•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Daystar Quark and Totality

4 replies to this topic

#1 borr

borr

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast Ohio, USA

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:34 AM

Ok, so being in the path of totality, I plan to try a time lapse but have a question:

If I wanted to use my Quark Chromosphere while lucky imaging the eclipse, will I see anything at all during totality or will it just be black? No diamond ring, or corona, or ring of fire, anything at all? Would increasing the camera gain (asi174mm) and/or exposure time when totality starts do anything to help? Anybody have any experience with this?

Or, should I just keep it simple and stick with a white light filter that I can easily remove and replace at the appropriate time? 

#2 Zhengyi

Zhengyi

Vostok 1

Posted 18 February 2024 - 01:15 AM

You wouldn't be able to see diamond ring or corona with Quark.

During the totality you would see nothing in the eyepiece, except maybe prominence along the edge.

I would just use a while light filter, easier to remove.
  • borr likes this

#3 Napp

Napp

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 18 February 2024 - 03:20 AM

Very poor choice for totality. You do not want any filter during totality. A full aperture white light filter that can easily be removed for totality is a better choice.
  • borr likes this

#4 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Viking 1

• Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 18 February 2024 - 09:11 AM

Or;  you can have one telescope with the quark for the partial phases and another telescope with a white light filter that you can easily remove for the total phase of the eclipse.

• borr likes this

#5 borr

borr

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeast Ohio, USA

Posted 18 February 2024 - 01:00 PM

Or;  you can have one telescope with the quark for the partial phases and another telescope with a white light filter that you can easily remove for the total phase of the eclipse.

Right. I'm less impressed with white light images so I was thinking about doing just what you said and combining the images in post for the best of both worlds. Good idea! 

• RNSpeed likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics