•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about Losmandy GM8 or 11 Non-Goto

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 balcon3

balcon3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:54 AM

I am thinking about getting a used Losmandy GM8 Non-Goto. One of the ways I like to locate hard-to-find objects with an EQ mount is to find a nearby easy-to-find object that is on the same DEC line, lock the DEC axis, and then pan in RA until I find the desired object. Or the converse with locking the RA axis.  I do this with my manual EQ5. The Losmandy has a slip-clutch mechanism and you don't lock down the axes for tracking. For those of you who have experience with the GM8 or 11, I would like to know if it is in fact possible to lock down one of the axes. Can you pan on one axis without worrying that the other axis will move? One of the reasons I am interested in the GM8 is that it is one of the only GEMs to which one can add Nexus DSC's, which is something I may want to do in the future. But I also want to make sure that it is compatible with my normal methods of manual observation.

#2 ELDavis

ELDavis

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Islamorada, Fl and Keystone, Co

Posted 12 February 2024 - 07:59 AM

I have both  manual G8 and G11 mounts. You can tighten either Dec or Ra clutches so you only move on one axis. I have the Nexium Dsc on my G 11 and highly recommend this for a non goto mount. I priarily use my outfit for AP, and I can almost always center my target using the Nexus.

#3 balcon3

balcon3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:04 AM

Thank you. This is just what I needed to know.

#4 donniesoprano

donniesoprano

Viking 1

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:24 AM

You have to be balanced well for these slip-clutch GEMs.  You can't completely 'lock down' an axis on a Losmandy mount, but you should be able to tighten the clutch on an axis to the point where it won't shift when moving the other axis...at least that's how my G11 works.

Typically I tighten (but not overtighten) both axes and then pan around as needed.  When you get the correct tension and balance, you won't need to overtighten either axis for them to remain steady while panning.  Then when you let go, it just starts tracking.

ds

• doctordub likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics