•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C4.5/ Vixen Polaris Mount

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 01 March 2024 - 07:17 AM

The two that I had, had no dents what so ever. This one (my favorite)has different (non crushing) rings.

No dents in mine as well gents.

#27 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 01 March 2024 - 07:32 AM

The two that I had, had no dents what so ever. This one (my favorite)has different (non crushing) rings.

What are "tube crushing" rings?

-drl

#28 reverse_syzygy

reverse_syzygy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:13 AM

What are "tube crushing" rings?

-drl

oooh, one I can answer!

HERE'S WHAT

that's my (uncrushed) 8V in original mode.  The tube sits on the saddle, and the rings are secured by that knob that attaches to saddle-tabs and rings.

Problem is that the tabs aren't at the same height as rest of saddle - note the gap between rings and tube - so if you over tighten that knob, the saddle acts as a fulcrum and .... *crush*

• Bomber Bob likes this

#29 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Aurora

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:18 AM

Did you have to modify the diode on the clock drive like Terra did?

No, the Tasco 1606 drive was advertised by Telescope Warehouse for use with the Vixen Polaris mount.

#30 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:48 AM

oooh, one I can answer!

HERE'S WHAT

that's my (uncrushed) 8V in original mode.  The tube sits on the saddle, and the rings are secured by that knob that attaches to saddle-tabs and rings.

Problem is that the tabs aren't at the same height as rest of saddle - note the gap between rings and tube - so if you over tighten that knob, the saddle acts as a fulcrum and .... *crush*

Thanks! Another (rare) example of a Japanese mount design decision that was not well-founded. Where did this first appear?

-drl

• reverse_syzygy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics