•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wide Angle Photography Filtering?

No replies to this topic

#1 JPLarry

JPLarry

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:03 PM

Among other things, I would like to get some wide angle shots of the eclipse (probably through partial and total phases). What I can't find much information on is filtering. A lot of folks say to have a solar filter on the camera just like you would with a telephoto, but it seems to me that at 24mm or something similar, it is no different than shooting a landscape with the sun any other day, where filters aren't as needed or important. I am thinking of having an ND filter (maybe 6 to 10 stop) over the front of the lens so that I can see some of the partial phases and not have the sensor be overwhelmed, but other than that, do I need to take any special precautions when shooting a landscape type of shot?

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics