•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I saw something wierd in the sky tonight....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MetroGnome1

MetroGnome1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2024 - 09:49 PM

But I do not know how to identify it or see if others saw the same thing.  Is there a community room here or elsewhere that people report strange sightings?  And I am not talking about UFOs, I mean things like possible meteorites, gas clouds, Northern Lights where not usually seen, etc.

• MTibb likes this

#2 Alex Swartzinski

Alex Swartzinski

Apollo

• Loc: Observing in Northern/Southern Michigan, USA

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:04 PM

Was this object in the east? There was a deorbiting rocket stage visible around 7:27 tonight for those of us in the Great Lakes/New York area.

Edited by Alex Swartzinski, 14 February 2024 - 10:11 PM.

• tcifani and star acres like this

#3 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:06 PM

Did you see it  just east of Jupiter  and moon tonight  right at dusk EDT?  

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:12 PM

As marketing folks are apt to advise --- "Location, location, location."    Tom

• brentwood, tcifani and truckerfromaustin like this

#5 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:36 PM

But I do not know how to identify it or see if others saw the same thing.  Is there a community room here or elsewhere that people report strange sightings?  And I am not talking about UFOs, I mean things like possible meteorites, gas clouds, Northern Lights where not usually seen, etc.

This forum is the place to discuss naked-eye observations.

General Observing and Amateur Astronomy topics and questions that do not fit into our other forums. This includes unaided eye observing (satellites, weather, auroras etc) and non equipment topics (LASIK, observing sites, dressing for the cold/hot etc)

#6 MTibb

MTibb

Vostok 1

• Loc: Richmond Heights, OH

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:07 PM

From Northeast Ohio... Was setting up my refractor when I noticed an odd, sort of translucent looking light in the eastern sky, under Gemini. A "cloudiness" began to emanate from it - over the course of 30 seconds or so, the "cloud" grew to around 1° in size. The object continued towards the northeast and moved out of my view. The time was somewhere between 7:15 and 7:30pm EST.

#7 tcifani

tcifani

Messenger

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:20 AM

From Northeast Ohio... Was setting up my refractor when I noticed an odd, sort of translucent looking light in the eastern sky, under Gemini. A "cloudiness" began to emanate from it - over the course of 30 seconds or so, the "cloud" grew to around 1° in size. The object continued towards the northeast and moved out of my view. The time was somewhere between 7:15 and 7:30pm EST.

I saw something similar to this, from central NC at this same time. Viewed with binoculars, three white starlike points very close together in a line, all moving slowly in the eastern sky and moving along slowly to the East. The points were not blinking like an airplane. The one in front was much brighter but had a glowing cloudy or misty effect around it, almost as if cloudiness was being illuminated by the brighter object in front. It was not at all cloudy here. Then, as object(s) moved closer to eastern horizon, they dimmed and disappeared from view much like a satellite does once sunlight no longer shines on it in upper atmosphere. I chalked it up to a SpaceX Starlink satellite, although glowing cloudy/misty effect is puzzling.

• Terry Smith and MTibb like this

#8 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:12 AM

Rocket launch?

#9 LeoUK

LeoUK

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:29 AM

This sounds like it could be related. I'm thinking "launch" given the descriptions and image.

• Terry Smith likes this

#10 Terry Smith

Terry Smith

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:32 AM

I saw the same thing in Indiana about 7:25. I turned my telescope on it and it had about 5 or 6 lights in a row plus a very soft but glowing bottom light...almost nebulas in appearance. It was moving east. I thought it may have been the International Space Station but I don't know.

#11 Terry Smith

Terry Smith

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:36 AM

This sounds like it could be related. I'm thinking "launch" given the descriptions and image.

This is what I saw but the lights were all in a straight line.

#12 NeoMoses

NeoMoses

Explorer 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:44 AM

I think I saw the same thing.  Actually, my daughter noticed it first!   I'm on the north side of Detroit, saw this around 7:23 p.m. last night.  Looked like a fuzzy object with a bright core to the naked eye.  Was moving towards the east. My first thought is that it was a high altitude airplane through a light layer of clouds, but the sky was clear at the time.  Another airplane in the vicinity looked very clear.  

I took a quick look at stellarium and noticed some starlink satellites in the area at that time, but I couldn't see any other satellites with the naked eye.  I went inside to grab binoculars and when looking at it I could make out 2 distinct white lights moving together.  Similar to an airplane, but no blinking lights on this object.

Here's a link to a video I shot with a cell phone.  Not great quality, but it does capture it.

https://youtu.be/OCz8IjysrEc

#13 NeoMoses

NeoMoses

Explorer 1

Posted 15 February 2024 - 10:12 AM

Could it have been a Falcon 9 launch yesterday?

https://spaceflightn...EST (2230 UTC).

• Dave Mitsky likes this

#14 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

• Loc: Latchford, Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 February 2024 - 10:41 AM

Anomalous sightings seem to be increasing. I don't think anything I observed last night was related given the distance between the second-northernmost location (Michigan) and my property, but I had more than my fair share of things to report: lights the size and intensity of the ISS but halfway across the sky from each other and moving on parallel paths in the same direction, lights converging from different directions simultaneously into a vanishing point in southern Orion where they faded out, and one particular sighting of a bright sphere of yellowish-white light heading due S to N halfway to zenith in the eastern sky that was clearly not a plane when viewed in binoculars yet was constantly and rhythmically pulsating at a rate of about one and a half pulsations per second.

I don't appreciate the rise of man made objects and space junk in orbit, especially when they cross my FOV while I'm concentrating on some faint DSO, but when you stand back and put aside your prejudice it can be an interesting time to be alive in. I haven't seen so much  stuff in one sitting since I started watching the sky at the age of seven.

#15 Mikeyway Galaxy

Mikeyway Galaxy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:58 PM

I saw the event as well. I saw something similar while I was in the middle east in 2012. June 8th to be exact. It was confirmed to be an ICBM test. I am located in southern Ohio and the event was about 80° to 90° east and sort of close to the horizon. And as far as I know. The SpaceX launch was at 8:10pm. And this particular event took place at about 7:30pm I could be wrong though.

Edited by Mikeyway Galaxy, 15 February 2024 - 01:05 PM.

#16 NeoMoses

NeoMoses

Explorer 1

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:39 PM

I saw the event as well. I saw something similar while I was in the middle east in 2012. June 8th to be exact. It was confirmed to be an ICBM test. I am located in southern Ohio and the event was about 80° to 90° east and sort of close to the horizon. And as far as I know. The SpaceX launch was at 8:10pm. And this particular event took place at about 7:30pm I could be wrong though.

Well that's a scary prospect to think about!

#17 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:43 PM

Apparently, it was the upper-stage deorbital burn of the USSF-124 Falcon 9 rocket.

https://www.spacex.c...sionId=ussf-124

• David Knisely and SNH like this

#18 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:57 PM

Here's an article on a Falcon 9 deorbital burn that was seen throughout the Middle East in 2017.

https://spaceflight1...er-iran-kuwait/

• MTibb likes this

#19 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:15 PM

Was this object in the east? There was a deorbiting rocket stage visible around 7:27 tonight for those of us in the Great Lakes/New York area.

Hey, you ain't special, now! I saw it way down here in the Ozark Foothills at about 6:20pm CST.

I saw something similar to this, from central NC at this same time. Viewed with binoculars, three white starlike points very close together in a line, all moving slowly in the eastern sky and moving along slowly to the East. The points were not blinking like an airplane. The one in front was much brighter but had a glowing cloudy or misty effect around it, almost as if cloudiness was being illuminated by the brighter object in front. It was not at all cloudy here. Then, as object(s) moved closer to eastern horizon, they dimmed and disappeared from view much like a satellite does once sunlight no longer shines on it in upper atmosphere. I chalked it up to a SpaceX Starlink satellite, although glowing cloudy/misty effect is puzzling.

This is pretty much what I saw, except the brightest of the three was the most western one and the next two were progressively dimmer.

Scott H.

• tcifani and Alex Swartzinski like this

#20 Stinkyfungus

Stinkyfungus

Sputnik

• Loc: Earth... on a Tiny little lump of Basalt in the middle of the mighty Pacific Ocean

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:49 PM

Wait'll you guys see when Space X does a pre deorbit fuel purge  - 

that'll really bake your noodle.  picture something that LOOKS like a pretty large naked eye spiral galaxy,  but actually visibly rotating while it drifts across the sky...

one of the Falcons did that over hawaii a while back... the UFO call ins and tinfoil hat crowd were off the hook. 

https://youtu.be/CCu...Fk4KsTLpEh2jUld

Edited by Stinkyfungus, 15 February 2024 - 07:48 PM.

• Terry Smith, tcifani and LeoUK like this

#21 LeoUK

LeoUK

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:27 PM

that'll really bake your noodle.  picture something that LOOKS like a pretty large naked eye spiral galaxy,  but actually visibly rotating while it drifts across the sky...

one of the Falcons did that over hawaii a while back... the UFO call ins and tinfoil hat crowd were off the hook. 

Not the same launch, but still cool:

SpaceX Iridium 4 Launch from Alhambra, CA - YouTube

• Dave Mitsky, Alex Swartzinski and Stinkyfungus like this

#22 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

There's a video showing the USSF-124 Falcon 9 second stage deorbiting at https://www.youtube....h?v=Fxtyz3KO-Zc

• Stinkyfungus likes this

#23 Stinkyfungus

Stinkyfungus

Sputnik

• Loc: Earth... on a Tiny little lump of Basalt in the middle of the mighty Pacific Ocean

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:39 PM

There's a video showing the USSF-124 Falcon 9 second stage deorbiting at https://www.youtube....h?v=Fxtyz3KO-Zc

Not the same launch, but still cool:

SpaceX Iridium 4 Launch from Alhambra, CA - YouTube

twilight launches are the best...  

#24 SNH

SNH

Apollo

• Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:45 PM

I saw that a few years back just by chance while out observing and it freaked me out. It was a pale green, slowly rotating spiral over a full degree across in Cygnus. It made me imagine what seeing the LMC in the sky must be like! I'll never forget it.

Scott H.

#25 Neptunus Rex

Neptunus Rex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:53 PM

Just a few minutes ago, directly overhead in NW Ohio, moving from due south to due north. It was pulsating. Other than the moon and Jupiter, it was the brightest object in the sky. No collision or running lamps.

I had my phone with me, turned on Stellarium, no satellite indicated, even zoomed in.

I surmise a tumbling spent rocket booster. As it was moving due north, from Russia?

Edited by Neptunus Rex, 15 February 2024 - 07:53 PM.

• Astroman007 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics