•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is the Questar lure?

• Please log in to reply
439 replies to this topic

#426 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:15 PM

It's nothing a drill can't fix.

I like the way you think.  Since it's such an elegant scope, I'd spring for a brand new blade for my Dremel...

You can send them in for a retrofit to run on a 9V battery, and do away with the cord entirely.

That's a better solution than my Dremel & Duct Tape.  Mine hasn't been back to the Mothership in exactly 50 years.  I bet they'd love my laundry list of improvements...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 22 February 2024 - 10:18 PM.

• flyboyu777 likes this

#427 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 23 February 2024 - 01:27 AM

The original design of the Q3.5 had the silvered spot on the outside of the corrector - which is a completely different optical setup than having it on the inside. I can't remember the details, but the spot got moved outside to forestall patent infringement. When sending in an old scope with this external spot for optical refurbishment/repair, I seem to remember someone saying that the optics would be replaced with the internal-spot version. I don't think I would be happy if that happened to mine. Is this another example of my old head getting forgetful?

-drl

#428 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:47 AM

Hmmm,  highly critical of the methods that a lot of people uselol.gif

I hope you know i was joking.  I am not looking for one at this time. But if one local popped up then maybe.

#429 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 23 February 2024 - 08:04 AM

I hope you know i was joking.  I am not looking for one at this time. But if one local popped up then maybe.

I know you don't joke around Chas,  You are a serious guywaytogo.gif

#430 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 23 February 2024 - 11:48 AM

- IMO, the power plug should've been on the side of the base ring, rather than on the bottom.  I mean, it's not like that shiny metal is an unbroken circle -- there are 2 holes for the tabletop legs...

I agree. It’s a terrible place for the power plug. I guess at the time when it was designed the mounting options were limited and that everyone would simply use the tabletop legs.

- IMO, the power plug should've been on the side of the base ring, rather than on the bottom.  I mean, it's not like that shiny metal is an unbroken circle -- there are 2 holes for the tabletop legs...

I agree. It’s a terrible place for the power plug. I guess at the time when it was designed the mounting options were limited and that everyone would simply use the tabletop legs.

I wish it (the AC connector) would have been on the rear side between the two leg socket holes.

• rcwolpert and flyboyu777 like this

#431 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:55 PM

I wish it (the AC connector) would have been on the rear side between the two leg socket holes.

I think the Questar should be powered by a battery no cord at all. You know that would not be that hard to do.   A simple 12 volt to 120vac converter and a battery,  There is a ton of room in the base. of course we would need a switch for off and on.

Edited by starman876, 23 February 2024 - 02:57 PM.

• flyboyu777 likes this

#432 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:16 PM

I think the Questar should be powered by a battery no cord at all. You know that would not be that hard to do.   A simple 12 volt to 120vac converter and a battery,  There is a ton of room in the base. of course we would need a switch for off and on.

I use a lithium-based Meade LXPS 18 Amp-hour Portable Power Supply. It has a built-in inverter and a polarized AC socket to the Questar power cord plugs directly into it. It’s also much smaller than the old 12V DC booster batteries, has USB connectors and built-in metering, and holds its charge for months and months. I’ve heard good things about the Powerguide II that was built in the Questar base and I believe used a 9V battery. I’ve also heard not so good things about the current PGIII.

Edited by Terra Nova, 23 February 2024 - 04:19 PM.

#433 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 24 February 2024 - 07:36 AM

I think the Questar should be powered by a battery no cord at all. You know that would not be that hard to do. A simple 12 volt to 120vac converter and a battery, There is a ton of room in the base. of course we would need a switch for off and on.

You would retain the AC motors? Wouldn't it make more sense to change to DC motors, if only to make the battery last longer?
  • Bob Campbell likes this

#434 archer1960

archer1960

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern New England

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:30 PM

You would retain the AC motors? Wouldn't it make more sense to change to DC motors, if only to make the battery last longer?

AC motors are typically more durable than DC motors, because they don't need brushes and commutators. Unless, of course, you're talking about "brushless" DC motors, which are constructed like AC motors, but use relatively complex electronics to run them.

#435 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:08 PM

AC motors are typically more durable than DC motors, because they don't need brushes and commutators. Unless, of course, you're talking about "brushless" DC motors, which are constructed like AC motors, but use relatively complex electronics to run them.

I never knew that! Well worth getting less life out of each battery.
  • archer1960 and flyboyu777 like this

#436 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 25 February 2024 - 02:37 AM

Make it like the C8 was in the 90's with a 9 volt.  That could lure me even more..

#437 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern TN

Posted 25 February 2024 - 05:15 AM

Make it like the C8 was in the 90's with a 9 volt.  That could lure me even more..

No more delay.  That feature is available now, Chas.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and flyboyu777 like this

#438 flyboyu777

flyboyu777

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ranburne Alabama

Posted 29 February 2024 - 06:43 PM

They are now. . . . . you are talking about 60's tech when all the scopes had AC synchronous motors.

#439 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 29 February 2024 - 11:10 PM

They are now. . . . . you are talking about 60's tech when all the scopes had AC synchronous motors.

well we are talking classic scopes of coursegrin.gif

#440 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern TN

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:00 AM

Don’t encourage him Johan 😀

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics