•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

meteorite artefact?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2024 - 06:29 AM

Hello, I collect not only meteorites and rocks but also antique object made of stone with the hope of an unusual stone artefact. I have bought a stone ring because i couldn't place the type of stone and have never seen anything like it. It atracts a magnet and has a crystal structure that looks allot like an diogenite or enstatite achondrite. So does anyone recognize the crystal structure as in possible meteorite. And could this be a meteorite artefact? I know it is a longshot but you never know.

Attached Thumbnails

• 56.jpg
  • 55.jpg
  • IMG_20240124_143101962.jpg

• ziggeman likes this

#2 ziggeman

ziggeman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2024 - 07:39 AM

porphyry? it looks very hard. Some expensive vases are made from that.
https://en.m.wikiped...phyry_(geology)

Edited by ziggeman, 25 January 2024 - 07:42 AM.

• ShaulaB likes this

#3 emflocater  Happy Birthday!

emflocater

Vanguard

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 25 January 2024 - 07:58 AM

Could be Magnetite.

Cheers

Don

#4 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:44 AM

porphyry? it looks very hard. Some expensive vases are made from that.
https://en.m.wikiped...phyry_(geology)

it is a hard stone yes but it has angular olivine crystals and the schiller effect.

#5 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:45 AM

Could be Magnetite.

Cheers

Don

to weekly magnetic for that. but it does give a reaction to a magnet on a string.

#6 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2024 - 06:35 AM

Does it not resemble a diogenite?

#7 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2024 - 01:31 PM

Hello everyone, i have an updat about the possible meteorite artefact. First it is not old because i found similair ones on the webb. But the stone it is made off is super interesting and it is very possible that the maker took any stone he could get his hands on and it looks like it is made of an achondrite meteorite.

it is mosty likely from china but have to do more research on that.

It is very hard and almost glassy and lo and behold it contains shock veins. I had to clean it thoroughly because it was coated with a black muck and when it was cleaned up the beauty reveiled itself. Unbelieveble what i can see through the loop.

So it atrack a magnet although not strongly and it's got a very complex crystal composition and contain shockveins. Any input is welcom i am here to learn as much as i can.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20240127_190055934.jpg
  • IMG_20240127_190235464.jpg
  • IMG_20240127_190252811.jpg

Edited by unfindable, 27 January 2024 - 01:36 PM.

#8 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2024 - 08:56 AM

the best photo's what i could take. Please tell me what this is meteorite or meterwrong????

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20240128_144756994_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20240128_144736913_HDR.jpg
  • IMG_20240128_144538266.jpg

#9 emflocater  Happy Birthday!

emflocater

Vanguard

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 28 January 2024 - 04:25 PM

The only thing that sways me to believe its not a meteorite material is to shape a meteorite into a gear like shape that you have, it would require a tremendous amount of temperature in the 3000+ F degrees. You would need a special furnace to do this. If a magnet was attracted to it powerfully it would contain plenty of iron or Nickel content. I guess the only way to know is find a place that can test what metals it is made of or send it out to one of those meteorite labs to test.

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 28 January 2024 - 04:28 PM.

#10 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2024 - 04:35 PM

The only thing that sways me to believe its not a meteorite material is to shape a meteorite into a gear like shape that you have, it would require a tremendous amount of temperature in the 3000+ F degrees. You would need a special furnace to do this. If a magnet was attracted to it powerfully it would contain plenty of iron or Nickel content. I guess the only way to know is find a place that can test what metals it is made of or send it out to one of those meteorite labs to test.

Cheers

Don

Hi Don, the ring has been made in china and usualy they use marble to carve it but i think that they take any rock they can to carve it in this shape. It is a very strange but cool and intereseting rock. plaese read  all the descriptions i made to get the whole picture. It atracts a magnet and is very hard. There is a smal change they found a weatherd meteorite and carved it without knowing. testing this one would ber very interesting but i don.t  trust the post to send iit.

• emflocater likes this

#11 John the Space Traveler

John the Space Traveler

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: American Southwest

Posted 28 January 2024 - 05:44 PM

In my humble opinion that doesn't look like a meteorite.  That looks like a nicely polished piece of very common terrestrial basalt, an igneous rock.  The crystals are likely phenocrysts, which are common growths in igneous rocks.  You say it has olivine, which is also commonly found in basalts.

Some meteorites are also igneous, but they typically have other attributes that distinguish them from earth rocks, and I don't see that with your sample.  Remember, you can't ID anything off of a single attribute.  Geological context of the sample is important (where was it found, and how old is it for example), as well as other intrinsic qualities.

If you want more info you should consider investing in books on meteorites as well as rocks and minerals.  The pictures will be helpful, but the text will help you understand other factors that affect ID other than just visuals.

Edited by John the Space Traveler, 28 January 2024 - 05:46 PM.

• emflocater likes this

#12 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

• Loc: Latchford, Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:43 AM

I think someone drilled the center out of a petrified Oreo. lol.gif

Seriously though, those crystals and veins sure are pretty.

• unfindable likes this

#13 unfindable

unfindable

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2024 - 11:21 AM

I think someone drilled the center out of a petrified Oreo. lol.gif

Seriously though, those crystals and veins sure are pretty.

yes i am going to look at it under a microscope, that will be houres of fun. in reality it is more beautifull.

• Astroman007 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics