•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW AZ GTi for

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 16 February 2024 - 04:48 PM

I've owned the AZGTi mount for a while with many different scopes. But I only bought the head and instead use my own tripods...I experience zero damping. It is totally vibration free.

Either my 2" steel legged tripod with a DIY 2" galvanized pipe pier extension...

C5-back.jpg

Or my lightest tripod...a modded aluminum surveyor's tripod...

C5-Surveyor2.jpg

If I'm at home and viewing from my back yard, I don't use a tripod...

mounted-ETX-1.jpg

• paulsky and Oldfracguy like this

#27 planedriver

planedriver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2024 - 05:51 AM

Hello, 

Can support the SW AZ GTi mount one SW ED80/600 Evostar model? Without vibrations? 

Thanks

Paul

No issues at all even with a bino with two zooms. Just observed the Armstrong-crater from the trio recently with this setup. Andras

Attached Thumbnails

• 2024-02-17_11-48-05.jpg

Edited by planedriver, 17 February 2024 - 05:51 AM.

• paulsky likes this

#28 jkelly

jkelly

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 17 February 2024 - 08:20 AM

I have been using the AZ-GTI since I started 3 years ago.

It is mounted on a SW stainless steel tripod.

The thing I like best is the small size and weight.

I can easily carry it in and out assembled and position it on my 3 ground marks.

Polar alignment and focus with the ASIair is 5 - 10 minutes.

An upgrade is in the future, but it will have to be light like an AM5.

These are not the greatest images but you can look at my gallery using the AT80ED, 533MC and AZ-GTI.

https://www.cloudyni...3-mc-proat80ed/

Edited by jkelly, 17 February 2024 - 09:15 AM.

• paulsky, Bob Campbell and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#29 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:08 AM

I recommend buying just the mount head and putting it on a sturdier tripod.  It fits great on my Bogen 475.  Using that combo I've ran 4" F/7 refractors and a 6" SCT w/ 2" accessories just fine.  It can track a planet about 20 min before I need to recenter.  I've even taken 30 seconds pictures with no star trailing in alt az mode w/ those scopes.  It's a very capable mount if it's aligned right and on a good tripod.  

+1waytogo.gif

I got the az-gti used and head only, and with a bogen tripod, it holds my AT80ED very well for EAA. Should be great for visual.

20230718 200123

Bob

EAA Images:

NA nebula Stack 56frames 672s WithAnnotations WithAnnotations
Album: Sedona2023
15 images
0 comments

Edited by Bob Campbell, 17 February 2024 - 10:15 AM.

• paulsky and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#30 AstroApe

AstroApe

Viking 1

• Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina / 36°N / SQM≈21(Bortle ~4)

Posted 17 February 2024 - 03:26 PM

One of the actually cool things about the tripod that comes with the Sky-Watcher AZ-GTi, AZ5, AZ Pronto and maybe other SW mounts is that you can take advantage of that black plastic triangular accessory tray / leg brace that "ronrrm" above has left off the tripod in Post #20 above. I used a 1.25" hole saw and made six holes for 1.25" eyepieces in the tripod I got with my SW AZ Pronto

The previous owner of my AZ-GTi had tried this awesome mod on the tray. Unfortunately they don't do too well of a job :lol: I'm not sure what they'd tried to hack through it with but it wasn't an arbor & hole saw. Now the tray has two rough uneven holes that might hold a .965 EP in one and a 3" in the other.

I recommend buying just the mount head and putting it on a sturdier tripod.  It fits great on my Bogen 475.  Using that combo I've ran 4" F/7 refractors and a 6" SCT w/ 2" accessories just fine.  It can track a planet about 20 min before I need to recenter.  I've even taken 30 seconds pictures with no star trailing in alt az mode w/ those scopes.  It's a very capable mount if it's aligned right and on a good tripod.  

+1waytogo.gif

I got the az-gti used and head only, and with a bogen tripod, it holds my AT80ED very well for EAA. Should be great for visual.

Bob

EAA Images:

I second the recommended for a Manfrotto or Bogen tripod to pair with the AZ-GTi mount. I use mine on it's factory tripod and a Bogen 3046 that's older than I am, and there's definitely an improvement on the photo tripod vs the factory one.

IMG 20230708 212758231
IMG 20230816 183711491 HDR

• Bob Campbell and MarkMittlesteadt like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics