•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 884 Deluxe Tripod - Spring / clip /washer sizes for mounting to plate?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 summetj

summetj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2024 - 09:25 AM

I have a Meade 884 Deluxe Tripod for my ETX125 (both previously owned).  When connecting the telescope to the EQ tilt plate, there are two handscrews.

One of them has a spring/washer/clip arrangement so that it is "spring loaded" to "push into" the mounting screw hole.

The other does not.  I initially thought that this was intentional (e.g. you do one first and then the other so only one needs the spring arrangement) but after looking closer, I suspect that the 2nd spring/washer/clip has just been lost by the previous owner, as the 2nd hand screw has the same clip notch in it.

Questions:

1) Can somebody else with a factory stock 844 tripod let me know if both handscrews should be spring mounted?

2) Does anybody have the exact sizes / part numbers (or even better, a source to purchase them?) for the spring/washer/clip?  [I expect I can find replacements at a hardware store if I took in my existing samples, as they don't look super specialized, but if somebody has already taken them apart, measured them, and found replacement part numbers that would be great!]

Jay

#2 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2024 - 04:25 PM

On the 884 tripods I have had, both of the attachment bolts have been spring loaded.  

I found this on Weasner's ETX site from back in 2010 when someone had lost the washer and clip (not the spring).

"for anyone that has lost similar parts I would suggest a trip to one of the big home improvement stores such as Lowes or Home Depot for a Hillman # 880766 six-millimeter washer and a Hillman 1/4 inch e-clip.  I'm not sure if the holes in the mounting plate are universal on all of the 884's, but the parts I mentioned make good replacements for the originals.  The 6 mm washer is a better fit than the original and seems like it was made for the tripod as there is very little play side to side, but moves freely up and down."

Hope that helps.

• summetj likes this

#3 summetj

summetj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

Report: the ID of 6mm washers fit the posts very well.  However, a regular 6mm washer from the hardware store had a relatively small OD which didn't fit the cast aluminum hole on the wedge plate very well at all (too small by far).  A 6mm fender washer was too big on the OD (wouldn't fit inside the hole).  I ended up taking a 4mm fender washer (which had the perfect OD) and drilling out the 4mm hole to 6mm. Hacky, but it worked with what my local hardware store had.

a 1/4" e-clip is completely wrong way too big (maybe 1/4" measured on the outside....but e-clips are sold by the measurement of the post they clip to.....) So I found an imperial one that I made work, but I suspect you need a metric e-clip of some sort.

Anyways, now I have two spring loaded bolts, so yey I guess.....

#4 WaveGuide

WaveGuide

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2024 - 02:45 PM

- - - However, a regular 6mm washer from the hardware store had a relatively small OD which didn't fit the cast aluminum hole on the wedge plate very well at all (too small by far).  A 6mm fender washer was too big on the OD (wouldn't fit inside the hole).

Hello Jay,

Just so you know next time, 'ordinary' flat washers come in several 'forms' termed A, B, C, D and so on, up to G. Each has the same bore (6mm in your example), with varying ODs. So, if you know the optimum OD, check the related sizes on a Flat Washer Form Chart. Just Google the name and you'll find lots of info. I often buy 6mm Form C washers from eBay.

Cheers,

- Jack T

#5 summetj

summetj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:19 PM

Just so you know next time, 'ordinary' flat washers come in several 'forms' termed A, B, C, D and so on, up to G. Each has the same bore (6mm in your example), with varying ODs. So, if you know the optimum OD, check the related sizes on a Flat Washer Form Chart. Just Google the name and you'll find lots of info. I often buy 6mm Form C washers from eBay.

Thanks, but I was limited to the washers on-hand at the local hardware store....

#6 summetj

summetj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2024 - 10:29 PM

FYI - If anybody else is looking to do this repair (or add an 3/8-16 mounting bolt to the Meade 884 tripod) I've made a video of the procedure I followed to mount my Seestar S50 to the 884 tripod. [The procedure adds a removable 3/8-16 mounting bolt to the center of the equatorial wedge plate with a drilled & tapped hole.]

The spring clip & washer repair specifically is at 11min 30 sec into the video:

https://youtu.be/aJUKEdx4ZVQ

#7 stevensegars7

stevensegars7

Sputnik

Posted 04 February 2024 - 12:31 PM

Ace Hardware should have the clip you need, on the cheap.  I got mine there.

#8 summetj

summetj

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2024 - 01:25 PM

I found a clip that worked.

#9 kibatme

kibatme

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 April 2024 - 04:13 PM

I lost the washers, springs and e-clips transporting my ETX-125 this past week. Just got done repairing them using M6 flat washers and 3/16" e-clips. I had an assortment of springs on my workbench and used a 3/8" x 5/8" compression spring.

When attaching the e-clips I used a piece of duct tape to which I attached the flat washer. Used an xacto knife to clear the tape from the washer opening and then placed the washer over the bolt, pressing  the tape onto the tripod keeping the spring compressed while attaching the e-clips. The clips are a bit too large, and might work loose, so after removing the tape I put a couple drops of super glue on each to (hopefully) keep them from slipping off.

Looks like a beautiful night here in the Twin Cities so taking the ETX out to tonight's public event at Eagle Lake Observatory to confirm the repair is adequate.

Mike Kibat

Minnesota Astronomical Society

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics