•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reviving an old Meade 10" SCT LX5

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 StarryEyedSwede

StarryEyedSwede

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 03 March 2024 - 04:20 PM

Redid the measurements as accurately as I could. This is my current best estimate. "Up" is determined by the white paint marker when looking from the front of the scope, "Left/Right/Down" follows

1. The primary is slightly tilted so the optical axis passes 1.6 mm below the center of the OTA as determined from the screw holes.
  2. The corrector is as far as I could tell completely circular and the secondary is located 0.8 mm to the right and 0.3 mm upwards from the center of the corrector

This means that if I can shift the corrector 0.8 mm to the left and 1.6 mm downwards from the center of the OTA (as determined by the screw holes) then the secondary should be perfectly centered on the optical axis.

I think this is doable but I need to switch out the two existing cork shims and my makeshift replacement for something that removes the current slack and also has the right thicknesses so that the corrector is shifted the right amount. What is the recommended material? Cork? I could cut out three pieces from a wine cork or something and glue them in place. Or is there a better way to do this?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics