•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pegasus Falcon Derotator

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HowardK

HowardK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:11 AM

Anyone use the pegasus falcon v2 derotator for imaging on an altaz mount?

I'm told it works by the company using its Unity software but would love some real time actual uses in the field before I purchase 

#2 auroraTDunn

auroraTDunn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North of Boulder, Co.

Posted 12 February 2024 - 10:59 AM

I have one and just as an FYI it will work on any mount so not an issue with and altaz. You can also use it with NINA and I'm assuming many other programs besides Unity.

Two important notes though,

- It will not work with and ASIAir, I do not even connect it to my AA+ power but power it separately.

- It can stick out just as far if not farther then an EFW so make sure you test your setup so you avoid collisions. I learned the hard way during a meridian flip, happily it was my very first meridian flip with my AM5 so was actually outside watching it so was able to prevent damage.

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Cosmos

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:51 AM

The problem might be flat frames, since the camera is continually rotating with the tracking. If your image train is perfectly clean then you have a chance.

#4 HowardK

HowardK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:19 PM

Thanks guys

i have an azeq6 which i use in altaz mode

want to use mallincam for live video views

this derotator should allow me to stack a few 30sec frames cleanly?

#5 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° North

Posted 12 February 2024 - 03:46 PM

Try it without the derotator. EAA imaging techniques (short-exposure, subs stacked) work very well for images taken with 30sec subs. AP techniques use longer exposures, several minutes long in some cases. Sounds like you are much closer to the EAA realm than the AP. Sure, you can use a derotator, but for 30sec subs, it is not needed.

#6 HowardK

HowardK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 04:30 PM

Yes but i want to live stack several 30 sec images

#7 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 5000' ft @ 41° North

Posted 12 February 2024 - 09:27 PM

That is very common in EAA.if you want to stack 30min subs, more than a derotator is required.

What you will find is that live stacking 30sec subs is excellent for adding detail, at some point there will be diminishing returns. Read through the SharpCap documentation; Dr Glover talks about these very issues at length. In short, 30 sec exposure stacking is readily available on even cheaper alt-az mounts. Give it a try. If there are problems, we can address them specifically with actual images and not supposition.

#8 HowardK

HowardK

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:47 AM

Ok

I will come back once i have everything organized 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics