•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hotels trying to change price on reservations made with deposit

47 replies to this topic

#26 Bryguy

Bryguy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 01 February 2024 - 06:24 AM

I would also leave a review on TripAdvisor and Google reviews. It also can't hurt to file a complaint with their local office of consumer affairs. 

• Bob Campbell and Hotel Price Gouge Victim like this

#27 mikepier

mikepier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 February 2024 - 09:55 AM

Your best bet might be to just stay put in Hot Springs. I just did a quick search of hotels, there are some still available, but  none less than $400/$500 night.  I know it sucks, but you are going to have to make a decision.  Cancel everything, or bite the bullet and ante up to see something amazing  that is probably once in a lifetime that you may never get a chance to see again in your life.

• Bob Campbell, harpo80, CreatorsHand and 1 other like this

#28 astrokeith

astrokeith

Vanguard

• Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 01 February 2024 - 10:04 AM

Actually there is I thought about contacting them about the "eclipse committee" and the price fixing in the town. Not sure if they'd do anything. I'm even doing a FTC complaint! 

In the UK at least, price fixing by collusion is illegal. Is it in the US?

I understand in the US hotels can cancel confirmed reservations at will (not so in the UK) so I suspect you have no redress.

• Hotel Price Gouge Victim likes this

#29 Diana N

Diana N

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 01 February 2024 - 10:48 PM

This is why I opted to splurge and pay for an eclipse tour.  I didn't want to risk a hotel cancellation, or problems getting a rental car.

• Cajundaddy and SporadicGazer like this

#30 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:36 PM

You know it might be less expensive to check airline flights to somewhere within the path of totality based on the weather forecast a few days before.  It might be possible to fly in the morning of the eclipse and fly home later that day.  Avoid the 3 or 4 night minimum stay bull feces.

Barry Simon

• Hotel Price Gouge Victim likes this

#31 Moravianus

Moravianus

Apollo

• Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:48 PM

I've got it all in writing but the hotel doesn't care they cancelled me today.  

I left a HELPFUL note for your review:-)

• Bigred77 and Hotel Price Gouge Victim like this

#32 Moravianus

Moravianus

Apollo

• Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:51 PM

You know it might be less expensive to check airline flights to somewhere within the path of totality based on the weather forecast a few days before.  It might be possible to fly in the morning of the eclipse and fly home later that day.  Avoid the 3 or 4 night minimum stay bull feces.

Barry Simon

Too late for this. No capacity and similar price gouging (like Southwest $550  for return leg San Antonio to Phoenix on Tuesday)

I am looking where to park my SUV&small trailer combo but Texas does not have much of public lands contrary to AZ

• Bob Campbell and Bigred77 like this

#33 Bigred77

Bigred77

Sputnik

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 February 2024 - 09:57 AM

Too late for this. No capacity and similar price gouging (like Southwest $550  for return leg San Antonio to Phoenix on Tuesday)

I am looking where to park my SUV&small trailer combo but Texas does not have much of public lands contrary to AZ

might consider checking us out for a place to park

Link

• Jim Haley likes this

#34 jrussell

jrussell

Messenger

• Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 02 February 2024 - 10:52 AM

At this point most, if not all of the COE and state park campgrounds are fully booked. You can get added to the waiting list for the possibility a camp site will open up at a state park but it's been my experience that the emails for those show up in the middle of the night so it's definitely a case of the early bird.

There are quite a few private property owners opening up a portion of their land for camping but I have no idea what they are charging

Most every town in the path is holding some sort of festival and many of them offer camping so that might be worth checking out.

• Moravianus and Bigred77 like this

#35 harpo80

harpo80

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ham Lake, MN

Posted 02 February 2024 - 12:34 PM

Terrible to hear this is happening.  I double checked our Canyon Lake VRBO reservation and it remains intact at the original rate booked last year.

There are other places on VRBO and AirBnB along the path from central Texas to Arkansas that are available for $120/night or less.  Some are small houses, others apartments, and all look better than a hotel room.  Before canceling the trip entirely I'd look into these a little more.

Best wishes - I wouldn't give up yet.

• Bob Campbell, Diana N, firemachine69 and 1 other like this

#36 TxStars

TxStars

Gemini

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 02 February 2024 - 03:05 PM

I sent info to my local news channel’s investigative reporting contact here in TX..
If more people do this some thing might happen..
For the 2017 eclipse Kentucky had a contact to report price gouging..
This practice gives the states a bad reputation and hurts tourism..

Edited by TxStars, 02 February 2024 - 03:06 PM.

• Ohmless and Bigred77 like this

#37 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:45 PM

The Yellow Diamond Inn cancelled on me so I reported the collusion and price fixing to various agencies. Others should do the same if a hotel tries to force you to pay a higher rate or ruin your trip. I'll see where it gets me.. I'll give updates..

• Diana N and Ohmless like this

#38 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:48 PM

In the UK at least, price fixing by collusion is illegal. Is it in the US?

I understand in the US hotels can cancel confirmed reservations at will (not so in the UK) so I suspect you have no redress.

I've reported them to anyone who'd listen, I'll give updates no one should be subjected to this. 

#39 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:49 PM

Your best bet might be to just stay put in Hot Springs. I just did a quick search of hotels, there are some still available, but  none less than $400/$500 night.  I know it sucks, but you are going to have to make a decision.  Cancel everything, or bite the bullet and ante up to see something amazing  that is probably once in a lifetime that you may never get a chance to see again in your life.

I actually saw the one in Idaho a few years back that's why I'm so bummed about missing this one but thanks for the words of encouragement. 

#40 Diana N

Diana N

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 02 February 2024 - 06:02 PM

I actually saw the one in Idaho a few years back that's why I'm so bummed about missing this one but thanks for the words of encouragement. 

I wouldn't give up yet!  Follow harpo80's suggestion and look for other possible options.  And consider camping or renting an RV, if either of those options would work for you.

#41 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:00 PM

We'll I'll find one thing out..   If I can force a hotel to make me their guest! 

#42 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:09 PM

Your best bet might be to just stay put in Hot Springs. I just did a quick search of hotels, there are some still available, but  none less than $400/$500 night.  I know it sucks, but you are going to have to make a decision.  Cancel everything, or bite the bullet and ante up to see something amazing  that is probably once in a lifetime that you may never get a chance to see again in your life

Yeah I thought about that but I'm the kinda guy who asks for his 60 cents back at the grocery store if he's overcharged. So I can't pay more or (won't) I also worry about what happened to me may happen to others ALL TRAVELERS ARE AT RISK from this happening to them if the lodging folks do it to anyone they want. I'm just the unlucky schmo smart enough to know about the eclipse. The inn were I'm supposed to stay said they didn't know about the eclipse till now...

#43 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:19 PM

wow. And I just researched airbnb's TOS, and they are only obligated to try to find you equivalent lodging if the host cancels within 30days of the start of the reservation.

Bob

Sorry to hear that dam.  I hear ya. Although I wish I would have realized nothings in stone except maybe a campsite.

#44 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to hear that dam.  I hear ya. Although I wish I would have realized nothings in stone except maybe a campsite.

Actually I wonder if the hotels are the same mine started cancelling 60 days out even though my reservation was 5 months old at that point it gives them 30 days to clear everyone out! Makes sense. 

#45 TxStars

TxStars

Gemini

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 02 February 2024 - 08:00 PM

If you booked in Texas then complain here:

https://www.texasatt...umer-protection

Also let the News know here..

And DFW Fox 4 News investigative reports :

https://www.fox4news.com/contact-us

NBC 5 News :

https://www.nbcdfw.com/send-feedback/

KAXN Austin News :

https://www.kxan.com...estigative-tip/

KVUE News:

https://www.kvue.com/contact-us

Edited by TxStars, 02 February 2024 - 08:02 PM.

• Ohmless and Hotel Price Gouge Victim like this

#46 Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Hotel Price Gouge Victim

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2024 - 10:52 PM

If you booked in Texas then complain here:

https://www.texasatt...umer-protection

Also let the News know here..

And DFW Fox 4 News investigative reports :

https://www.fox4news.com/contact-us

NBC 5 News :

https://www.nbcdfw.com/send-feedback/

KAXN Austin News :

https://www.kxan.com...estigative-tip/

KVUE News:

https://www.kvue.com/contact-us

Awesome!

#47 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 03 February 2024 - 01:36 PM

Sadly this is an all-too-common practice.  You could contact the Arkansas state attorney general about fraud/price gouging but it is unlikely it would be resolved prior to the eclipse.

My personal eclipse travel method- 

1. Never book a hotel under totality due to these shady practices which may spoil the event.
2. Find lodging outside of the shadow but 1 hr drive to my chosen observing site with a high probability of clear skies.
3. Choose a public park, lake, grassy area as my observing site with public restrooms and have several alternates incase one will be clouded out on eclipse day.
4. Get up at the crack of dawn, bring gear, shade, and plenty of food water and supplies to the site with the highest chance of clear skies.  Set up and get ready for the show.

For this one we are traveling by RV.  We have TX State Park reservations outside the shadow with 4 possible public viewing sites within a 90 minute drive.  We will observe weather forecasts and make our final choice on eclipse morning and drive to our site.  This game does require some careful planning to avoid getting hosed but no reason for a shady hotel operator to spoil the event.

https://onemileatati...d-reservations/

Edited by Cajundaddy, 03 February 2024 - 01:53 PM.

• Diana N, brionl and jrussell like this

#48 Jim Haley

Jim Haley

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SugarLand, TX

Posted 04 February 2024 - 09:26 AM

https://www.xbarranch.com is where I stayed for the October 2023 eclipse. It is west of the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse path with good access to the BEST cloud forecast areas. BUT I would still be ready to move NorthEast, SouthWest, or just East eclipse day.  I also like this link https://hlumceclipse...eclipse-viewing that goes to a church parking lot / field.  

I have no financial connection to either place.  

Edited by Jim Haley, 04 February 2024 - 09:59 AM.

• Bigred77 likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics