•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another "bomb cyclone" hits NorCal

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2024 - 08:35 AM

I havent used the scopes since october.   It would seem we’re in a wet period for california last year and this year.  Lots of cloudy and partly cloudy nights!   Itll be interesting to see what summer brings. Last summer was a lot of cloudiness too.  Very odd for my desert locale.  

#27 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:59 AM

This winter is seemingly no different than last--lots of rain.

According to my rain gauge, we got 7" of rain last week, where 15" is the normal annual rainfall.

But I was here in the winter of '77-'78. when we got 38" of rain in 3 months, so heavy rainfall winters aren't new.

More of concern is that so little of this is falling as snow in the upper elevations.

It's warmer than average at altitude and a lot of precipitation is falling as rain.

But, our winter precipitation lasts till the end of March, so we'll see...

• gene 4181 and SporadicGazer like this

#28 brionl

brionl

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:03 PM

That's better than having the San Andreas fault rupturing and dumping California into the ocean isn't it? Besides, the frogs will eat the locusts which will plump them up and frog legs are delicious. You have to consider the brighter side of our impending, collective tragedy.

Latest projections show a split on the San Andreas fault dropping the rest of the US into the Atlantic Ocean. grin.gif

I've lived in/near the SF Bay on and off for 40 years and winter being week after week of dismal grey clouds with no breaks is actually pretty typical for October through March.

The amount of rain vs just overcast is much higher than usual this year though.

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#29 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:05 PM

Just an FYI: The San Andreas is a slip fault--it slides sideways.  CA will not drop into the ocean.

Sometime in the future, though, Los Angeles and San Francisco will be side by side.

IN 16 TO 20 MILLION YEARS!

Edited by Starman1, 22 February 2024 - 07:41 PM.

• kfiscus, KI5CAW, Mike in Rancho and 2 others like this

#30 hyiger

hyiger

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 22 February 2024 - 05:50 PM

Just an FYI: The San Andreas is a slip fault--it slides sideways.  CA will not drop into the ocean.

Sometime in the future, though, Los Angeles and San Francisco will be side by side.

That would definitely shorten my commute then...

• John O'Hara likes this

#31 desert_sage

desert_sage

Ranger 4

• Loc: California

Posted 22 February 2024 - 08:36 PM

CA will not drop into the ocean.

I read a short SF story years ago where the punchline was that California was fine, it was the rest of North America that fell into the ocean...

• PNW and Mike in Rancho like this

#32 moefuzz

moefuzz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2024 - 09:16 PM

In my 56 years of living in Cali before moving northward, we never had the recurring massive wildfires, massive atmospheric rivers, record hot summers and bomb cyclones until about 2012 or so. Then it seems the floodgates were opened. 

A side effect of 'introducing' huge amounts of increased smoke into the atmosphere has a direct correlation to increased cloud and rain/snow.

Rain and Snow are natures way of taking a speck of dust and returning it to the terrafirma.

More smoke = more precipitation, they are chained events

As a side note, Chile is experiencing very new to them massive "wild"fires as we speak (during their summer month's).

Edited by moefuzz, 22 February 2024 - 09:19 PM.

#33 SporadicGazer

SporadicGazer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Posted 23 February 2024 - 12:07 AM

Latest projections show a split on the San Andreas fault dropping the rest of the US into the Atlantic Ocean. grin.gif ....

I certainly hope those projections are wrong since most of the Bay Area is on the Atlantic side of the San Andreas fault.

PS- I joke here, but I'm confident I don't need to worry about the San Andreas fault.  (1) I'm old, so the window is small.  (2) the Hayward fault is over due and probably going to kill us all before the San Andreas has it's next "big one".

#34 12BH7

12BH7

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: North of Phoenix Arizona

Posted 23 February 2024 - 09:57 AM

IF there's any up side to being in an El Nino patter for the last three years, I started doing lunar and planetary.

I've been a DSO guy for over 30 yeas.   Having only had four or five "decent" nights out over the last three years, instead of giving up I started looking at the moon - now I'm hooked.

#35 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:21 AM

The San Andreas is a strike slip fault. The land moves sideways, not up or down, so California will not slide into the sea. However, the San Andreas is also close to the surface, so if there is a quake, the ground shaking will be violent. Secure your telescope between uses.

And our perception of climate is inaccurate because we have short life spans. What happened over the last 10,000 years is more meaningful than what happened in the last 50. That being said, I feel your astro-pain. Endless clouds are decidedly depressing.

#36 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 23 February 2024 - 12:30 PM

That's what they've always told us!  But plate and continent movement may not pan out exactly as projected.  https://en.wikipedia...iki/Walker_Lane

As with quakes themselves, that kind of 3D fracture mechanics must be difficult if not impossible to correctly model and predict.  Either way I don't want NorCal weather for my astro.  Do we end up with Cabo in 20my?  I'll move there.  tongue2.gif

#37 daveb2022

daveb2022

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Joaquin Valley

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:38 PM

Only a few more observing nights will catch me up to and surpass last year's (lousy) 10 February observing sessions. I got some time in during the last two nights, but more wet weather is on the way. Still got about a week so I'm hopeful. Currently, it looks like this year is a lot like last year. In fact when I look back on my logs, they are all the same on average. In February it's common the have high winds and rain that plague the orchard ranchers. We get those odd years with heavy floods like in 1997 but those are very rare. Feels like a normal wet year and that is coming from someone who has worked in the elements for over 40 years. If it wasn't for bad weather, I couldn't afford my hobbies. Lot's of OT.

I think the most recent change has been the lack of temps dropping into the mid 20's. I rarely get frost on my OTA anymore like I did in the early 2000's.Not as much fog either, but I attribute that to drip irrigation and a change is crop types over the years.

#38 moefuzz

moefuzz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:40 PM

Yo, that shii is wack!

I'll send you a tex when it goes pass my house,

for realz this time

Edited by moefuzz, 24 February 2024 - 12:52 PM.

#39 moefuzz

moefuzz

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:46 PM

My new Seestar is a NoSeestar but I have a new creek beside my house sad.png

My Mead got so damp that it grew mold on top and it turned into a 10" beer with a 1174 focal length.

#40 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Soyuz

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:51 PM

You better hope not. Who wants to live on both coasts simultaneously?

You mean like living on the southern tip of an island that runs north south? 

Bill

• FoxIslandHiker likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics