•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shoutout to Dave Trott...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 NinePlanets

NinePlanets

Surveyor 1

• Loc: High and Dry

Posted 11 February 2024 - 03:54 PM

I played with the 20" a couple of times around 1980 or so, plus or minus. There was an old boy (can not remember his name!) who ran the public nights and invited me down to hang around afterward a time or two. Pretty sure he had me down one night midweek without the public. I don't remember much about the views, but a field full of M13 is burned into the back of my skull.

I remember what it feels like to move that 4-ton scope around by hand - a big tug to get it moving and a big tug to get it to stop - an absolutely wonderful sensation! The mount weighs 67 tons and the pier 130 tons, as I recall. The old boy took me under the floor to see the base of the pier. I don't remember a lot but I do remember some stacks of red sandstone and a monstrous wrench for leveling.

BTW, with the seeing conditions in the area what they are, views of the planets were typically much better with smaller amateur telescopes set up outside. I think the DAS used to have star parties there at one time. I went to a couple of those, but the drive into Denver didn't make it worth while for me.

Yes. That 20" is a lovely icon of a day long gone.

• Dave Trott and jcruse64 like this

#27 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 11 February 2024 - 10:17 PM

Dave is...  a Gentleman, Scholar, Educator, Goodwill Ambassador, Outreach Leader, New Media Guru, Highly Reliable Resource, Artist in both Glass & Metal...

... and, I think he has a passing interest in Astronomy!   Ya da best, Dave -- Keep On Keepin' On!!

Down South, I'd say to The Boys:  That Dave is a Good Grit!  [Uh, as this is a Family Channel, I had to use GRIT for that other word.  And, No!  Yankees!  That phrase is not an insult, it's a strong compliment.  Doesn't make sense, but y'all should know by now we crazee.]

• rolo, Dave Trott, Exnihilo and 4 others like this

#28 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:34 AM

You forgot Entertainer! 

waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif  for Dave 

Edited by Kasmos, 12 February 2024 - 03:35 AM.

• deSitter, rolo, Dave Trott and 3 others like this

#29 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 February 2024 - 02:06 PM

Thanks to all for your very kind words!! Your positive feedback will keep me making more videos! smile.gif

• deSitter, mdowns, Exnihilo and 8 others like this

#30 M_athias

M_athias

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 21 February 2024 - 03:42 AM

Dave's channel is great and it's a pleasure to watch him present the telescopes. I look forward to every new video!

Thank You very much!

Dave - keep up this outstanding work bow.gif

• Dave Trott, Bomber Bob and ErnH2O like this

#31 Biosuth

Biosuth

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 April 2024 - 06:16 PM

YES thanks Dave for the info you have made available. Some time back really found your U tube video of great help when doing some repairs on my Unitron gravity drive. With your help I was soon up and running.

Appreciate what you do!!

• Dave Trott and Bomber Bob like this

#32 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 20 April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Hats off to Dave for his dedication, effort and time for his over 200 videos. Its a shame they don't have millions of views.

Thank you sir  bow.gif

• Dave Trott and Terra Nova like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics