•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newbie: If i screw my dslr into eyepiece with T adapter....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PilotGuyTheCFI

PilotGuyTheCFI

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2024 - 09:50 PM

It's probably ridiculously basic question. But there's something I'm not getting. So if I get a tee adapter for my DSLR and thread on the T adapter onto where the lens would normally go on my DSLR and then insert that whole assembly into were the eyepiece of the telescope would normally go - what serves as the lens at that point in my reflector telescope?

#2 gstrumol

gstrumol

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: north of Detroit, Michigan USA

Posted 24 February 2024 - 10:10 PM

So when I use my Canon T7 DSLR to take an image of the moon with my AT80EDL refractor I screw on the lens portion of a 2X Barlow onto the T adapter. 

#3 MR. TAFTER

MR. TAFTER

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:12 PM

If I'm understanding you're question correctly, it's the mirrors of your reflector that will act as the lense(s). They will focus the light onto the sensor of your DSLR.
  • RedLionNJ likes this

#4 EGregerson

EGregerson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Newport News, VA

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:16 PM

Eye piece projection I believe

#5 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 24 February 2024 - 11:25 PM

No lens required there. You can see this for yourself by putting a piece of waxed paper over the top of the focuser and focusing while aiming at the moon. It will put up a small image of the moon, which is what is also being captured by the camera’s sensor with a camera in place.
BUT fyi some reflectors can’t reach focus with a T adapter and dslr. They need a a shorter focuser or added barlow.

#6 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Voyager 1

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 25 February 2024 - 02:28 AM

The telescope is your lens, whether a reflector or a refractor. It's called prime focus imaging.
  • sharkmelley and michael8554 like this

#7 kathyastro

kathyastro

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:03 PM

The telescope is the "lens".

#8 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Vanguard

• Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 03 March 2024 - 06:13 PM

Yes, the (main) objective mirror or lens functions just like your camera lens. It creates an image in space, at ‘the focal plane’.
You capture an image by placing your camera’s sensor at that focal plane.

(When you use an eyepiece, you are essentially using the eyepiece as a magnifying glass to view the image created by the objective lens or mirror.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics