•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Eclipse viewing in northern Vermont

Astrophotography Eclipse
3 replies to this topic

#1 bosastroguy

bosastroguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Woburn, MA

Posted 17 February 2024 - 12:16 PM

I'm looking forward to the Solar Eclipse on 4/8/24.  I"m planning on viewing and imaging the eclipse from Lake Elmore, Vermont.  There is a state park there which they will be opening for the day for the eclipse.  This site will have about 3 minutes of totality.  I hope this post wont create a "stampede" to the site but if there are any other photographers who will be in the area, we could meet up and assist one another with imaging.  This will be my first total solar eclipse.grin.gif  I'm planning on doing some praticing before that, of course, with my new solar filter.  I"ll be shooting with my Canon 70D modified or Canon 6D DSLR.  I'll be using my Canon 70-200 L f/4 lens with a 2x converter, which will give me 640 mm or 400 mm focal length.  I"ve been watching videos on You Tube and reading this forum in preparation.  Any other resources that people are using are appreciated.  Lets hope for clear skies everywhere on 4/8.  smile.png

• Look at the sky 101 likes this

#2 astrohamp

astrohamp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts, Vermont way up north sometimes

Posted 17 February 2024 - 12:45 PM

Good luck

This web site for timings.

Eclipse Orchestrator to run your camera(s).  Practice...Practice...Practice.  Including put on/off solar filters.

Will also generate timings.

Install a side-by-side (tandem) plate on you mount and run two cameras at different focal lengths.

Over/under works for some.

Bring warm (polar/arctic) clothes, a substantial wind break if out in field, propane heater, warm fluids...

Binoculars can be fun during if you remember.  Safety first.

Search the forums for the accumulated and vast knowledge of others.

Enjoy the day.

• Xeroid likes this

#3 geovermont

geovermont

Viking 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 18 February 2024 - 12:17 PM

As a "veteran" of exactly one total solar eclipse (2017), I'll recommend that you only budget a small portion of totality for the photography. I'd say spend most of the time just visually observing or maybe binocular viewing. And just looking around, etc. It's so wild and happens so fast and is so unlike the rest of life.

I'll also be in northern Vermont. I'm planning on some very limited photography this time, but just an HDR sequence of the corona. I'm trying to keep it to about one minute out of the 3 minutes. We'll see if I even remember to do that during the event!

#4 astrohamp

astrohamp

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Massachusetts, Vermont way up north sometimes

Posted 18 February 2024 - 07:17 PM

"Filters Off"!

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Eclipse

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics