•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a ASI2600MC Pro for Eclipse Imaging

7 replies to this topic

#1 Whalensdad

Whalensdad

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CT

Posted 11 February 2024 - 06:50 PM

I've never had the opportunity to witness a full solar eclipse. My only experience with solar imaging were single shots using a C9.25 during 2017 outside of totality, and images of a Mercury transit from a C8 in the early 2000s. This year I'm taking my AT72EDII and 2600MC Pro to capture the experience somewhere along the path of totality, even if it means I have to sleep in my car in a rest stop. I see a lot on using a DSLR, but not so much about using a CMOS camera. I have a solar film filter and will be using my SW SA GTI for tracking. The more I have read through this forum I am realizing I have waited to long to prepare. So here are my questions:

1. How do I determine the correct gain and shutter speed for each part of the eclipse?

2. Should I just plan on doing single images at set times (based on Solar Eclipse Timer) or should I learn how to use Sharpcap and program it to run unattended?

This is what I'd like to accomplish with my images in order of importance

1. Good shot of the Corona

2. Diamond Rings

3. Images every 5 min or so during the eclipse (I will be setting up a DSLR on a non-tracking tripod to capture the whole event)

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

#2 R Botero

R Botero

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:45 AM

Read the messages I have posted in other threads in this forum.  I will be using an ASI2600MC - which is one of my DSO cameras - for the eclipse.  There's a thread dedicated to using SharpCap as well.

As for your questions, may I suggest:

1- Zero gain.  You want the largest dynamic range possible and capture in 16-bit

1b - Capture bracketed exposures.  Go from 1/8000s to 1 to 2 seconds.  Again read other threads.  Exposures will depend on your scope, camera and computer speed.

2 - As per 1b and use SER videos if using SharpCap.  Capture as many frames as possible with different exposure settings.

Roberto

#3 Whalensdad

Whalensdad

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern CT

Posted 12 February 2024 - 06:04 PM

Read the messages I have posted in other threads in this forum.  I will be using an ASI2600MC - which is one of my DSO cameras - for the eclipse.  There's a thread dedicated to using SharpCap as well.

As for your questions, may I suggest:

1- Zero gain.  You want the largest dynamic range possible and capture in 16-bit

1b - Capture bracketed exposures.  Go from 1/8000s to 1 to 2 seconds.  Again read other threads.  Exposures will depend on your scope, camera and computer speed.

2 - As per 1b and use SER videos if using SharpCap.  Capture as many frames as possible with different exposure settings.

Roberto

Thanks Roberto - I've seen your posts. Can you point me to the SharpCap thread? I haven't been able to find it. I'm guessing it will tell me how to do bracketing and capturing.

#4 R Botero

R Botero

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 13 February 2024 - 06:33 AM

See here: https://www.cloudyni...lipse-sequence/

#5 glancey

glancey

Messenger

• Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:44 PM

I plan on using my ASI2600 MC for the eclipse, but I don't use Sharpcap since it only runs on Windows. I have a MacBook. Does anyone know of any sequencing software that will work on Macs? Software I currently use for imaging includes ASIAIR, ASIStudio and Indlib supported apps, such as astroberry and stellarmate.

I also have FireCapture, which runs on the Mac, but I'm not sure it has a sequencing feature.

Any help is appreciated.

#6 jwheel

jwheel

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 14 February 2024 - 12:36 PM

You might try Ekos, which is packaged with KStars:

https://kstars.kde.org/

#7 glancey

glancey

Messenger

• Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:33 PM

You might try Ekos, which is packaged with KStars:

https://kstars.kde.org/

Ekos/Kstars is fine. That's Indlib, and also part of Astroberry and Stellarmate distributions. I believe  Stellarmate has a more capable sequencing function, which will be useful for the eclipse.

#8 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Aurora

• Moderators

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:42 PM

Nico at Nebula Photos posted a video that listed apps for Mac and Windows: https://youtu.be/E0H...Tv-kVu_Vow9hgzW

He also added this site with eclipse software in the notes: https://eclipse.aas....ftware#automate

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics