mike

Edited by Xeroid, 13 December 2023 - 08:34 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics