•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

39 replies to this topic

#26 Wolfwatcher

Wolfwatcher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Colorado

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:17 PM

For CollinofAlabama,

I grew up in Spur, TX. It had pristine night skies, except, of course, looking west toward your city, Lubbock! But on the subject of a partial eclipse, I want to say that while totality is "where it's at," a partial can be very exciting as well. I could not be at a great spot for the annular eclipse last fall, but my backyard in Denver had some pretty good views anyway. And, especially since a lot of neighbors got to come over to look through my Coronado SolarMax, it was rewarding for everyone. I know several are now making their way in April to Texas to catch the eclipse there. Me? I'm on my way to upstate NY, since I had plans to be in New England anyway at that time. So, fingers crossed, maybe the murky northeast will find a way to let a little sun through here and there on the 8th.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0721226B-19AD-47AD-B2F2-3DFEC3B4E4EB.jpeg

Edited by Wolfwatcher, 12 February 2024 - 09:23 PM.

• CollinofAlabama and lee14 like this

#27 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:32 PM

Yes, I know about Lubbock from the West.  One of our favorite observing sites is in Crosby County at the Emma Cemetery.

We had a blast here in town for the Annular (88.9% partial in Lubbock).  See my website.

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 14 February 2024 - 05:38 PM.

• Wolfwatcher likes this

#28 Wolfwatcher

Wolfwatcher

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Colorado

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:12 PM

Yes, I know about Lubbock from the West.  One of our favorite observing sites is in Crosby County at the Emma Cemetery.  We had a blast here in town for the Annular (88.9% partial here in Lubbock).  See my website.

Simply terrific photos. Leave it to kids to get this done. Besides, you hooked 'em. at least for a while. I struggled to get the one photo I got with my iPhone, down the eyepiece of course. But all in all, a very satisfying experience, even though %-wise I wasn't as close as you to the event. Know Crosby County well! The only touchdown I ever scored in HS was in Crosbyton. Caught a pass which I never expected the QB to throw my way and somehow stumbled over the goal line, backwards! Only when the cheers went up did I realize I had scored...

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#29 tony873004

tony873004

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 February 2024 - 03:30 AM

Here's a 360 degree video I made of the 2017 eclipse from Oregon. It starts about 5 minutes before totality, when the Sun is roughly 90% covered. There is a HUGE difference between 90% and totality.

This video is pannable. But since it is very wide angle, the view of the Sun/Moon is very small. Instead, pay attention to the ground and notice how rapidly the shadows disappear as totality washes over the fairgrounds. Watch unmuted. The crowd doesn't get too noisy until 99%.

https://www.youtube....h?v=vRQVB5-2j1w

• DeepSky Di, Maximus001 and Wolfwatcher like this

#30 Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Vanguard

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:29 AM

On April 8, 2024 there will be a total solar eclipse visible across North America. For me it’s really great  because the path of totality crosses New York State. Specifically upstate. Living in Brooklyn, New York I am approximately 250 miles from the actual path of totality which runs across Syracuse. They say New York City will have close to 90% of the sun that will be blocked. Syracuse is approximately a four hour drive. I have two choices here. Stay in the New York City area and see near 90% blocked out or take the four drive and see a very rare occurrence of a total eclipse.

Does anyone on this group ever experience 90% of the sun blocked and if so how dark will it get. The main thing it has to be a near sunny day especially at the start of the eclipse.

I will be in Plattsburgh NY for this event. I have started practicing, being new to Astrophotography I have a lot to learn, quickly.

VormBeAh.jpg

9SQ5U5vh.jpg

2jmyDYbh.png

• jrussell and Wolfwatcher like this

#31 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:08 PM

^^^Nice rig.  Good luck.^^^

• Victory Pete likes this

#32 astrohamp

astrohamp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts, Vermont way up north sometimes

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:33 PM

Plattsburgh, NY Victory Pete...You and a number of folks hoping the predictors are on the favorable side for the day.

• Wolfwatcher likes this

#33 Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:08 AM

Plattsburgh, NY Victory Pete...You and a number of folks hoping the predictors are on the favorable side for the day.

Interesting graph, apparently, I should head to Texas.

#34 mikepier

mikepier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:26 AM

Interesting graph, apparently, I should head to Texas.

If you notice, Rochester is slightly better on the graph. That is where I plan to go.

But of course it depends on the weather forecasts. I could still go to Buffalo, Watertown, or Plattsburgh

#35 Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2024 - 07:33 AM

If you notice, Rochester is slightly better on the graph. That is where I plan to go.

But of course it depends on the weather forecasts. I could still go to Buffalo, Watertown, or Plattsburgh

I have a travel trailer, so I can be a Nomad if need be.

Edited by Victory Pete, 17 February 2024 - 07:33 AM.

#36 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Earth, near dead center of NY on a finger lake

Posted 17 February 2024 - 08:12 AM

the wife and I went scouting yestrday for a site along the path here in NY, from Buf to watertown NY.
and looking at the past weather conditions for that week going bacck 20 yrs we found a spot within a MILE of Nine mile Nuke plant at a small park in Scriba NY right onthe shore of Lake Ontario.
we will only have an hours drive for the event, and 3 min 40 seconds or thereabout of totality we are looking to get the most without a crowd, or distractions.
I will add I am taking my good friend Tony who is a spry 90 yrs old and avid astronomer, he wants to witness as well the last of his lifetime ( and probably mine) event.

after making a few phone calls around we have now 10 more joining us . I have my refractor set up for solar, Tony with his Corona scope, a few pairs of solar glasses,
a solar sheild, and a couple home built solar viewers (box projectors) for kids/adults who may join in as well.

this will be an exciting event, even if it clouds up that day, we will make the most of it.

#37 astrohamp

astrohamp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts, Vermont way up north sometimes

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:38 AM

One place I checked out last summer in northern Vermont had me attempting to give the manager heads up on the event.  On the line, with overnight guest suites and vacation cabins, indoor dining, 3+ season outdoor bar and more dining, huge open field. She remarked at my "you know you are on the solar eclipse line" saying we're already fully booked. 

Also VP, if you are driving up the day the Grand Isle to Plattsburgh ferry may be on overload so going up 87 in NY may be a better option.

#38 Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:48 AM

the wife and I went scouting yestrday for a site along the path here in NY, from Buf to watertown NY.
and looking at the past weather conditions for that week going bacck 20 yrs we found a spot within a MILE of Nine mile Nuke plant at a small park in Scriba NY right onthe shore of Lake Ontario.
we will only have an hours drive for the event, and 3 min 40 seconds or thereabout of totality we are looking to get the most without a crowd, or distractions.
I will add I am taking my good friend Tony who is a spry 90 yrs old and avid astronomer, he wants to witness as well the last of his lifetime ( and probably mine) event.

after making a few phone calls around we have now 10 more joining us . I have my refractor set up for solar, Tony with his Corona scope, a few pairs of solar glasses,
a solar sheild, and a couple home built solar viewers (box projectors) for kids/adults who may join in as well.

this will be an exciting event, even if it clouds up that day, we will make the most of it.

I had originally tried to get a spot in that area with a campground or the BoonDockers App. Not knowing any of the layouts I have decided to go to a business who has given me permission to camp out for 2 nights on their open site. I imagine trying to find a better spot a day beforehand could be challenging.

#39 Victory Pete

Victory Pete

Vanguard

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:53 AM

One place I checked out last summer in northern Vermont had me attempting to give the manager heads up on the event.  On the line, with overnight guest suites and vacation cabins, indoor dining, 3+ season outdoor bar and more dining, huge open field. She remarked at my "you know you are on the solar eclipse line" saying we're already fully booked. 

Also VP, if you are driving up the day the Grand Isle to Plattsburgh ferry may be on overload so going up 87 in NY may be a better option.

What is funny is the business I am going to has another location on the other side of Lake Champlain in Vt that is also dead on center. But to get to either one of them I have to take a very different route. I saw the ferry and it isn't really on my route as an option.

#40 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Earth, near dead center of NY on a finger lake

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:02 AM

I had originally tried to get a spot in that area with a campground or the BoonDockers App. Not knowing any of the layouts I have decided to go to a business who has given me permission to camp out for 2 nights on their open site. I imagine trying to find a better spot a day beforehand could be challenging.

My new canned ham trailer i built may be finished by then and the plan was to find a spot in the area and do that , i have one other spot we are going to in a week lakeside campground between buffalo and rochester .the park isnt open , but we were told we cold stay one nite .
Night before to prepare . But this changed when my buddy Tony wanted to go . I could not say no to a 90 yr old friend ..
So trailer will wait .
Much to do before then ..

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics