•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is L.A.'s South Bay Astronomical Society still active?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John the Space Traveler

John the Space Traveler

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: American Southwest

Posted 18 February 2024 - 01:41 AM

A question for anybody living in the Los Angeles area.

Is the South Bay Astronomical Society still active?  They met for years at the El Camino College Planetarium.  Neither their formal web site nor their El Camino College listing has been updated since around 2017, and I didn't get an email response.

Thanks!

Edited by John the Space Traveler, 18 February 2024 - 03:52 AM.

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Skylab

• Loc: Near San Francisco Bay

Posted 18 February 2024 - 03:21 AM

"Journal of the South Bay Astronomical Society – February 2024" could be a clue. There are some names and phone numbers that might also be clues, but otherwise there are few signs of life.

#3 BFaucett

BFaucett

Gemini

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.8° N

Posted 18 February 2024 - 05:59 AM

"Journal of the South Bay Astronomical Society – February 2024" could be a clue. There are some names and phone numbers that might also be clues, but otherwise there are few signs of life.

Your link points back to this thread.

Bob F.

#4 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA

Posted 18 March 2024 - 03:39 PM

Your link points back to this thread.

Bob F.

https://www.elcamino...al-society.aspx

OP may have been referring to the site above.  Yes, everything on line appears dated.

I do know that El Camino College still has public planetarium shows, and still teaches astronomy classes with students using their large observatory telescopes as part of the practicum.  I'm pretty sure private (club member) telescopes still supplement the college telescopes for viewing after public planetarium shows. 

If I get additional information about the South Bay club, I'll pass it along.  Otherwise, I think the best bet would be to show up at one of those public planetarium shows and see for yourself.

• John the Space Traveler likes this

#5 John the Space Traveler

John the Space Traveler

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: American Southwest

Posted 18 March 2024 - 08:16 PM

https://www.elcamino...al-society.aspx

OP may have been referring to the site above.  Yes, everything on line appears dated.

I do know that El Camino College still has public planetarium shows, and still teaches astronomy classes with students using their large observatory telescopes as part of the practicum.  I'm pretty sure private (club member) telescopes still supplement the college telescopes for viewing after public planetarium shows. 

If I get additional information about the South Bay club, I'll pass it along.  Otherwise, I think the best bet would be to show up at one of those public planetarium shows and see for yourself.

Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate your help.  Somehow I overlooked their newsletter link, which says they're active.  (see: http://www.sbastro.n.../firstlight.pdf )   

I used to go to SBAS meetings when I was a student there 10 years ago, and I know they've had some faculty turnover since that time (who previously supported SBAS using the planetarium for meetings), so I wondered if that affected their existence on campus and the lack of updates on the web.  ElCo's official web site is indeed out-of-date, but now that I have the above link, I see they are still meeting there.  Thanks again.

• Zebra24601 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics