•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

sturdy tripod for binocular viewing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 genro

genro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:28 AM

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sturdy binocular tripod and a place to buy one for a frugal person . I will be in totality, probably in Missouri, on April 8 and would like to upgrade from my Solidex I bought at Sears in 1989. Thank you.

Jeff

• Nankins likes this

#2 Nankins

Nankins

Viking 1

• Loc: rural Warren County, Indiana

Posted 20 February 2024 - 10:49 AM

I don't use a tripod. Have you ever tried laying on your back? This way you can brace your arms without killing them and there's less shake. Also you don't get the neck strain that can happen with tripods.

Or find a parallelogram mount. I've never used one other than at a local observatory that has a giant bino pair and it was just as comfortable as lying on the ground.
  • jcj380 and genro like this

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Cosmos

• Loc: Kane County Illinois

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:26 AM

What size of binos are you trying to mount?

Goodwill/craig's list is a good source of tripods.

For my 10x50's I use a outdoor lounge chair with a high back I can rest my head on.

I don't know how handy you are, but the best bang for the buck tripods are surveyors tripods.  You would have to figure out how to mount a head to them.

• genro likes this

#4 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:26 AM

I have an Oberwerk 5000 fluid head and tripod, but I'm not sure that combo would meet your definition of frugal.  They work well with my Giant View 15x70s, which are heavy compared to my other binos.

• Rome and Astroman007 like this

#5 genro

genro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 February 2024 - 12:32 PM

What size of binos are you trying to mount?

Goodwill/craig's list is a good source of tripods.

For my 10x50's I use a outdoor lounge chair with a high back I can rest my head on.

I don't know how handy you are, but the best bang for the buck tripods are surveyors tripods.  You would have to figure out how to mount a head to them.

Thanks for the tips. My binocs are 10x50 as well.

• sevenofnine likes this

#6 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:26 PM

Welcome to C/N! flowerred.gif

If you take a camp chair with you and view from a seated position then just about any photo/video tripod will work. Standing means your tripod must be very tall and sturdy therefore not cheap. I use the Oberwerk 4000 for my 20x70 but the 3000 may work fine if your binoculars are smaller and lighter. Do put high quality solar filters on the objectives or irreversible eye damage/blindness will result. Good luck and enjoy the eclipse! borg.gif

https://oberwerk.com...ies-tripodhead/.

Edited by sevenofnine, 20 February 2024 - 02:28 PM.

• genro likes this

#7 jcj380

jcj380

Skylab

• Loc: Out in the night, in the whispering breezes

Posted 20 February 2024 - 02:34 PM

Somebody on another forum took a mini tripod, removed one leg, and braces the remaining two legs against his upper chest.  This is using a fixed-leg minipod, not a Gumby-like bendy one.  There are no long legs to get in the way, it's a very compact set-up, and can be used in any position.  Plus it's cheap!

I'm going to give one a try as soon as I get a chance to stop by BestBuy or whoever.  

• Astroman007 likes this

#8 Sebastian_Sajaroff

Sebastian_Sajaroff

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 February 2024 - 06:42 PM

10x50 ? No tripod !

Just lay down on a camping chair (or zero gravity chair), or on the ground.

It's even better if you hold them with a monopod.

• Freezout likes this

#9 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 20 February 2024 - 11:47 PM

A less expensive option for supporting a 10x50 binocular is a pistol grip monopod. Oberwerk sells a good one borg.gif

https://oberwerk.com...tion-ball-head/.

• Steve Cox and RiderRoy like this

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:38 AM

Moved to Equip for better fit, as this forum is for Non equipment discussion.

#11 Rome

Rome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:49 PM

I used an Orion Paragon Plus for nearly a decade before I upgraded to an Oberwerk 5000 series tripod and head and had no complaints. For a 50mm binocular it would work great and even work well for a lighter pair of 70mm. Check out the Orion and also check out the Oberwerk 4000 or even the 3000 tripod/head combos. Really anything Oberwerk sells is top notch and has a great warranty. 

• RiderRoy likes this

#12 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Bolivar, MO

Posted 22 February 2024 - 10:53 PM

A less expensive option for supporting a 10x50 binocular is a pistol grip monopod. Oberwerk sells a good one borg.gif

https://oberwerk.com...tion-ball-head/.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest.  It's my favorite mounting for my 9x63, and the monopod also has the benefit of allowing me to comfortably steady the bino while lying in my zero g chaise lounge.  Most versatile setup for small-med binos I know of.

• RiderRoy and Sebastian_Sajaroff like this

#13 Freezout

Freezout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands, Bortle 5 zone, elevation 18 meters

Posted 23 February 2024 - 03:39 AM

Tripods and straight-through binoculars do not mix well for my taste, they only brought me neck pain and tedious contortions while trying every configuration possible.

With magnification of 10x you will have enough with a good chair or laying on the ground, pillows to support your arms holding it, and you can even add a monopod to relax at some point. As you can guess, it's what I use with the 10x50 listed in my equipment, and it works quite good for a whole session.

• jcj380 and Sebastian_Sajaroff like this

#14 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Asheville NC

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:40 AM

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sturdy binocular tripod and a place to buy one for a frugal person . I will be in totality, probably in Missouri, on April 8 and would like to upgrade from my Solidex I bought at Sears in 1989. Thank you.

Jeff

I love the Apertura Carbon Fiber tripod, it’s as good as my Gitzo but half the price. I use a $35 skywatcher extension column and a small rig mount with my BT100-SD. It is top mount. If that don’t work the Stellarvue M02 will work if you need a side mount dovetail connection. But the use of this tripod knocks off 5 or more pounds. 

https://www.highpoin...fhoCUKMQAvD_BwE

https://oberwerk.com.../smallrig-dh10/

#15 PIEJr

PIEJr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Los Angeles County, Southern California

Posted 03 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

Two suggestions:

1. I love my Orion Parallelogram mount. I don't think Orion sells theirs separately anymore, But there are others.

2. A Monopod. I have a Sirui and really like it.

But generally, most camera tripods can be made to be good support systems for binoculars that have mounting systems on them.

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 March 2024 - 07:26 AM

Frugal = Craigslist = Bogen tripods.  

Do a Craigslist search on Bogen and see what pops up..  Something like this 3050 is an excellent tripod.

https://orangecounty...7723982238.html

Jon

• genro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics