•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I saw something wierd in the sky tonight....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Dazzleshine

Dazzleshine

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 08:52 PM

I believe there were 3 rocket launches yesterday. 2 from Florida and 1 from California. I'm almost positive that was what you saw.

#27 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

• Loc: Latchford, Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:48 PM

Just a few minutes ago, directly overhead in NW Ohio, moving from due south to due north. It was pulsating. Other than the moon and Jupiter, it was the brightest object in the sky. No collision or running lamps.

I had my phone with me, turned on Stellarium, no satellite indicated, even zoomed in.

I surmise a tumbling spent rocket booster. As it was moving due north, from Russia?

I saw something similar if not the same object last night around the same time.

See post #14.

#28 MetroGnome1

MetroGnome1

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:53 PM

Was this object in the east? There was a deorbiting rocket stage visible around 7:27 tonight for those of us in the Great Lakes/New York area.

From Northeast Ohio... Was setting up my refractor when I noticed an odd, sort of translucent looking light in the eastern sky, under Gemini. A "cloudiness" began to emanate from it - over the course of 30 seconds or so, the "cloud" grew to around 1° in size. The object continued towards the northeast and moved out of my view. The time was somewhere between 7:15 and 7:30pm EST.

I saw something similar to this, from central NC at this same time. Viewed with binoculars, three white starlike points very close together in a line, all moving slowly in the eastern sky and moving along slowly to the East. The points were not blinking like an airplane. The one in front was much brighter but had a glowing cloudy or misty effect around it, almost as if cloudiness was being illuminated by the brighter object in front. It was not at all cloudy here. Then, as object(s) moved closer to eastern horizon, they dimmed and disappeared from view much like a satellite does once sunlight no longer shines on it in upper atmosphere. I chalked it up to a SpaceX Starlink satellite, although glowing cloudy/misty effect is puzzling.

Yeah, I think you guys saw the same thing I did.  I am in southeast Tennessee.  It was around Gemini around the times you guys gave(EST).  From my view point the center was 'nebulous' with a 'halo ring' growing from it outward.  It almost seemed to be moving toward me. Dang phone was inside or I could have gotten nice video....

Thanks for the possibilities provided, and so in regard to my original question; it does seem that this particular forum is the place to discuss these sighting. However how did you guys know about the deorbiting rockets and launches and things?  What resources are available to find out such things?

Thanks

• MTibb likes this

#29 Neptunus Rex

Neptunus Rex

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 February 2024 - 10:25 PM

I believe there were 3 rocket launches yesterday. 2 from Florida and 1 from California. I'm almost positive that was what you saw.

Must have been the one from California. Florida can’t launch due north or due south.

#30 Skyscratcher88

Skyscratcher88

Vostok 1

Posted 16 February 2024 - 01:47 AM

Last night @715PM I saw a fast moving “satellite” moving East. The point of light separated into 2 points and a translucent bubble formed around it increasing in size 1-2* then over a minute or so dissipated.

I have seen this once before while cruising at 40,000’ from the cockpit at work.

I knew what it was last night. Pretty cool!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics