•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the Questar lure?

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#401 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:29 AM

So I got my duplex less than 5 years ago , it's from 70's and I paid 1200.00, I am happy with it .I don't think Chas meant he was going to buy one that's not usable, just a nice scope at a decent price. At least that's the way I took it. I like my questar,  I doubt if I would have paid a lot more for it, glad I got it.I don't feel any smarter for buying it and I wouldn't feel like a dope if I sold it.

The questar has amazing build quality and superb optics. I don't see the need to compare with the Meade ETX 90. It's been mentioned the mount is plastic, but I've seen lots of ETX RA's around 25 years old that function beautifully. Later when they came out with the EC version and added Autostar 497 they really did bring it to another level.

The fact that ETX doesn't have a machined metal mount doesn't diminish it in my opinion because it functions very well. The fact that my questar duplex doesn't have go to capability doesn't make it obsolete. Just a couple of the many telescopes out ther, gathering photons like they were designed to do. I guess I see the allure in all of them.

$1200 was a great deal.   A rare deal.   I hope Chas does find a Questar someday for the price he wants to pay.   And I agree with you on the ETX.  I just wish they woold have found another way to mount the secondary baffle a little better that just using glue.  

#402 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:37 AM

My Q is from 1976, has the enhanced coatings, and they are still fine, to my relief. 

Several years ago, a friend and I went to check out a used Q in the Phoenix area that was going for cheap. The guy who had it knew nothing about it, and I suspect it was stolen. It was also useless. It had some kind of a weird non-Q non-Brandon eyepiece that could not be removed. The scope also could not be focused. I think it had other issues as well. The dew cap was in good shape though, and one of us should have offered $20 for that. 

• starman876 and Bomber Bob like this

#403 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: Margaritaville

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:31 PM

What is the point of this discussion? There was never a time, where you couldn't easily buy a scope far cheaper than the Questar, that not only matched it, but wildly outperformed it optically. This is as true today, as it was in 1960. Everyone knows that. No one denies it (if they're honest with themselves). 

Now, I don't own a Questar, and have only used one for a few hours, but I do own something else: A $3000 63mm Zeiss achromat. Yes, I own, and use, a 63mm scope that has cost me over $3k. Why on Earth would I have spent so much money on such a small scope, you may ask? Because it gives me great joy and pleasure to use it, as well as to look at, when I'm not using it. For others, it would likely have made much more sense to spend it on a large Dobsonian, or something like that, but for me, the small scope has been just right. And so is the case with many Questar owners, I believe. It's right for them, because it gives them joy and pleasure to use it. I've literally used the little Zeiss thousands of hours, but only taken very few pictures with it that I've published. It's not really built for that, but for visual observing (and I'm primarily also just interested in visual observing). Something similar is likely the case for most Questar owners: They're primarily visual observers, and the scope is also optimized for that. 

You don't need to spend much to get a good telescope, thank God, but if you have the means to afford it, I don't see anything wrong in going for the very best you can afford. You may not understand the choice others make, but that doesn't mean they've made a wrong one.

Clear skies!

Thomas, Denmark   

waytogo.gif Nailed it! 

#404 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 19 February 2024 - 07:51 PM

Well a 3.5Q is way down on my want list at this time. But if i find some sucker selling one cheap i am in if it is local.

Edited by CHASLX200, 19 February 2024 - 07:51 PM.

#405 clamchip

clamchip

Hubble

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:14 PM

Something I just thought of is bird watching clubs, sites, etc. might be a good place to

look for a Questar.

It will probably be a field model, nothing wrong with that, it's the same telescope.

We may have missed the boat because the transition from Q's to high performance 100mm

spotters was probably 10-15 years ago. 

All my wife's birding buddies are using Pentax 100mm triplet spotters now. I think they are

better off with a Q if you ask me. The Q is much lighter and more compact.

Still though I think it would be worth a look at the birding community of any field models

collecting dust. 

Robert 

• Bob Campbell likes this

#406 John R.

John R.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lacey, Washington

Posted 19 February 2024 - 09:18 PM

I share the same sentiment Thomas (Astrojensen) expressed about his 63mm Zeiss refractor, ($3000), except that I feel that way about my Spectrum 60mm f8.3 refractor, ($31). It is just a gem! I can’t explain why that should be so. It is even pretty in its back and gold livery. I have had it about one year and although the price now is $52 I would still recommend it for a feather light 60. I dunno, maybe my sample is somehow that one unit out of many that everything came together just right, but no, not too sure about that……

• Bob Campbell likes this

#407 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:13 AM

Well a 3.5Q is way down on my want list at this time. But if i find some sucker selling one cheap i am in if it is local.

"But if i find some sucker selling one cheap i am in if it is local."

ohmy.gif

Bob

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#408 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

"But if i find some sucker selling one cheap i am in if it is local."

ohmy.gif

Bob

Hmmm,  highly critical of the methods that a lot of people uselol.gif

#409 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:55 AM

doesn't make it right. smile.gif If you know anything about guitars, that's how Norman's Rare Guitars in LA got started.  He proudly recounted it in his memoir. Found a guy (sucker) who sold (or was it a trade?) him a first of a kind Gibson Explorer at a song(or for a ordinary guitar).

No wonder things are as they are in the world. Such stuff needs to be called out.

Bob

• Joe Bergeron, michael1959, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#410 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:36 AM

I’m sure he’s on the lookout for Questar’s owned by widow’s, children, etc. as well. crutch.gif

• Joe Bergeron, Paul Hyndman, Bob Campbell and 3 others like this

#411 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:59 AM

I’m sure he’s on the lookout for Questar’s owned by widow’s, children, etc. as well. crutch.gif

I'm no saint, but I bought my 1971 Criterion RV-6 from the Son of the Original Owner.  His Ad was $150 for the Scope & Mount.  When he saw my interest, he went back in the garage, and came back with a complete eyepiece set, plus docs, plus his Dad's observing logs...  I offered to pay him for these Extras, but he wouldn't take any money.  I promised to keep the logs, and I still have them - great to browse on rainy days!

AND... I paid $50 more than the asking price for the 1956 Space Scope 151 that had all the original docs, including the dated sales receipt from The Akron.

When you live in a Telescope Desert, ANY local buy is an instant Classic!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 22 February 2024 - 11:06 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, Bob Campbell, brian dewelles and 3 others like this

#412 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:43 PM

true dat' waytogo.gif

sad ohmy.gif

Bob

#413 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:49 PM

I'm no saint, but I bought my 1971 Criterion RV-6 from the Son of the Original Owner.  His Ad was $150 for the Scope & Mount.  When he saw my interest, he went back in the garage, and came back with a complete eyepiece set, plus docs, plus his Dad's observing logs...  I offered to pay him for these Extras, but he wouldn't take any money.  I promised to keep the logs, and I still have them - great to browse on rainy days!

AND... I paid $50 more than the asking price for the 1956 Space Scope 151 that had all the original docs, including the dated sales receipt from The Akron.

i paid $50 for my first 4" Tinsley.  I had no idea what it was. Said Saturn on the label. Never heard of it.  I am looking for more deals like that.  

• Bob Campbell, Bomber Bob and NinePlanets like this

#414 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:55 PM

I sold my Cave 10" f6 for $650 back in NM. Guy drove from SC (or NC?) to pick it up. Asked me if I wanted more, and I said I would stand by my price.

When my daughter was born. I sold my Nexstar 8, orange tube C5 and a whole bunch of Seibert original EPs for like $500 total to a guy in Gallup who was also an astronomy teacher at one of the Native American schools there.

So I was/(am) quite the sucker. slap.gif

Right now, I'm hanging on to all my stuff. Probably the final installment trying to keep it simple.

Edit: And I was the beneficiary of kindness here. I asked about dimensions on a wedge in a topic I made, and a very kind gentleman DMed me and said he had exactly what I wanted, and whether I wanted it. Gratis, not even shipping (from Nova Scotia). I was blown away.

Bob

Edited by Bob Campbell, 22 February 2024 - 12:59 PM.

• deSitter likes this

#415 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:23 PM

I sold my Cave 10" f6 for $650 back in NM. Guy drove from SC (or NC?) to pick it up. Asked me if I wanted more, and I said I would stand by my price.

When my daughter was born. I sold my Nexstar 8, orange tube C5 and a whole bunch of Seibert original EPs for like $500 total to a guy in Gallup who was also an astronomy teacher at one of the Native American schools there.

So I was/(am) quite the sucker. slap.gif

Right now, I'm hanging on to all my stuff. Probably the final installment trying to keep it simple.

Edit: And I was the beneficiary of kindness here. I asked about dimensions on a wedge in a topic I made, and a very kind gentleman DMed me and said he had exactly what I wanted, and whether I wanted it. Gratis, not even shipping (from Nova Scotia). I was blown away.

Bob

There are people that are very kind and a pleasure to know. Then there are the ones that always complain.  I feel sorry for them, they must be lonely.  And then there are some which are always looking to screw someone.  Feel sorry for them also.  You know darn well they are lonely.   I like to deal with the kind people.  They make life a joy. 

• Paul Hyndman and Bob Campbell like this

#416 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:40 PM

We have really gone off the rails here! Can we please get off of Memory Lane and Cheap Thrills Avenue and back into Questar World?

• Bob Campbell, deSitter, Dave Trott and 6 others like this

#417 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:04 PM

1964 Questar Standard with full service and all new optics for $3800 shipped, in case anyone besides Terra is feeling the allure. Questar describes it as "like new" following the service and upgrades, with 1/8 wave optics.

https://astromart.co...ndard-35-585812

Has the beautiful old leather case and early eyepiece. You also get the original optics set -- in case you want to try to roll your own? Seems like the best combination of classic style and modern glass. 

Part of the allure is that you can still send in a 60 year old scope and have it completely refurbished -- good for another 60 years. Who else in the business will do that after this long?

Chip W. 

• Paul Hyndman, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#418 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

• Loc: High and Dry

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:58 PM

I'm pretty sure Zeiss still stands behind their products.

#419 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Zeiss still stands behind their products.

Does their web site show a list of standard services that they offer for their amateur scopes from 1964? If you've damaged the objective or the focuser for your Telementor, do they have replacements in stock? Or is it more like, "If you pay us enough, we'll do a custom job for you, but you may prefer to look for a used replacement."

Chip W. 

#420 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:38 PM

That '64 standard looks gorgeous! Thankfully I don't have an A-mart account. The divorce would be brutal. :)
  • deSitter likes this

#421 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 22 February 2024 - 06:59 PM

We have really gone off the rails here! Can we please get off of Memory Lane and Cheap Thrills Avenue and back into Questar World?

I'm generally a happy camper in Questar World; but, of course, I do have a few nit-noids...

- Replacement Parts are near-impossible to find.  I'd like to replace the original & old Bakelite corrector Retaining Ring with a metal version - preferably anodized black.

- A small section of the corrector's black "baffle" (painted disk on the exterior face) chipped off - a clean sharp-edged break.  I understand Q switched to a thin metal disk that's glued on.

- IMO, the power plug should've been on the side of the base ring, rather than on the bottom.  I mean, it's not like that shiny metal is an unbroken circle -- there are 2 holes for the tabletop legs...  I have to remind myself of the inconvenient bottom location when I "spin" it onto my Meade 884 platform...

Yeah, nit-noids, either cosmetic or for convenience.  Too bad the Q was designed before I was born - it's missing those common-sense Southerner touches.

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert and oldmanastro like this

#422 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Gemini

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:52 PM

- IMO, the power plug should've been on the side of the base ring, rather than on the bottom.  I mean, it's not like that shiny metal is an unbroken circle -- there are 2 holes for the tabletop legs...

I agree. It’s a terrible place for the power plug. I guess at the time when it was designed the mounting options were limited and that everyone would simply use the tabletop legs.

#423 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:20 PM

- IMO, the power plug should've been on the side of the base ring, rather than on the bottom.  I mean, it's not like that shiny metal is an unbroken circle -- there are 2 holes for the tabletop legs...

I agree. It’s a terrible place for the power plug. I guess at the time when it was designed the mounting options were limited and that everyone would simply use the tabletop legs.

I guess the intent was to use the tabletop tripod, and a side-mount cord would get in the way more often than one on the bottom?

Shame on Questar!  Not anticipating the wide variety of tripods that would be available a mere 40 years later...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 22 February 2024 - 09:25 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#424 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

• Loc: High and Dry

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:42 PM

It's nothing a drill can't fix.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#425 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:49 PM

You can send them in for a retrofit to run on a 9V battery, and do away with the cord entirely. So they have seen the error of their earlier ways, and in doing so, have provided an option to have an even more elegant, portable, and convenient observatory in a box.

Some companies might have just left you to 3D print your own replacement power plug to stuff into the bottom of the base....

Chip W. 

• rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and NinePlanets like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics