•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

22mm Angel Eyes 1.25" 70 Series Ocular Review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RLK1

RLK1

Soyuz

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2024 - 04:34 PM

I had first light last night with the Angeleyes-labeled 22mm 70 AFOV 1.25" eyepiece, apparently an oberwerk rebrand,  while the rest of you were watching the superbowl and either commiserated or celebrated afterwards.

I'll entitle this mini-review: "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly."

First things first:

Observing conditions: I tried a new site for the first time last night and one that is just a scant 10 miles from my moderately light polluted home. I arrived with my 12" f5 ES dob on Templin Highway with reasonable expectations and not expecting anything akin to the darker skies at Mt Pinos/Lockwood Valley that are presently unavailable due to snow/ice and various road closures at snow gates. And, with snow on the ground, you can get lessor readings on the SQM due to the reflectivity factor.  SQM readings at my home usually vary from the high 18s to the low 19s and my supposition was that the Templin Highway site might be around 19.5 or so. I was pleasantly surprised when multiple readings actually exceeded my expectations and varied between 20.20 and 20.47 depending on the orientation of Jupiter and the winter milky way. Although not great, the dirt turnout on the side of the highway was plenty large enough and graded enough for my purposes. There is a CSC for the location and it was spot-on for transparency and seeing which were very good to excellent for the former and average for the latter.  The CSC lists the spot as a "bortle 4.5 class", if you believe in that sort of thing. The adjacent hillsides are natural wind barriers without obstructing much of the sky.

So, overall, much better than I expected for a light polluted site.

The Worst First: The Ugly:

This eyepiece has the worst amount of chromatic aberration that I have ever seen in my many decades of visual observing. In this regard, in my opinion, it is unrivaled! Unless, for example, Jupiter is essentially on axis for the observation, it quickly degrades into a smeared mass of a rainbow of colors. I've never seen anything like it. And, mind you, I'm using a reflector. I couldn't image using this ocular in an achromatic refractor for planetary observations.

The Bad:  Edge performance, without a paracorr, is poor at the outer 15% or so of the field. My 20mm meade 2" 82 AFOV and 2" ES 24mm 82 AFOV eyepieces have better edge correction and they have more field to correct for in their designs. With a paracorr at F5 , things significantly improve and the eyepiece becomes quite useable for clusters, planetary nebulae and galaxies.

The Good: Besides having a readily accessible field of view, there is ample eye relief and although I don't need eyeglasses, those that do will likely not have a problem using this eyepiece. The eye relief is quite tight in the meade 2" 20mm 82 AFOV and less than optimum for eyeglass wearers with the 2" 24mm ES 82.  Here's where the really eyepiece shines:

Open Clusters: Looking at the double cluster in Perseus, the added 2 mm of magnification over the ES 24mm 2" 82 adds a bit more contrast in a light polluted field while still capturing most of the double cluster. Looking at M46 in Puppis with its superimposed planetary in the foreground, both it and the cluster were well defined despite being viewed through a broadband filter in the light dome of the nearby city of Santa Clarita.

Planetary Nebula: In combination with a high quality Lumicon 2" 0111 filter attached to the paracorr, Thor's Helmet was much better in appearance that I would have thought given the fact that it was within the aforementioned lightdome. Not only could the extensions of the nebulosity be seen but some of the bubbly or flocculant interior and leading faint exterior nebulosity in front of the helmut could also be visualized.. That, and IC 442, a supernova remnant in Gemini, could also be seen relative to general appearance and structure (versus a smudge) and therefore quite satisfying to observe.

Galaxies:  Frankly, I had a blast with this eyepiece on galaxies! Both M81 and M82 were seen in the same field at more or less opposite edges with a bit of space to spare. I found this eyepiece functions quite well with my broadband filter and I ticked off galaxy after galaxy in Leo and Ursa Major from page after page of the "Observer's Guide". For whatever the reason, I had one of the best views I've ever seen on M108 in Ursa Major. That memorable view was, in and of itself, "worth the price of admission", as I like to say when one of those pearls reveals itself. Finally, and as a testament to what a somewhat less light polluted sky can reveal, the well-known  lower contrast/low surface brightness of NGC 891 in Andromeda, although invisible in my 12" at home, readily revealed itself with this eyepiece under these conditions.

Conclusions: Although it has a severe shortcoming relative to planetary viewing, it redeems itself relative to open clusters, planetary nebula and galaxy observing when less than optimum conditions are encountered. I think it was worth the $75.00 bucks I paid for it...

• Battlestamps and MTibb like this

#2 25585

ISS

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:15 PM

I have the 22/70 2" version which is good all round. My 20mm 70 AFOV 1,25" is a Pentax XW. 

#3 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:38 PM

I have the 22/70 2" version which is good all round. My 20mm 70 AFOV 1,25" is a Pentax XW. 

The Astromania / Omegon / Ultima LX 2" 22mm? That is a good one, but I believe different than the Angeleyes type. 

• 25585 likes this

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 February 2024 - 02:17 PM

The Astromania / Omegon / Ultima LX 2" 22mm? That is a good one, but I believe different than the Angeleyes type.

So it seems. I used the Olivon version, and the 22mm was excellent. No noticeable CA and sharp to the edge with a Paracorr in the 12.5" f/5.
So obviously different.
  • 25585 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics