•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eclipse Orchestrator Shutter Control for Canon - Clueless question

17 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Dance

Daniel Dance

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern United States

Posted 06 February 2024 - 12:32 PM

I apologize, i am a complete n00b when it comes to solar eclipses.   I would like to use Eclipse Orchestrator with a Canon 6D DSLR.

My  question is what should I be using for shutter control?

Do i use both a USB and a USB-RS-232 adapter for shutter?

My understanding is a USB sets the exposure settings while the RS-232 signal will trigger the actual shutter release to ensure there is buffering between frames.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Time is ticking - two months away and I want to get a lot of practice so I don't have to worry about this and just watch and enjoy the eclipse while this is running in the background.

Thanks much!

Daniel

#2 banjo1000

banjo1000

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado

Posted 06 February 2024 - 01:39 PM

Daniel,
I have used Canon 6D Mark I and 5D Mark IV for eclipses, albeit with with Solar Eclipse Maestro on a Mac. That doesn’t change anything. You use a USB cable to control your shutter. Some camera originally were controllable by WiFi too, but Canon has been irresponsible about keeping their WiFi and software current.

Depending on your mount, you may be able to control it via RS232 from your laptop if you know how. I just use my Syncscan handle paddle. Don’t forget to set tracking from sidereal to solar!

I use older Macs for my eclipse photography to maintain compatibility with SEM. There's a good aftermarket for used Older Macs.

We were all noobs once!
Joe

#3 CreatorsHand

CreatorsHand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Marquette, Michigan

Posted 06 February 2024 - 02:15 PM

I apologize, i am a complete n00b when it comes to solar eclipses.   I would like to use Eclipse Orchestrator with a Canon 6D DSLR.

My  question is what should I be using for shutter control?

Do i use both a USB and a USB-RS-232 adapter for shutter?

My understanding is a USB sets the exposure settings while the RS-232 signal will trigger the actual shutter release to ensure there is buffering between frames.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Time is ticking - two months away and I want to get a lot of practice so I don't have to worry about this and just watch and enjoy the eclipse while this is running in the background.

Thanks much!

Daniel

Daniel,

It will work perfectly fine with just a USB cable, but according to the documentation from Eclipse Orchestrator, you will be limited in how often you can trigger the shutter, as well as how much lag there is between the command and the shutter actuating. Adding a Serial shutter cable, specially designed for your camera (which typically requires a USB to Serial adapter, since laptops computers typically don't have a Serial port anymore) will allow Eclipse Orchestrator to send the shutter signals through the Serial shutter cable (which connects just like a remote switch) while the rest of the commands are sent through the USB cable, which connects to the USB connection on your camera. This allows a much faster shutter response. You can use just a USB cable, which has limitations, or a combination of a USB cable and a Serial shutter cable, but not just a Serial shutter cable without a USB cable. I believe that you also need the Pro version of Eclipse Orchestrator to use the Serial shutter cable.

Paul

#4 KevinMerchant

KevinMerchant

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2024 - 02:18 PM

Hi Daniel,

With Eclipse Orchestrator, there are two approaches - 1) the USB connection to the camera where all exposure setting AND shutter release commands are sent or 2) the USB connection to the camera for all exposure setting commands sent to the camera AND a second USB connection (from the computer) to one of the recommended serial port shutter cables which connects to the shutter release port on the camera. Of course, to use the serial port shutter cable with EO, you will need to purchase the Pro version.

The approach above also applies to Solar Eclipse Maestro.

With the serial port shutter cable, EO does not need to send shutter release commands via the camera USB. This saves considerable time in executing exposures. This is how I am controlling both an R5 and R7 (Shoestring Astronomy cables).

If you don't have the serial port shutter cable yet, that is a priority to get on order.

I hope that helps.

Kevin

• CreatorsHand likes this

#5 phemmert

phemmert

Sputnik

• Loc: Marana, AZ

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:03 PM

I have a Canon Rebel T6i that will not talk to Eclipse Orchestrator (Pro) via the serial port connection to the shutter connection on the camera. All works fine (including shutter) with straight USB from the laptop to the USB on the camera. The serial port is on COM 4, latest driver, and set up accordingly in EO settings. I've tried all the different combinations of settings in EO, to no avail. I have the camera autofocus set to manual as well. Short of reaching out to the EO developer, thought I would see if anyone here has any experience or wise words. 

#6 Daniel Dance

Daniel Dance

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern United States

Posted 02 March 2024 - 05:44 PM

I have a Canon Rebel T6i that will not talk to Eclipse Orchestrator (Pro) via the serial port connection to the shutter connection on the camera. All works fine (including shutter) with straight USB from the laptop to the USB on the camera. The serial port is on COM 4, latest driver, and set up accordingly in EO settings. I've tried all the different combinations of settings in EO, to no avail. I have the camera autofocus set to manual as well. Short of reaching out to the EO developer, thought I would see if anyone here has any experience or wise words. 

If you have the Canon control software running at the same time, it will not work. Make sure to TURN OFF the Canon control sofware - whatever they call that.

#7 KevinMerchant

KevinMerchant

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2024 - 06:24 PM

If I understand your configuration correctly, you have both cables connected to the camera, together? The serial shutter cable doesn't really communicate with the camera; it only actuates the shutter release. What Shutter press time is set in the Shutter Cable Configuration dialog box? If the cable is recognized by your system and the EO configuration is correct, you should be able to go into Camera >> Push Shutter >> Your camera and take a single shot.

• CreatorsHand likes this

#8 Bruce Morrell

Bruce Morrell

Vendor - Astrofactors

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Celina Texas

Posted 21 March 2024 - 02:24 PM

Gentlemen.

I am completely clueless; I am unable to get orchestrator to see my Canon T7I.  The Device manager shows a portable device attached as the Canon T7I but orchestrator does not.  I have installed the EOS utility software which seems to work when attaching the camera.  I am lost??

#9 KevinMerchant

KevinMerchant

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2024 - 02:49 PM

Gentlemen.

I am completely clueless; I am unable to get orchestrator to see my Canon T7I.  The Device manager shows a portable device attached as the Canon T7I but orchestrator does not.  I have installed the EOS utility software which seems to work when attaching the camera.  I am lost??

You mention EOS Utility being installed. If you have that running while you are running Eclipse Orchestrator, they conflict. You first need to close EOS Utility before opening EO. EOS Utility runs in the background by default. You will have to find it and close it (depends on which Windows you are running as to where it is found).

#10 chvvkumar

chvvkumar

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:26 PM

Gentlemen.

With both my 60D and the 6D MKII on both of my Mini PCs I did not ever install EOS utilities. And in both cases EO works just fine with both USB and the serial shutter release cables connected.

#11 edwyun

edwyun

Explorer 1

• Loc: NY/NJ

Posted 21 March 2024 - 09:06 PM

With both my 60D and the 6D MKII on both of my Mini PCs I did not ever install EOS utilities. And in both cases EO works just fine with both USB and the serial shutter release cables connected.

Ditto for my 5DIII.  Never needed the EOS utility app.

#12 KevinMerchant

KevinMerchant

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 March 2024 - 09:35 PM

Ditto for my 5DIII.  Never needed the EOS utility app.

Just to add one more comment here, because it is confusing. I believe it depends on the version of Windows that you are using as to whether you need EOS Utility or not. In the long distant past, Windows did not have a built-in driver and thus EOS Utility was needed in order to get the driver. I can't say when this changed, but that seems to be the case.

Edited by KevinMerchant, 21 March 2024 - 09:53 PM.

• edwyun and chvvkumar like this

#13 chvvkumar

chvvkumar

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 21 March 2024 - 09:50 PM

Just to add one more comment here. I believe it depends on the version of Windows that you are using as to whether you need EOS Utility or not. In the long distant past, Windows did not have a built-in driver and thus EOS Utility was needed in order to get the driver. I can't say when this changed, but that seems to be the case.

Very good point. I do remember needing EOS Utility a long time ago (back in windows 7 days, I think?). But I am running Windows 11 now.

#14 Bruce Morrell

Bruce Morrell

Vendor - Astrofactors

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Celina Texas

Posted 23 March 2024 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the responses.  I was able to get it to work on Windows 10 with the EOS Utility installed.  I tried it on the Windows 11 with and without the utility.  I cant get it to work yet.  Eclipse orchestrator hangs up on me and won't enable me to modify its configuration.  I have more work to do.... Bruce

#15 althor74

althor74

Lift Off

Posted 26 March 2024 - 12:55 AM

I have a serial usb to shutter release cable, it works that I can fire the shutter on my Canon T5/1200D via the computer. However I can't use both the shutter release cable and USB at the same time. When I plug in the USB I can connect to the computer, but once I plug in the shutter release cable the USB disconnects. It seems like it's maybe hardware or setting problem with my T5, I went through all the settings on the menu and couldn't find anything that says "use both shutter release and USB at the same time" or similar. Is this a common problem, is there a workaround, am I doing something wrong?

#16 astroneer3141

astroneer3141

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 March 2024 - 03:42 AM

EO works smoothly on my windows 10 laptop and PC. With windows 11, it was giving me trouble and for that reason I wiped my laptop and put windows 10 on it and since then it has been very smooth.

What I would do in this case is: remove USB cable and shutter cable from the laptop, turn on camera, plug in both USB and shutter into the laptop. THEN launch EO. This has always worked for me on Windows 10.

#17 althor74

althor74

Lift Off

Posted 26 March 2024 - 07:51 AM

I found and was reading this old post from 2017 where the OP was having the same problem as me. It sounds like he was using a serial cable from Amazon like me (here's the one I'm using https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GFJ42QB). And when he tried to connect both the serial shutter release cable and the USB then the computer stopped recognizing the camera was connected via USB. He bought a cable from Hap Griffin and that seemed to work. I'm not sure if they're selling cables still. I'm wondering if there's a setting for the camera or cable that needs to be different. Anyone have similar experiences to me and come up with any other way to get it to work?

https://www.cloudyni...ing-my-evening/

#18 martinr

martinr

Sputnik

• Loc: Salt Lake City UT

Posted 27 March 2024 - 02:39 PM

Hi Bruce - I have a T5i set up on a Win 11 machine with EO and the EOS utility. The initial setup with EO did not see the camera - and also I noticed a comment from a talk from the software originator that sometimes it can take EO a while to see the camera - particularly if your camera card has a ton of images on it. Use a clean card, esp on eclipse day. I had to fiddle wit the Hardware settings to finally get the T5i showing up in the pulldown menu - but it did eventually (some worrying 20 mins of fiddling with it.

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics