•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TeleVue TV-102 and Reducer/Corrector

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MLinn

MLinn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:12 AM

Hello everyone.  I have been using a TeleVue TV-102 (880mm f/8.6) visually for years.  I really love it and don't want to part with it.  Recently, I've had a renewed interest in using it for astrophotography.  In considering this comes the issue of correcting the lens group for a flat field.  I just want to use it for prime focus.  The TV .8 flattener and adapter are very pricy, and outside my limited budget.  As a much cheaper alternative, I am considering the Stellarvue SFFR102-2 Reducer for 102mm f/7 Refractors.  I have contacted Stellarvue, but they aren't sure whether it will work.  Their product description indicates "it will work with other refractors of similar focal length," but is f/8.6 too long to work well?  Does anyone have experience with this?  If so, I would sure appreciate your advice on this.  Thank you, Mitch  

#2 MLinn

MLinn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2024 - 09:59 AM

Here is another thought to go with this (I meant to include it).  Having reviewed this a bit online, and in discussion with others, it seems to me that shorter focal length telescopes require longer extensions for the reducer. Alternately, with longer focal lengths, shorter extensions.  This understanding is important because the Stellarvue SFFR102-2 Reducer may not work because of too little space.  Is this understanding correct?  If so, does anyone know of another alternative reducer that is cheaper?  Thanks again.

#3 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: There’s Trouble in River City!

Posted 17 February 2024 - 10:32 AM

I’ve heard very good things about the TS-flat. It’s very reasonable in cost, works with many different telescopes, and works well from what I hear. You should check it out.

This one: https://www.teleskop...onnection-10307

Edited by Terra Nova, 17 February 2024 - 10:34 AM.

#4 MLinn

MLinn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 February 2024 - 01:04 PM

Wow, 30K posts, that's incredible.  I'll listen to anything you have to say.grin.gif Thanks for the recommendation.  I'll certainly check it out.  Best, Mitch  

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics