•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do your homework first

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 11 February 2024 - 06:32 PM

I’ve got a nice collection of space rocks and really enjoy following this forum.
There are some very knowledgeable people here that share there experiences and knowledge.
Seems like some posters don’t do there homework on stones they just find laying around or buy from a dealer that my not be a trusted meteorite dealer.

Lots of meteorite and meteorwrong info pinned right here to compare your find too and get an idea if it’s rite or wrong.

Do your homework first and if you get a couple positive results then post pics and information you’ve determined that may point to a meteorite.

I know it’s probably not my place to even bring this up, but come on let’s keep this forum interesting.

I encourage collectors to post pics of there finest pieces 

This is a “rite” it’s a 10 lb Campo

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8149.jpeg

• Paul Hyndman, scottinash, Jim Waters and 5 others like this

#2 caglsmith

caglsmith

Sputnik

• Loc: Akron, Ohio

Posted 11 February 2024 - 07:57 PM

Excellent specimen,  and a nice collection of points in the background!  Check out the flint ridge knap-in if you're interested in making your own (Coshocton fairgrounds, central Ohio). 

#3 scottinash

scottinash

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 11 February 2024 - 09:27 PM

Thanks for sharing your very nice Campo.

#4 leonardovaller

leonardovaller

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mexico

Posted 11 February 2024 - 09:36 PM

I go for dealers all the time.

Where I live it is practically impossible to find a meteorite so my options were to wait forever until I find one by pure chance, or get one on the market.

These are my main samples of stony, iron and stony/iron categories:

* Hah 346

* Campo del Cielo

* Sericho

IMG_20231228_185243.jpg

And these are my chondrites (L, LL, H, CV3, Enstatite, Rumuruti)

IMG_20240204_190100.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, scottinash, lee14 and 1 other like this

#5 lee14

lee14

Vanguard

• Loc: CNY

Posted 12 February 2024 - 05:19 AM

Seems like some posters don’t do there homework on stones they just find laying around or buy from a dealer that my not be a trusted meteorite dealer.

Lots of meteorite and meteorwrong info pinned right here to compare your find too and get an idea if it’s rite or wrong.

Do your homework first and if you get a couple positive results then post pics and information you’ve determined that may point to a meteorite.

Well said. There's a reason the Scientific Method, Occam's Razor, and statistical analysis for determining significance (p) are valuable. Posting repeated images of terrestrial stones or artifacts short circuits the scientific method by jumping from step one to step five. Not a very reliable procedure for making determinations.

Lee

• scottinash, moefuzz and Teemu Ohman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics