•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATRO TECH 125 REFRACTOR EQ MOUNT

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 telco507

telco507

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Panama City , Panama

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:44 PM

Greetings guys.  Looking for and advice.

I currently have and Orion Sirius EQ G Mount ( 30 pound capacity).

I am interested in a big refractor just for visual. AT 125 looks like an interesting option.

Do you think that mount can handle this frac?.

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

#2 PNW

PNW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Posted 13 February 2024 - 01:59 AM

I have an AR 127 (15 pounds) and run it on an AVX mount rated for 30 pounds with no problem. My guess is the AT 125 will be rock steady on your mount.

#3 Nerd1

Nerd1

Vostok 1

• Loc: East TX

Posted 13 February 2024 - 05:56 AM

I run a TS Optics Photoline 125mm SD Doubet APO on an HEQ5 Pro mount. Which is pretty much the same scope and mount. It does a pretty good job, you'll definitely want to keep those clutches clean and tight. Balance is very important with such a long Refractor, I always take the time to get it perfect. I even use a heavy set of Denkmeier Binoviewers with power switch.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 February 2024 - 07:04 AM

I am interested in a big refractor just for visual. AT 125 looks like an interesting option.

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

It should do ok. My GP was way too small with the wood tripod.

#5 AstroCub

AstroCub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains

Posted 13 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

Hey there

Generally speaking, I usually try and make sure that any mount I am using has at least twice the weight capacity of the refractor that I am using for visual. More if if it's for imaging.

The biggest issue with refrcators is not so much the mass of the OTA but its length, which then gives rise to potential issues due to the inertia of the moment arm.

So, balancing is absolutely critical. Make sure the OTA is loaded with all the items you will be using for visual.

Pay special attention to the DEC balancing, in both axis IE rotate the OTA in DEC 180 degrees. Take your time, close isn't good enough. The balance must be perfect. 

The only divergence from this is in RA whereby some people (like me) make their mounts slightly east side heavy to help nullify backlash. 

Another consideration (for visual) when using a refractor is eyepiece to ground clearance. Unless you want to be laying flat on the floor observing objects above 45 degrees. you may need to think about extending the tripod legs and / or a pier extension. I do both.

The AT125 is a fine refractor. I have one and could not be happier with it. Build quality is exceptional, irrespective of price.

Just bear in mind that you will probably be bitten by the refractor bug and in time want a larger aperture. It happens to the best of us.

With that point in mind - if you do consider another / new mount, get one bigger than you think you will need. This will future proof you for when you get a bigger aperture, and if you may want to do imaging.

Remember - you can't really over mount a refractor but you can defs under mount one.

Best wishes

Siouxsie 

Edited by AstroCub, 13 February 2024 - 08:54 AM.

• ckwastro, dawnpatrol and HorseBadorties like this

#6 ckwastro

ckwastro

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe / N. Scottsdale, AZ (B9 / B5 Skies)

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:14 AM

My 125 EDL rides on a G11 and it’s solid. I really hate vibrations so with the moment arm of the 125, the bigger mount made sense. I’m talking damping times under 1 second. 

I had a GM8 hybrid, which is a 30 lb class mount, but with the HD tripod.  The Mewlon 210 is the same weight as the 125, but has a much shorter moment arm, and still there were too many vibrations with the smaller mount and shorter OTA. Took about 2.5-3 seconds and that was too much for my liking. YMMV.

• Heywood likes this

#7 telco507

telco507

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Panama City , Panama

Posted 13 February 2024 - 11:33 PM

My 125 EDL rides on a G11 and it’s solid. I really hate vibrations so with the moment arm of the 125, the bigger mount made sense. I’m talking damping times under 1 second. 

I had a GM8 hybrid, which is a 30 lb class mount, but with the HD tripod.  The Mewlon 210 is the same weight as the 125, but has a much shorter moment arm, and still there were too many vibrations with the smaller mount and shorter OTA. Took about 2.5-3 seconds and that was too much for my liking. YMMV.

Thanks, very interesting experience. Do you think having the 115 mm model instead of the 125 mm model would be enough, or indeed would be necessary to upgrade the mount?.

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

Edited by telco507, 13 February 2024 - 11:42 PM.

#8 dawnpatrol

dawnpatrol

Vostok 1

• Loc: SEPA

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:42 AM

My 125EDL mostly rides on an Orion AZ EQ-G. It’s a solid platform for the scope visually and I like the ability to switch between alt-az and eq. The Orion is discontinued but the Skywatcher AZ EQ 6 Pro is the same/similar mount currently available. 

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:04 AM

I use a old CI-700.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0843.JPG

#10 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 February 2024 - 07:23 AM

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

For visual only it should work fine.  I run my 6" f/8 achromat on a CG-5 and it handles it quite well for visual.

#11 Spikey131

Spikey131

Skylab

Posted 14 February 2024 - 08:31 AM

The question about mounting is a matter of personal preference, and can be a matter of compromise.  Some folks here on CN seem content with a good deal of wobble, and some tolerate no vibration.  I tend to be in the second camp, but I am willing to accept compromise.

To wit, my 5” refractor sees a lot of sky, day and night.  My preferred setup is an AP 400QMD on a wood tripod.  With this arrangement, the focuser can be adjusted at 300x with little vibration and quick dampening.  Great for double stars and solar system.  But the mount takes a while to set up, including multiple trips with parts.  

But sometimes I prefer a simpler, quicker setup.  Enter the AZ Mount Pro.  It is not as rock solid as the AP 400QMD, but it is acceptable.  I am glad that I do not need to rely on it all the time, but it does a good job for a quicker setup.

Since the OP already has a mount, he should give it a try.  It seems like it will work OK for his purposes.  If not, he could decide to upgrade later.

Attached Thumbnails

• 864B3109-F650-4CF1-B7F6-DA3E51A2554F.jpeg
  • 0A19C299-9A77-424E-B31E-9EB6E6EE6F41.jpeg

#12 ckwastro

ckwastro

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe / N. Scottsdale, AZ (B9 / B5 Skies)

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, very interesting experience. Do you think having the 115 mm model instead of the 125 mm model would be enough, or indeed would be necessary to upgrade the mount?.

GP

15x70 Binocular

8x42 Binocular

6 inch F8 Dob

80 mm ED refractor

It might being 4 lbs lighter and 6” shorter than the 125 EDL. It may be as much as 8” shorter with the dew shield extended. I haven’t measured mine. Keep in mind the 115 is a faster triplet so will be more front-heavy than the 125. Not sure if that will affect anything or not as far as mount vibrations.

Keep in mind I’m one who has little tolerance for vibrations. You may be more forgiving in that area and if so the lighter mount might be fine for you. My best advice is whichever scope you end up buying, try it first on your existing Sirius EQ-G before buying another mount. If it works then you’re dialed in. If it’s too wobbly, then buy the upgraded mount. 

• PNW likes this

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:24 AM

I don’t know that there would be much difference. Isn’t the 125 a doublet and the 115 a triplet? So the 115 will weigh nearly as much and possibly have a greater moment arm due to the weight being concentrated on the lens end of the tube. Realistically it would probably be a tad more stable, but I don’t see it making much difference.

As has been said, your current mount will be “fine” with the 125. As in it will probably have a couple seconds settling time when adjusting the coarse focus at high power. At low power there shouldn’t be much settling time. Perhaps a second or so. The fine focus won’t cause as much vibration, so one can usually tune the focus without settling time being much of an issue. It is really the coarse focus when you swap out your Delos for an XW and need to rack the focus 6mm. Once you get the focus close, wait for the view to settle once, then tweak the fine focus for maximum sharpness.

To make a long story short, most people would find your mount adequate for that refractor, and reasonably portable as well. I would consider it well matched to the scope. The scope is about at the mount’s limit, but I would do it. But I’m also not an over mounter. Some people just don’t like much of any vibration at all.
  • Steve Cox likes this

#14 aa6ww

aa6ww

Gemini

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:39 PM

My friend has a Stellarvue 125mm similar to the AT-125 and its too much weight for his AVx, which also has a 30 pound weight capacity. He has to lower the tripod legs to help stability but its still shakes during focusing. A more robust tripod for the AVx will probably help. With larger refractors, 50 to 60% the mounts capacity is a good rule to go by for an OTA weight.

-   Ralph

• ckwastro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics