•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Analog Sky Sunny: High Power Solar Binoculars for the April 8 Eclipse!

Solar 3d printing Binoculars DIY ATM Sketching Refractor Visual
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robertasumendi

robertasumendi

Analog Sky Giant Space Binoculars

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield, Oregon USA

Posted 29 January 2024 - 02:57 PM

Looking for a special way to experience the April 8 eclipse? Just in time, Analog Sky has you covered! We’re introducing Sunny, the course that shows you how to build your own dedicated solar binoculars. Unlike anything you can buy off the shelf, your binoculars will have

Magnification up to 50x with standard optics (up to 120x with upgraded optics)

90 degree angle and tripod mount for comfortable viewing

Built-in solar finder and solar shade

Permanently attached (with bolts, not rubber bands or friction!) solar filters

Permanently attached lens caps to keep the filters safe

Easy image merging/collimation controls

Magnetic cartridge slots for 1.25” color filters

Aggressive internal microbaffling for maximum contrast

Focuser adapters compatible with other Analog Sky binocular models

Here's a special in-depth look I put together for you: https://www.youtube....?v=DK2njlgjJBM 

Solar viewing with two eyes gives you “lucky imaging” during the day. (Thank you, brain!) Despite daytime seeing challenges, the average of both eyes is much sharper than what you see when you close one eye. And because you’re able to stare comfortably for long periods of time, you catch more moments of excellent seeing, revealing more details.

When you buy Sunny, you get lifetime access to the full video course with live links to all the components and supplies needed.

Sunny also includes Ember, a bonus alternate build style for day/night use. Ember uses larger mirrors for full illumination of 2” eyepieces, 2” magnetic filter cartridge slots, and safety dew shields that replace the solar filters during nighttime use. The newly-developed baffling has superior nighttime performance to flocked materials. Install f/6 lenses and use them with 42mm eyepieces for the most incredible 7x50 experience possible. Then magnify up to 100x for sharp planetary views. Ember is a versatile instrument that can be built with truly stunning image quality.

Analog Sky Magic launched in September 2023 and our growing community of Magicmakers has provided a lot of great feedback that’s allowed us to perfect several components. Sunny incorporates all of these updates from day one.

Join the Analog Sky community on our quest to perfect stargazing through both eyes!

Sunny Specs

Objective: 50mm clear aperture, configurable to any focal length between f/3.6 and f/7 (standard focal length is 225)

Image Orientation: Horizontal flip

IPD Range: 58-75mm (fits everyone)

Standard Dimensions: 336 x 205 x 137 mm (13.25 x 8 x 5.5 inches)

Weight: ~2.25 kg (5 lbs) with eyepieces

Standard Zoom Range: 10-50x (upgradeable to 7-120x)

Filters: Any standard 1.25" filter (or 2” filter with Ember)

Sketch thread: https://www.cloudyni...-sun-sketches/ 

Visit https://analogsky.co/ to see more and sign up for Sunny!

analog-sky-sunny.jpg

Edited by robertasumendi, 29 January 2024 - 03:02 PM.

• vincentv and A Y like this

#2 robertasumendi

robertasumendi

Analog Sky Giant Space Binoculars

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Springfield, Oregon USA

Posted 01 February 2024 - 02:11 PM

Our Sunny community has already put together a group buy for high-end f/7 lenses from Edmund Optics at a significant discount. We'll leave it open for a couple more days in case anyone else wants to join in!

Here's today's Sun sketch through Sunny! There were a ton of clouds, and really only about 5 seconds of good seeing in 15 minutes of sketching. Since I was totally comfortable looking through both eyes, I didn't miss those beautiful 5 seconds. 

24-02-01-sunsketch.jpg

#3 natewalck

natewalck

Lift Off

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:27 AM

This design is awesome, for anyone who is on the fence. I've built two so far (one in 225mm and one in 300mm) and I have a third in progress (350mm). I'll be using one as a dedicated Sun binocular (Sunny of course) and the other two will be my dedicated night sky binos(2x Ember with 50mm mirrors). I wanted the kids to be able to cruise around the sky on the binoculars vs me getting the giant dob out and making them wait between objects, everyone getting cold and going back inside, etc. 

On top of that, this is opening up a whole new form of stargazing that I never had before. The ability to grab the tripod, run outside and observe for 10-15 minutes and pack up just as easily is the killer feature of this setup. I don't even need a perfect night...if there is a break in the clouds, I'm out there while its clear. The setup that is easiest to use is the one I actually use in practice.

IMG_9110_lowres.jpeg

• robertasumendi and Ice Cube like this

#4 jkelly

jkelly

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 10 May 2024 - 09:37 AM

Natewalck,

Can you give some feedback on the three focal lengths 250mm - 300mm and what you recommend for stargazing?

TY!

• robertasumendi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, 3d printing, Binoculars, DIY, ATM, Sketching, Refractor, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics