•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Digital Binoviewer idea

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kim2010

Kim2010

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2024 - 03:48 PM

Do you think there can be a digital binoviewer (call it DBV) wherein a single eyepiece goes to the nosepiece of the DBV, and then the DBV contains electronics that then enhances that image and projects it into a small high-res LED screen inside which then is viewed on each eye kind of like a high-resolution VR headset. This way, A, you only need to buy one eyepiece, and, B, the view that is then seen by both eyes are high resolution enhanced views or even image intensified.

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:09 PM

I can make you one for $12,000

• cahanc, Kim2010 and ShaulaB like this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:12 PM

You could put identical Night Vision Eyepieces on each/both sides of a traditional binoviewer and enjoy that. A great advantage would be that the photon and other shot noise would be entirely uncorrelated L/R, so one's brain substantially filters it out. Maybe I'll try that --- because I already have a few identical NV eyepieces. Here is a pair attached to my 16-inch True Binoscope >>>    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 113 90 Toms JMI RB-16 six-motor electronic controls.jpg

• George Blahun Jr, RAKing, cahanc and 1 other like this

#4 Spikey131

Spikey131

Aurora

Posted 19 January 2024 - 04:16 PM

Tom’s setup is more than $12,000…..grin.gif

• TOMDEY likes this

#5 betacygni

betacygni

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 January 2024 - 07:26 PM

https://www.ovni-nig...ent/27--ovni-b-

Maybe not exactly what you’re talking about, but if I had extra money laying around…

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 January 2024 - 08:59 PM

Sadly, it may not be something you can find in your market easily or inexpensively, but the military PVS-7 is trivially easily converted into a binoviewer. There is zero modification required.

PVS 7 in dob.jpg

PVS binoviewer - Copy.jpg

If you could find one in your market with a Generation 3 image intensifier, it will be better than any digital sensor ever made, but the view will be monochrome. Now a lot of people think that is bad, but in reality most of us mostly see monochrome when viewing most deep sky objects except color doubles.

Unlike a conventional binoviewer, there is no issue with light path, and it will reach focus in just about anything.

The "Linear Binoviewer" essentially uses the same principles as were used in the PVS-7, which is a series of lenses and prisms to relay the image from the rear window of the photocathode to the field stop of the eyepieces.

Edited by Eddgie, 19 January 2024 - 09:11 PM.

• kroum, cahanc and Kim2010 like this

#7 cahanc

cahanc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Berkeley, CA

Posted 03 February 2024 - 07:15 PM

@ TOMDEY

If I could gather all words of excitement, astonishment and praise in one place it might come close in describing my reaction of seeing your setup just now. Just WOW!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics