•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron Model 114 - a quick look

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bmwscopeguy

bmwscopeguy

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oak Bay, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 February 2024 - 07:03 AM

If today’s entry level scopes could offer this combination of optical performance and smooth/rigid mounts – the manufacturers wouldn’t be bedeviled by constant negative reviews.

Click here to view the article
  • Jethro7 likes this

#2 skyjim

skyjim

Vanguard

• Loc: North Port, Florida

Posted 01 February 2024 - 08:27 AM

I was 13 years old back in the mid sixties and bought one of these scopes from a local eye glass company back then. I placed a $50 dollar deposit on this scope and every week I would go over and place $10 dollars until I had the $125 price paid in full. This scope came with the prism turret for multiple EP's, a finder, buttery smooth alt/az mount with wooden tripod plus a nice wooden storage box. I will never forget the first light when my older brother and I went out to look at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn for the first time, the views were fantastic and I only wish I never sold that scope. You cannot find the type of quality that scope had today unless you spend way over a thousand and still had plastic today. 

• ach, weis14, cwilson and 4 others like this

#3 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 01 February 2024 - 11:16 AM

I also have become a Unitron fan. I won my 114 in an auction and it was in very good condition.  But, not complete, so I have been adding missing items little by little.  Mine

is also very sharp and has an excellent Airy Disc.  It is amazing to me what a well-made

long-focus doublet can visually achieve.  It is a keeper.

• rojavastars likes this

#4 weis14

weis14

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 01 February 2024 - 12:21 PM

I've long appreciated the craftsmanship that went into these older Unitrons.  I was too late to have one growing up (started in this hobby when I was 11 or 12 in the mid-1990s) but I would have done much better with one of these than the EQ newt that I started with.  

• rojavastars likes this

#5 Lew Chilton

Lew Chilton

Vanguard

• Loc: San Fernando Valley, California

Posted 01 February 2024 - 03:34 PM

I purchased a 1961 Swift model 839 60mm f/13 achromatic refractor several years ago at a Goodwill store and placed it on a Unitron 114 alt-az mount and tripod that I purchased on CN. What a wonderful combination! I consider this Swift at least as good as the 60mm Unitron in optical performance and coupled with the Unitron alt-az mount, it's my favorite go to scope for quickly setting up outside my garage or taking to outreach activities with my astronomy club.  I can carry it outside with one arm! With modern 1.25" oculars, this scope outperforms just about everything in its size class. And all for about $210. 

• John Rogers, Kasmos, Poisonokie and 1 other like this

#6 bmwscopeguy

bmwscopeguy

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oak Bay, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 February 2024 - 04:10 PM

My very first scope was a Tasco 50mm/F15 on a fork ALt-Az mount. My first view was that of what I thought to be just a bright star, but it was Saturn. I was blown away. The image was crystal clear and bright.

My Dad just went out and bought it for me as a Christmas present. Although the AZ mount was a little shaky, the optics were top-notch and I spent many hours noodling away, trying different targets. That scope was what got me hooked into astronomy.

My Dad knew nothing about telescopes and just went out and bought one. I'm glad that happened then, not today. The old Tasco's were likely produced by Nihon Seiko (or one of their Japanese competitors) who also branded for Unitron and University Optics (volcano top orthos I think).  If that happened today, I may have wound up with a Celestron 127EQ or some such.... (shudder)

• dawsonian2000 and rojavastars like this

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 01 February 2024 - 04:59 PM

I have a bunch of Classic 60mm scopes including a circa '57-'58 Unitron 114. While I love the quality of the entire kit (especially the mount), I have other vintage 60mms that are brighter and sharper. It's been said that the objective quality of them varies quite a bit so your experience might vary. I will say, If I didn't have other scopes for comparison I probbly wouldn't be as critical. I do like the kit so much I'm thinking of using another objective in it.

As mentioned the 114 mounts are very nice, so I have a spare that's used with other OTAs all of the time.

Also, Over in the Classics Forum, Unitrons are for the most part very coveted

p.s. depending on the year and model, most of the old Tascos were made by Royal Astro, or Towa.

#8 astronomer10

astronomer10

Lift Off

• Loc: KEIZER, OREGON

Posted 02 February 2024 - 04:54 PM

I was in my teens when I began with a Unitron 102mm  F15 refractor.  Great scope. Today most of mass produced chinese optics are mash potatoes compared to japanese or german optics steaks!!  Chinese cheap toy telescopes with the bad mounts, tripods, eyepieces etc have turned off more kids away from the hobby than i can believe.

• Avgvstvs likes this

#9 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Apollo

• Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 03 February 2024 - 05:39 PM

I think it’s difficult to compare a 60mm scope that ran an inflation adjusted $1,000 to an entry level scope. You could buy an AZ GTi plus an AT 80 ED for that price.

#10 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.E. PA

Posted 04 February 2024 - 09:54 PM

Unitrons were great scopes. I once owned a 4" Uni and it was one of the best scopes I ever owned. I sold it back in the early 80's and I regret that I did that, but I was moving across the country and couldn't take it with me. Later, I bought a 60 mm Polarex, which I believe was made by the Unitron people. It was definitely of similar quality.

#11 astronomer10

astronomer10

Lift Off

• Loc: KEIZER, OREGON

Posted 05 February 2024 - 12:29 PM

In Europe Unitron label was POLAREX, in USA was Unitron.   Same factory.

• Wilsonman likes this

#12 ach

ach

Explorer 1

Posted 06 February 2024 - 04:19 PM

This story is similar to my own experience. I’ve been into astronomy for more than five decades and until a few years ago never owned or even looked through a Unitron. I now have three Unitrons, 60mm model 114, 75 mm model 140 and the 104 mm model 152 telescope. I use modern 1.25” eyepieces and the images are super sharp in all of these scopes. I find that I use the 75 mm the most as it offers reasonable magnification and it’s as quick to set up as the 60 mm. The model 152 is a beautiful scope but it has a lot of mass, and it is a LOT work to set up for 4” of glass.  I recently acquired a used Williams Optics 60 mm apo but was very surprised and disappointed that it was under-corrected by a half wave. It is usable for deep sky and long exposures, but its images of the moon and planets can’t hold a candle to the 60 mm Unitron. The 75 mm model 140 is so easy and quick to set up that I can have peeks at the moon and planets between thunderstorms in the spring and summer. This is something that I’d not risk with any scope that can’t be moved quickly. Unitrons are great scopes. 

#13 SpitzA3P

SpitzA3P

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA

Posted 24 February 2024 - 04:58 PM

I had a lot of fun with my Tasco 2.5 inch refractor on an equatorial mount.  The eyepieces were horrible, so I bought some good ones, and I never used the "Sun Filter" which screwed into the eyepiece - too risky !  It also came with long bendable controls for both axes, and a platten for observing the sun by an image on said platten.

However, I missed out on a lot of deep sky objects by not having something like the Criterion  6 or 8 inch Newtonian, or a larger refractor. I did not have enough Moolah back then! .  ONce, I spent 45 minutes trying to find the Ring Nebula and finally convinced myself it was there (Bortle 4 skies in 1975, in a  Connecticut park)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics