•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The cycle continues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 February 2024 - 10:51 PM

I live next to one of the most beautiful scenic lakes in Ontario. In some places, jagged rocky shorelines, while in other areas, the rocks are sculpted smooth by glaciers eons ago. She is a beautiful and deep lake, yes, but merciless if disrespected. Nature at it's best.

Tonight the wind is howling through the treetops. Through the leafless deciduous trees, the stars are gleaming brightly. The moon is bright, in Gemini now, climbing higher each night towards full. Orion has begun tipping, aiming his bow to Taurus, getting lower in the west. Horned owls are hooting in the pines on the ridge, soon they will be nesting, a sign that spring is near. A beautiful night to be out, marveling at nature and the clockwork in the sky..

Nature's clockwork in action, yes, tonight the snow is now drifting from the lake ice onto the lakeshore, after being unimpeded across several miles of open ice. Beautiful and yet masking the danger that lies under the stillness. In only a few months, the Peregrine falcons will again be nesting and shortly after the ice is out, the wails of the loons will again pierce the night stillness on the deep lake. Nature's cycle in action, just like the stars and constellations as they march ever west while the moon moves east against them.

Exactly 7 days ago, last weekend, helicopters were flying overhead. Three people had been out enjoying a Sunday hike near my home and made the mistake of walking onto the ice. All three went through. Only one was able to extract himself, the other two were lost, and recovered by police divers then next day. I am saddened at the price they paid.

As I watched the sky tonight, and thought of the tragic happenings, it occurred to me. We too, are but a small part of the circle of the clockwork of nature. Nature can be dangerous, yet beautiful. Contemplating life, under the starry sky, things feel a bit better this weekend. The cycle continues.

• Inkswitch, payner, mountain monk and 4 others like this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 18 February 2024 - 11:43 PM

Alas --- Sad but true. Thin ice is indeed prohibitively dangerous. Here in "Upstate NY" we get a few every season falling through... individuals, cars, snowmobiles. When in doubt, don't go out. Our "Finger Lakes" down here are ice-free at the moment. Most seasons they safely host Ice Fishing at this time of year.   Tom

• CharLakeAstro likes this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Hubble

• Loc: Latchford, Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 February 2024 - 10:35 AM

Nature is the same way no matter where in the world you are. Always to be respected as a power greater than yours that cannot be begged of or reasoned with, yet predictable once one knows it better. And often the greatest and most constant friend you'll have.

• CharLakeAstro and Sebastian_Sajaroff like this

#4 TayM57

TayM57

Vanguard

• Loc: Stellar Cartography Lab, U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701-D

Posted 19 February 2024 - 12:15 PM

Good post. I'm fairly a risk-adverse individual and would never walk on any ice of any thickness. Too many unknowns. Too many variables. Those who do for ice fishing, are brave souls.

• CharLakeAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics