•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to get the public more excited about what they are seeing in the eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 geovermont

geovermont

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 20 December 2023 - 07:39 PM

I've found the discussion above very helpful. I do occasional outreach but am not an expert at it. Some of you clearly have a lot more experience at it. I'll echo those who say that Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon, etc. often get the best response. I answer a lot of questions, but try not to lecture too much, although I can see how setting the stage for viewing DSOs is critical.

As far as the scope goes, I bring my homemade 6 inch Dobsonian and make a point of showing people how to use it. Eyepiece is usually a workhorse Plossl. I let them track the object (and am ready to get them back on target). I'm trying to show them how simple it can be. Anyway, that's how I do it.

Again, a very good discussion.

• maroubra_boy, mdowns, therealdmt and 1 other like this

#27 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 January 2024 - 04:29 PM

Like everyone said, how you tell them what they're looking at is more important than what.  If there's a lot of kids, I try and tie the light years to history, for galaxies, I tell them how that gray smudge is actually billions of stars, tying it to the milky way.  Lastly, the open clusters that look like things  are always a hit, coathanger, owl, cooling tower, etc.

#28 No N in collimation

No N in collimation

Viking 1

• Loc: 36° N

Posted 15 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

"When was the first time you ever noticed the stars as a kid?" Let them talk to you about their experiences. 

"You want to see something cool? 99% of humanity has never seen what you are about to see. You're going to be disappointed, but it's really cool."

"Those stars you are looking at, those little dots -- they're as big as the sun. Imagine how big that gas cloud must be if it's that much bigger than those suns!"

"What's the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?" 

• maroubra_boy likes this

#29 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 15 January 2024 - 10:23 PM

To increase attendance @ events and to increase interest @ the EP, it helps if you can emphasize the rarity of something.  I don't lie but I do exaggerate rarity- it really works to pique interest.  People respond to FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out).

Let me give some examples:

Showing a triple-transit of Jovian moons.  I got lots of people to come look by emphasizing that I had never seen a triple (the truth).  I'd seen lots of singles and a couple of doubles.

Inviting people to see a run-of-the-mill partial solar eclipse in 2000- I wouldn't have gotten very many to come.  By promoting it as the first solar eclipse in something like 700 years to happen on Christmas Day, I got 35 to come out on Christmas morning in cold and snowy Minnesota.

In showing the 'Lunar X', I emphasized that I've only seen it a few times.  I neglect to mention that it happens about every month for somebody.

Edited by kfiscus, 15 January 2024 - 10:25 PM.

• Diana N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics