•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewers and Askar V

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tanglebones

Tanglebones

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 13 January 2024 - 09:59 AM

I'm curious about the Askar V telescope set, primarily as an intermediate imaging platform. But I also love visual astronomy, and there is no better view that using my WO binoviewers with my SW Mak 180 on the Moon. When that scope is properly cooled, it's jaw-dropping.

WRT the Askar V, which comes with both 60 and 80mm configurations, as well as an extender, flattener, and reducer for each configuration, am I correct in assuming that BV's would work with the base configuration of each scope? (i.e. with no flattener, reducer, or extender fitted). I base this on looking at their Askar 120 APO and Askar 140 APO videos where they have to lengthen the tube for visual use, leaving it shortened for binoviewing. It concerns me that they take pains to talk about BV's in those videos but make no mention of it in the Askar V ones, nor have I seen any report of anyone using one with them.

Thanks.

#2 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2024 - 01:06 PM

I’ve not used it personally, but they list the back focus as only 140mm or 150mm depending on model. That will not be enough back focus to reach focus without a binoviewer amplifier, Barlow, etc. The good news is you should be using one of these anyway for higher power viewing with binoviewers (improves the performance of the large prisms in binoviewers by slowing down effective focal ratio). If you want wide fields, binoculars are a much better option at these smaller apertures, so no real loss by using an amplifier to reach focus.

Edited by betacygni, 13 January 2024 - 01:08 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#3 Tanglebones

Tanglebones

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2024 - 09:01 PM

Thanks betacygni. I wrote to Sharpstar and received this response: "Sorry for the inconvenience. But V can not work with William Optics Binoviewers.", so that would appear to be that.

#4 Tanglebones

Tanglebones

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:13 PM

Just in case anyone else has the same question - an update. Attracted by all the configuration options, and versatility as a travel/camping scope, I bought the Askar V despite Sharpstar's comment on BV's and received it today. Of course, first thing I did was test it and am happy to report they work flawlessly in all configurations I tried.

I was initially a bit startled to find the long-distance terrestrial target I was aiming at in perfect focus as soon as I brought my eyes to the eyepieces, without having even touched the focuser knob, only to realize that meant it was in focus with exactly zero travel distance remaining in that focuser. However, I moved the 1.6 glasspath corrector from the end of the BV's to the end of the diagonal and I had plenty of focuser travel to play with. I then switched to a Tele Vue Powermate 2, 2.5, and 4 and all work fine. Yes it was only on terrestrial targets due to heavy cloud cover, but with lots of focus room to spare I don't anticipate any problems.

Very happy with my purchase, now just waiting to give it a proper first light experience.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics