•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shoutout to Dave Trott...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 tocster

tocster

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 February 2024 - 03:35 AM

Quick shoutout to Dave Trott - just want to say thanks for your youtube channel.   Keep doing videos!

• bob midiri, deSitter, albert1 and 21 others like this

#2 Ian King

Ian King

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 08 February 2024 - 04:26 AM

Agreed, its a great service to us classic fans.
  • Dave Trott, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#3 mikeDnight

mikeDnight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lancashire, North West England

Posted 08 February 2024 - 07:57 AM

Dave's a lifesaver! While my wife watches the mindless garbage on TV, I will often watch Dave's U-Tube video's, and never tire of them. He has a wonderful relaxed and knowledgeable delivery, but still full of child-like enthusiasm. His heart felt love for the instruments he shows and talks about is obvious, and admirable. Keep-em coming Dave! And if you ever find you've got too many classic masterpieces lying around, feel free to ship-em over the pond to me!! smile.png

Edited by mikeDnight, 08 February 2024 - 08:00 AM.

• Dave Trott, Exnihilo, Ducky62 and 6 others like this

#4 PawPaw

PawPaw

Apollo

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 08 February 2024 - 08:04 AM

Dave's videos are a treasure and I find myself going back for reference.  Pictures just can't relay the same information and Dave has mastered the craft.  

• Bomber Bob and tocster like this

#5 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 08 February 2024 - 02:04 PM

Dave  is amazing

• rolo and Dave Trott like this

#6 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

• Loc: High and Dry

Posted 08 February 2024 - 02:30 PM

Check out his half-scale Questar.  :)

• Dave Trott and ErnH2O like this

#7 Piggyback

Piggyback

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Germany

Posted 08 February 2024 - 02:43 PM

Dave's videos are an open book library of the wonderful world of classic telescopes. Ever since I was drawn to CN for gaining knowledge, Dave was a candle in the darkness to me. His videos explain the specifics of a particular instrument like words can not and Dave is a master of the art! Thanks and keep up the good work!

• Dave Trott likes this

#8 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Soyuz

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:08 AM

Let's land the plane... Here's the link!

https://m.youtube.co...XKXqRkbg/videos
  • Dave Trott, Defenderslideguitar, NinePlanets and 1 other like this

#9 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:48 AM

Dave’s the best! And I got his Tak FC76 to prove it! ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9078.jpeg

• rolo, Exnihilo, rcwolpert and 5 others like this

#10 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:38 AM

I didn't realize there were so many! AWESOME!

It's interesting though, that there are so few about his own creations. I've seen some of his scopes at RMSS and other venues in years past, but still, this is an awesome resource! Thank you, Dave!

• Dave Trott likes this

#11 Kitfox

Kitfox

Vanguard

• Loc: North Carolina, USA

Posted 09 February 2024 - 11:04 AM

Thank you for that link.  It is passion like his that we all need a taste of on occasion!  The kind of love he has for the hobby, as well as his extensive knowledge of the equipment, is a contagion that will infect many who watch his vids.  I know after watching a few, I had to just go out to the garage and hug my Pentax 75SDHF.  It's always ready to go on its MS-3n mount-my grab and go, just like in the Hoshino astrophotography video!

• Dave Trott, Exnihilo and Defenderslideguitar like this

#12 Steve Allison

Steve Allison

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Olympia, Wash. 98502

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:07 PM

Dave’s videos got me all excited about classic telescopes and I ended up purchasing three of Dave’s featured telescopes, including his spectacular 4 inch, f/15 Tinsley refractor. Everything Dave described in his video was spot on, including his assessment of the Tinsley’s optical quality. I continue to marvel at Dave’s experience and expertise!

The Tinsley had three very long and somewhat spindly tripod legs, which scared my young grandchildren! It was as wonderful to look at as it was to look through!

I ended up selling this splendid classic achromat because physical problems limited my use of it. I sincerely wish now that I had kept it, even if only to admire it all set up in my family room!

Thanks, Dave, for making our wonderful hobby even more fulfilling and fun- and for giving me the opportunity to purchase a truly glorious classic telescope!

Edited by Steve Allison, 09 February 2024 - 07:08 PM.

• Dave Trott, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 1 other like this

#13 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:12 PM

Yes, the videos are wonderfully educational. My Pentax 85 came from him (Indirectly, but through another Dave. So maybe that doesn't count?). It still has the spreader chain and the paint can cap replacement for the polar axis cover. 

Chip W. 

• Dave Trott likes this

#14 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:13 PM

I just watched the video for the C5. I really like the comparison to all the Maks and the other SCTs.  Very nice!

Edited by Exnihilo, 09 February 2024 - 08:14 PM.

• Dave Trott likes this

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Skylab

• Loc: Sol 3

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:46 PM

Love the resource videos and classy competence.

Got my Mayflower 814 from Dave 

One of the oldest of his Videos, the time lapse assembly of the Unitron 160 is great

Best  63 seconds on a Friday night   Try it

https://www.youtube....h?v=izGbmA_73jc

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 09 February 2024 - 08:54 PM.

• rolo, Dave Trott, Exnihilo and 1 other like this

#16 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:00 PM

I am SO glad I don't have to set up a Unitron 160 whenever I want to take a peek at Mars.  :)

#17 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:56 PM

Wow! Thanks to you, tocster and all the rest for your very generous remarks. I am humbled and gratified that my online friends enjoy my videos. I have every intention to keep them coming. Several are in the works right now.

Let me ask you all a question. Where do you think I get my information? When I am doing research on a telescope, many of my facts and even opinions come from you folks here on Cloudy Nights. Much of my work is simply digging it up and repackaging it into a video format. Thanks to all of your for your many contributions!

I think we all owe a great deal to the folks that keep the lights on here, Astronomics, as well as the dedicated Mods who seem to be completely tireless in their efforts. CN is such a wonderful and rich resource! This forum means so much to me that I buy from Astronomics when I can and I donate periodically. I am not trying to be a pitch man, but please click the little

Donate.jpg

button on the top right and help keep Cloudy Nights going. (I am not affiliated with Astronomics in any way)

Thanks Again!!

- Dave

Edited by Dave Trott, 10 February 2024 - 11:42 AM.

• deSitter, albert1, John Rogers and 15 others like this

#18 photiost

photiost

Soyuz

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 10 February 2024 - 08:33 AM

A+   Dave !!

• Dave Trott likes this

#19 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

Posted 10 February 2024 - 11:38 AM

Here’s an index to most of the videos on my Classic Telescopes Youtube channel organized by telescope brand or type:

https://davetrott.co...outube-channel/

This makes it a bit easier to find things, especially when it comes to Satellite Scopes

Edited by Dave Trott, 10 February 2024 - 11:38 AM.

• photiost, Terra Nova, mikeDnight and 4 others like this

#20 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 February 2024 - 04:49 PM

Dave made a lovely half-scale of the Porter Garden Telescope too. Something to see!

I've considered myself a telescope maker for a long time, but I'm a piker. Dave is an ARTIST!  :)

• Dave Trott likes this

#21 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 10 February 2024 - 05:09 PM

Here’s an index to most of the videos on my Classic Telescopes Youtube channel organized by telescope brand or type:

https://davetrott.co...outube-channel/

This makes it a bit easier to find things, especially when it comes to Satellite Scopes

Not gonna lie, when I went to that site and saw "Alvan Clark 20" I got excited, but I was a bit surprised by the scale lol.gif 

Excellent craftsmanship.  Those replicas are a treat.

Edited by mpsteidle, 10 February 2024 - 05:10 PM.

• Dave Trott likes this

#22 grif 678

grif 678

Gemini

• Loc: NC

Posted 10 February 2024 - 08:48 PM

Dave is marvelous, and he tells us what we need to know, He has saved me money, because when I see a scope that I may want, but do not know anything about it, I will google Dave, and more than likely he has done a video on it. Most of the time, his expertise has let me know that I need to leave that scope or mount alone. Thanks Dave

#23 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 11 February 2024 - 12:44 PM

Wow! Thanks to you, tocster and all the rest for your very generous remarks. I am humbled and gratified that my online friends enjoy my videos. I have every intention to keep them coming. Several are in the works right now.

Let me ask you all a question. Where do you think I get my information? When I am doing research on a telescope, many of my facts and even opinions come from you folks here on Cloudy Nights. Much of my work is simply digging it up and repackaging it into a video format. Thanks to all of your for your many contributions!

I think we all owe a great deal to the folks that keep the lights on here, Astronomics, as well as the dedicated Mods who seem to be completely tireless in their efforts. CN is such a wonderful and rich resource! This forum means so much to me that I buy from Astronomics when I can and I donate periodically. I am not trying to be a pitch man, but please click the little

attachicon.gif Donate.jpg

button on the top right and help keep Cloudy Nights going. (I am not affiliated with Astronomics in any way)

Thanks Again!!

- Dave

I would like to hear about your adventures at the U of Denver. I used to live pretty much across the street from Chamberlain Observatory. Went inside once, never got to look through the scope.

You are a star!

-drl

#24 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2024 - 01:04 PM

Dave is marvelous, and he tells us what we need to know, He has saved me money, because when I see a scope that I may want, but do not know anything about it, I will google Dave, and more than likely he has done a video on it. Most of the time, his expertise has let me know that I need to leave that scope or mount alone. Thanks Dave

You are most welcome! I hope some of my videos also encouraged you to try one. laugh.gif

#25 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

Posted 11 February 2024 - 01:07 PM

I would like to hear about your adventures at the U of Denver. I used to live pretty much across the street from Chamberlain Observatory. Went inside once, never got to look through the scope.

You are a star!

-drl

Too bad you never got a look through the Alvan Clark 20 inch, drl. It is a beautiful and charming instrument, though in my many years of using the scope it seldom overcame the atrocious seeing conditions in Denver. When it did, though, the views were a treat!

• deSitter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics