•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Linear Binoviewer: Yes or No?

Equipment Orion Visual Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#176 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:14 PM

I would need a second one to determine that.   Anyone want to send me the second one?  grin.gif

No Mike, just test it during the day and you will see easily if it vignettes...

I'm also testing just one BZ with different LBV combos...wink.gif 

#177 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:56 PM

No Mike, just test it during the day and you will see easily if it vignettes...

I'm also testing just one BZ with different LBV combos...wink.gif 

What do you mean by "test it during the day?"   If it involves rulers and walls, that's not happening.  If I can just put one eyepiece in one side of the binoviewer and detect vignetting by looking through it, like I have been doing with two eyepieces, that's a possibility.  I could see some minor vignetting in the 18 Paradigm this way.

The Baader Zooms should not show any vignetting.  Their field stop is only about 17.6mm, which is about what the clear aperture of the linear binoviewer is.  I already tested my BZ Mark III's back in post # 148:

8-24 Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III (17.6mm field stop):  AFOV the same size through linears as through eyepiece held in the hand.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 03 April 2024 - 01:57 PM.

#178 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

I just now looked through my one 12.5 Docter in the linear binoviewer.  Looks like perhaps a narrow band of vignetting.  Difficult to notice unless you're looking for it.  It might even be merely an effect of not holding the eyepiece steady against the eye.  The Docter's field stop is 19.2mm.  The Kasai Number would be 1050 (12.5 x 84).

If anyone wants to binoview a pair of Docters in the linear, go for it.  I'm not, for two reasons:  cost and weight.  grin.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 03 April 2024 - 03:49 PM.

• DRodrigues likes this

#179 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2024 - 06:27 PM

What do you mean by "test it during the day?"   If it involves rulers and walls, that's not happening.  If I can just put one eyepiece in one side of the binoviewer and detect vignetting by looking through it, like I have been doing with two eyepieces, that's a possibility.  I could see some minor vignetting in the 18 Paradigm this way.

The Baader Zooms should not show any vignetting.  Their field stop is only about 17.6mm, which is about what the clear aperture of the linear binoviewer is.  I already tested my BZ Mark III's back in post # 148:

Mike

Yes, just looking through the eyepiece on the LBV. Thanks for the test. My idea would be more the APM HW version (due to costs...), but yes, weight would continue to be a limiting factor.

With at least one of my combos the BZ vignettes on the LBV (more info some weeks later...), but fortunately for most here at CN isn't with astro telescopes...wink.gif 

In case some of you might try to guess, have a look at  https://www.birdforu...64/post-4587580...cool.gif

• Sarkikos likes this

#180 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:31 PM

Today, I received the pair of 18mm Svbony UFF.  Testing them in the linear binoviewer, using the method in post # 141 above, I could see some vignetting, about 10%.  It's hard to judge accurately.  I could also see the vignetting by just looking through one of the eyepieces while it's in the binoviewer.  There was a 10% or so ring between the clear aperture produced by the linear binoviewer and the field stop of the eyepiece.

The Kasai Number of the SVbony 18mm UFF is 1170 (18x65), if we can believe the 65-degree AFOV figure.  I just now compared the AFOV of my 7 Delite to the 18 UFF.  The Delite has a 62-degree AFOV.  The AFOV's looked virtually the same.  I'd be hard pressed to say one is any wider than the other.  

If we plug in 62 degrees, the 18 UFF has a Kasai Number of 1116 (18x62).   The 18.2mm Delites would come out at about 1128 (18.2x62)   So, I predict the 18.2 Delite's will vignette similarly to the 18 UFF's.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 12 April 2024 - 09:43 PM.

#181 Bintang13

Bintang13

Explorer 1

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:03 PM

I used the Orion Linear Binoviewers with a 12” Dob on Mon April 8th. Conditions showed above average transparency between 10pm and 4am. My main goal was to view Globular Clusters and see how close I could get to using a 10” Dob mono. The 15mm APM 65 degree eyepieces at 101 mag put up great views so I left them in all night. I had just changed out the primary springs so it was the first time with the 12 that collimation stayed all night, which made an amazing difference. The views of M3, M5, M13,M92,M10 and M12 were at least as good to my eyes as mono with the 10” Dob. The scale and reach of the view in the 12” Dob surprised me. The views of M16 and M26 showed more detail, I had never seen ngc6207 a galaxy near M13 as prominently. The highlights were M11, M5 and M16. I must have spent at least 15 minutes viewing each. Since the issues with floaters in my observing eye I had stopped concentrating on viewing globs. Very happy to have them back.

Jim

Edited by Bintang13, 13 April 2024 - 12:24 PM.

• Sarkikos, jprideaux and Takuan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Orion, Visual, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics